Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur

firefly

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 04:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
that baby is what it looks like to live an ethical live...

Sounds more like the jailhouse "morality" you find among inmates in prisons.

That's not ethics. It's sociopathy.
Quote:
I have never worked in a place where we were not expected to lie to the state, at the very least to the health department, but also to unemployment.

Then you've had good on-the-job training in sociopathy, and now you're mentoring others the same way.

I wonder how many people would want to eat in your restaurant if they knew the Health Dept. was being lied to?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 05:09 pm
@firefly,
everybody lies to the health department and the health department knows it...it is a game we play, they ask us questions about practices and if we give the right answers abd they dont see too many complaints about making people sick then they assume that we know enough to avoid the big food safety issues. another part of this game is that they come in, announce themselves, and spend 5 minutes setting up shop in the dinning room giving us time to take care if issues. the theory that uf we know the rules well enough to do this and have few enough problems that we can fix them in 5 minutes then we are probably doing ok. ...plus they get to announce to thir bosses and the citizens that the restaurants are safe. another part of the game us that staff gets asked about our practices...so long as they give back the right answer the health department figures we are probably doing ok. I teach this test on a regular basis..." if she asks you this then what do you tell her?"

"if people knew how the sausage is really made, as opposed to the propaganda that is fed to them about the sausage, would they want sausage?"....who knows, but I dont see that happening, and I am just a guy who is trying to run a business in the current reality.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 05:19 pm
Quote:
The New York Times
June 24, 2013
Paula’s Worst Ingredients

By FRANK BRUNI

Paula Deen is where sass meets crass, where the homespun and folksy curdle into something with a sour aftertaste.

Her manner may be as sugary as her cooking, her smile as big as the hams she hawked for Smithfield. But she doesn’t pause when she should. Doesn’t question herself when she must.

There’s a dearth of reflection, a deficit of introspection, and that’s not just a generational thing and not just a regional thing, as some of her fans and other observers have begun to assert, unprepared to surrender their image of Paula the Southern Eccentric to the reality of Paula the Deep-Fried Boor.

It’s a judgment thing. A sensitivity thing. It’s what happens when your shtick proves as golden as hers and your world is larded with handlers who only say “yes” and fans who only say “more.” You don’t think anybody could possibly see anything untoward in you. So you stop looking for, adjusting to, and correcting the untoward impulses that are in every last one of us.

A fresh illustration of this traveled through cyberspace on Monday, a video that shows Deen at The New York Times last October, being interviewed onstage by my colleague Kim Severson. The subject of race comes up.

“I feel like the South is almost less prejudiced,” Deen says, “because black folks played such an integral part in our lives. They were like our family.”

That statement alone is awkward — she’s referring to servants, presumably — but she doesn’t stop there. Motioning to the inky backdrop behind her and Severson, she notes that her beloved driver, bodyguard and assistant, Hollis Johnson, is as “black as that board.”

“Come out here, Hollis,” she adds, looking offstage and directing the audience’s attention there. “We can’t see you standing against that dark board.”

That’s a lot of apparent focus on skin color, in a vein so breezy it really does make you wonder, especially given what that creepy deposition brought to light last week. She admitted having used “the n word,” more than once. She admitted finding beauty in a “plantation-style wedding” with an all-black wait staff. From her butter to her banter, she’s a Confederate caricature, and a reminder of a past that’s still too present.

Just how far have we trekked on our long road toward a more colorblind, equitable society? Just how hurtfully do we still stumble? Such questions are prominent this week, with the Supreme Court sidestepping an affirmative-action decision and testimony in the Trayvon Martin case set to begin. We’re once again taking stock.

And it’s this backdrop that’s relevant to Deen’s firing by the Food Network and, on Monday, by Smithfield Foods. In a world of pervasive insult and elusive consensus, she provided a discrete opportunity for a line to be drawn. She served up a teachable moment on a platter.

There’s almost always a larger context like that when someone falls as spectacularly as Deen has fallen, and there’s almost always a prelude: a first strike.

Hers was in early 2012. That’s when she lost the benefit of the doubt, not racially but in terms of her character, by revealing that she had been diagnosed three years earlier with Type 2 diabetes, which is abetted by the calorie bombs on which her empire thrived.

This disclosure was timed not to benefit her fans, who were continuing to follow her fatty counsel, but to benefit her: one of her sons had a new healthy-cooking show that needed promoting, and she herself was stepping out as a spokeswoman — a paid spokeswoman — for a diabetes drug.

What’s more, the triumphant cynicism of this situation seemed lost on her. She beamed as always. Was saucy as ever. You knew then that she had levitated to some altitude where she felt above reproach; that her investment in the bacon-wrapped burlesque of Paula, Inc., trumped a healthy conscience; and that self-examination was a condiment gone from her larder. And it’s through the lens of that knowledge that many Americans responded to her deposition and questioned what was in her heart.

Others have urged clemency, noting that she’s 66 years old and has lived her life far south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Please. All of her adult years postdate the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and she’s a citizen of the world, traveling wide and far to peddle her wares. If she can leave Georgia for the sake of commerce, she can leave Georgia in the realm of consciousness.

Beyond which, people can change, growing past wrongful ways in the name of what’s right. We pass new laws. We adopt new language. That’s the recipe for progress: putting justice ahead of habit, principle over precedent.

It’s not one that’s been mastered by Deen, whose worst ingredient isn’t corn syrup or Crisco but willful obtuseness.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/25/opinion/bruni-paulas-worst-ingredients.html?hp
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 05:31 pm
@firefly,
Paula Dean sold the people what they wanted to buy, making herself fairly wealthy. a classic American success story is what she was till last week.
firefly

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Paula Dean sold the people what they wanted to buy, making herself fairly wealthy. a classic American success story is what she was till last week.

I've never bought any thing she sells, nor watched her cooking shows on the Food Network. And neither has anyone else I know.

And no one posting in this thread has said they were consumers of her wares or of her cooking.

So she wasn't selling to a really broad market. Her appeal seems to have been to a certain niche. But I agree that her rise is a classic American success story, albeit quite modest when compared to many others. But, were she to retire, and go into seclusion, I don't think her absence from the culinary or cultural landscape would leave any sort of void. Even her fans on the Food Network will simply find something else to watch. There are considerably better chefs, and considerably better purveyors of Southern fare. I'm not sure what her legacy, if any, will be other than the fact she managed to attain some sort of celebrity status for a period of time.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:19 pm
@firefly,
Void? My wife hated her show. My wife said, "good riddance" when she lost her show on Food Network.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I never liked her either, she seemed fake to me in a way I dont like....the "y'all's" were fingernails on the chalkboard for me.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 09:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
sometime around 07 PD came to the Fort Lewis PX for a book signing, it was supposed to be for 4 hours........the line went on forever, she ended up staying for 7 hours. I did not go, but I sure knew about it, and people would tell me about their experience of waiting hours for her, and loving how gracious she was for a year or more after . This was a BIG deal.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 09:45 pm
Quote:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/06/25/will-anyone-stand-by-paula-deen-or-is-toast/

Country cooking queen Paula Deen's admission last week that she had used the N-word in the past is causing some companies to abandon ship, but not the cruise that bears her name.
Deen's annual “Paula Deen Cruise” on board the “Mariner of the Seas” has been flooded with so many calls, the cruise is adding an extra departure in 2014.
"Due to so many requests from Paula’s fans in the past we are actually planning two cruises for 2014 and look forward to both," a rep for the cruise told FOX411's Pop Tarts column. "It’s always an amazing time with Paula, her family and fans. If she goes – we go."
And the cruise line is not alone.
Deen, 66, is scheduled to make appearances at the Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show in Houston and Dallas in September, and in Washington, DC in November. She remains a key personality on the website with tickets to see her specifically ranging from $95 to $500.
“Paula Deen has been a friend of The Metropolitan Cooking & Entertaining Show for many years. She has apologized and we are taking her apology at her word and moving forward accordingly,” the show's rep told us. “The Metropolitan Cooking & Entertaining Show does not condone or believe in the use of derogatory slurs by anyone. This is a nation of forgiveness and second chances. In that spirit we intend to go forward with the MetroCooking Shows in Houston, Dallas and Washington, DC as planned with Paula as a presenter.”
Another company standing by Deen is the Vicroza Brand, who brought Deen onboard last year to hawk their diabetes drug Novo Nordisk.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/06/25/will-anyone-stand-by-paula-deen-or-is-toast/#ixzz2XI4BEr5Y
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 10:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
dean seems to have trouble knowing where the line is..the line on hostile work environment is that when someone complains to the state and they come around asking questions the staff needs to have my back, to the point of lying till the state goes away. we shall see if Dean had the line here.

Footnote Hawkeye my old firm was having a major FDA audit and such audits if they go badly can end up bankrupting a firm such as our so it was an all hands on desk situation.

With training of what to say and what not to say to the auditors questions and so on.

However the auditor they send was a damn fine looking woman with nice legs shown off by her wearing a short a very short dress.

Some idiot gave out a large wolf whistle on first sight and the lady was not happy at all and we was then told that along with all the others do and do not do that had been already covered with us wolf whistles was in the do not do classification no matter how fine the FDA inspector happen to be.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 10:06 pm
What I'd like to know is why Lisa Jackson was suing for $1.2M.

I can't stand Paula Deen, her accent, her fattening, rich food, her way of talking, her bigotry... or anything about her. I've had her show come up on Food Network, watched a couple of minutes, and then switched it.

When she was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, that was a perfect opportunity for her to tailor her recipes to suit. That would have benefited her fans, as well as her.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 10:47 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It's puzzling why you keep dredging up the fact that you've been regarded as a possible pedophile--in real life. And posters at A2K became aware of that only because you chose to tell them. That's where this pedophile business came from--directly from you.

Sorry dear it came from your personal attacks due to my daring to disagreeing with the punishment levels for the crime of having CP in the US compare to the EU with special reference to the UK and for no other reason. A stand I have zero shame in having as treatment and monitoring seems more call for in most cases of CP then decades long prison sentences.

An the following happening prove beyond question that you have far less of a moral compass then almost anyone else here.

Then you ask me if I was a CP trader base only on my daring to disagreeing with your love for punishments that in many cases produced longer sentences then the rape of a child and who a majority of the sitting federal judges also disagree with.

When I reply to your outrageous question with the following sarcastic statement "Yes .I trade CP with Federal judges" you have the god damn nerve to edit the statement to just Yes, I trade CP and was dancing around in happiness that I had "admitted" to this evil crime.

That editing of a clear sarcastic statement to indicate that I was evil is a far far far worst moral sin then calling someone the N word in my opinion and foreclosed you from making moral judgments of such people as Ms Dean.

Oh another fine example of your complete lack of a moral compass dealing with the same subject is when I posted on computer security issues relating to CP trading you claimed that I was helping pedophiles by so doing and when I pointed out that the information was wide spread and I question if we have such people reading this website you yourself did postings with key words that could be found in a google search with great ease concerning computer security issues and being a pedophile so you prove that you was willing to aid pedophiles yourself to prove a debating point in a dishonest manner.

As I said on that subject alone you had proven yourself to have no claims of being a moral judge on anyone else in the world.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 10:51 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
So servers are different than kitchen staff?

Yes indeed as they are ones you had hired to deal directly with your customers and had hopefully selected them with the ability to do so in a smooth and friendly manner.

You do not normally selected kitchen staff for the same abilities as servers.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 11:01 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
What I'd like to know is why Lisa Jackson was suing for $1.2M.

http://www.atlawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Jackson-v.-Deen-et-al.-Complaint.pdf
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 01:28 am
@hawkeye10,
so according to the plaintiff PD took this black woman server who had been working for her for only 6 months and made her a manager making over $60k a year, left her in the job for years, had her working on opening new restaurants....and we are supposed to believe that PD operates a workplace that is hostile to blacks and women and which thus hurt her??!!

Riiiiiiigghhtt!!!
BillRM

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 05:41 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
plaintiff PD took this black woman server who had been working for her for only 6 months and made her a manager making over $60k a year, left her in the job for years, had her working on opening new restaurants....and we are supposed to believe that PD operates a workplace that is hostile to blacks and women and which thus hurt her??!!

Facts does not matter when there is a chance for a good old PC hanging.
Mame

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:30 am
@hawkeye10,
She was WHITE. Read the link Bill provided. Unbelievable.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:35 am
@BillRM,
so it's ok to discriminate against black kitchen staff but not ok to discriminate against black serving staff?

awesome
firefly

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:50 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Facts does not matter when there is a chance for a good old PC hanging.

So, in your mind, any evidence of bigotry, or bias, or prejudice, in terms of the language someone uses, or the groups they demean and ridicule in jokes, is simply someone not being "PC"? Prejudice and bigotry really doesn't exist? Prejudice and bigotry isn't reflected in language and attitude?

Why shouldn't people be "PC" in the workplace? What's wrong with eliminating the use of racial/ethnic/gender/sexual orientation slurs, and similarly demeaning jokes, in the workplace? What's right about allowing those things in a workplace, and having an employer who actively contributes to such things?

BillRM

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2013 07:52 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
so it's ok to discriminate against black kitchen staff but not ok to discriminate against black serving staff?

awesome

So it is some kind of strange discrimination not to allowed dishs washers and other kitchen help black or white to be walking around in the customers areas of a restaurant or marching in and out of the restaurant by way of the front customers entrance?

Strange as I had never never in my long life seen that happening in any middle to upper restaurant.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 10:51:08