Paula Dean Fired By Food Network Over Racial Slur

Miller

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 05:59 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Paula's net worth is in free-fall right now...

Check ourtthe DOW and you'll see that most Americans have a falling net worth.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:05 am
@firefly,
Quote:
She really could have avoided all of this.

Poor legal representation? Or didn't listen to the lawyers.

If she was smart enough to quickly settle, she would not have let it happen in the first place. Kind hearted people smiling and looking the other way is what allows this behavior by 'Bubbha' perpetuate.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 06:22 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I keep wondering why Deen didn't settle this lawsuit out of court over 2 years ago--it was filed in March 2011.

Some people do not care to pay legal blackmail no matter what the cost perhaps or for that matter announced to the world that there is a fast payday for anyone else that is willing to sue?

After all if some white former manager could walk away with bags of money any past employee that happen to have a black skin should be looking at a super ball lottery winnings amounts.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:41 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
any of your world views

nothing to do with my world view.

I am using YOUR arguments on you.

You don't like the result because it's a stupid position to take.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:42 am
@BillRM,
Why do you think only people of colour are in a position to object to racism?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 07:55 am
@Mame,
Quote:
The deposition goes on to claim that Black workers at "Uncle Bubba's Restaurant" were required to use the BACK entrance to pick up their checks, and were all required to use the same bathroom at the BACK of the restaurant (while white employees could use the customer's restrooms). Also, Blacks employees who worked in the back of the restaurant were not allow to go to the front of the restaurant.

So let get this straight all restaurants that do not wish their back kitchen employees to be in the customers areas are doing something wrong or using the back entrances instead of the front ones for that matter?

Can not remember off hand being in any restaurants beyond a Denny where you would see the back kitchen employees walking around in the dining areas of the restaurants or using the front entrances for that matter.

A good make up lawsuit that the lawyers was counting on the blackmail elements to get a settlement.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:01 am
@BillRM,
So let's get this straight.

Black employees of Uncle Bubba's were not allowed to do things white employees were.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:07 am
@ehBeth,
Bill needs no ideas about "equality in entrance policy" from the likes of you. Everyone is equal in America, just some of us are more equal.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:12 am
@ehBeth,
Where did I claims or state that I approved of any of the things you are claiming me with me being?

So let see anyone that think that the cut off BAC of .08 might be too low let alone the new drive for a BAC of .05 must be a drunk driver for so thinking?

Any one that have problems with when two adults go out drinking together and then having sex that the woman and the woman alone if she have any regrets a day or a week or a month later for having sexual intercourse can claimed rape for not being able to give valid consent to the sex acts due to a state she put herself into voluntarily? That males have a duty to act as the sexual guardians of adult females and make judgments on their adult partners state and degree of voluntary intoxication.

That person with those opinion must be a rapist of some kind?

In other word anyone who dare to disagree with you happen to be evil for doing so.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:14 am
@BillRM,
Now explain why white people can't object to racism.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:23 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Black employees of Uncle Bubba's were not allowed to do things white employees were.

So white kitchen employees was allowed to walk around the dining areas or come through the front door for that matter?

It would be the very first upper to middle level restaurant that I had ever seen that happening at.

Now if white servers for example at those restaurants was allowed to used the customers restrooms on a routine basis and a black servers was not that would be a horse of a different color.

Off hand it look like a blackmail suit using standard restaurants processes to paint a racist picture.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:28 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Now explain why white people can't object to racism.

No problem with objecting to real racism but trying to become wealthy over the issue when yourself was not the target seems odd to say the least and then with none of the so call targets filing suit beside.

The only one trying to get millions of dollars from this firm for being racist against blacks is a white woman seem more then a little odd to me!!!!!
engineer

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:29 am
@BillRM,
She's also complaining on sexual harassment grounds. I think you are also under a common misapprehension about what these types of suits pay out. From this article:
Quote:
Many litigants reach a confidential settlement before completing a trial, so tabulating statistics about sexual harassment claims is very difficult. One study looked at 50 sexual harassment settlements (PDF) in cases before Chicago magistrate judges, and found that amounts average around $53,000, with a median of about $30,000. Employees who take their case to trial—and win—fare significantly better, averaging more than $217,000, according to a separate study. That ratio is normal in employment litigation: Settlements are typically around one-quarter the size of trial verdicts. (The plaintiff wins in about 40 percent of the employment-related cases that make it to the jury.)

Substract out lawyer fees, lost work time, court appearances, etc and no one is getting rich here. It's the very rare and egregious case that makes it to six figures, let alone seven.
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:36 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Bill needs no ideas about "equality in entrance policy" from the likes of you. Everyone is equal in America, just some of us are more equal.

So framer man you been in middle to upper level restaurants where the back staffs of those restaurants used the front customer entrance?
Mame

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:36 am
@BillRM,
The deposition stated that black employees had to use the restroom in the BACK but the white employees were free to use the customers' restrooms - can't you read? I am assuming those restrooms were in the FRONT for easy availability for the customers.

I have never seen any kitchen worker using the customer's restroom, so I don't understand why there would be that rule. If you're working in the back of the house, you'd use the closest bathroom, would you not?
BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:40 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Substract out lawyer fees, lost work time, court appearances, etc and no one is getting rich here. It's the very rare and egregious case that makes it to six figures, let alone seven.

A few hundreds of thousands might not make someone rich but it is not a small amount.
farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:40 am
@BillRM,
Quote:

So framer man you been in middle to upper level restaurants where the back staffs of those restaurants used the front customer entrance?
So you go to restaurants that require black staff to only enter through the back? ARE YOU SHITTIN ME?

BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:48 am
@Mame,
Quote:
he deposition stated that black employees had to use the restroom in the BACK but the white employees were free to use the customers' restrooms - can't you read? I am assuming those restrooms were in the FRONT for easy availability for the customers.

As I said you need the break down of the type of employees that was not allowed to use the customers rest rooms not just their skin color.

If most servers was white for example and was allowed to used the customers rest room in front and most or a large percent of the back staff was black and not allowed to use the customers restrooms that have little or nothing to do with race.

Now if you have the same class of employees being treated in a difference manner that would once more be a horse of another color but if I was an owner of a middle to upper level restaurant I would not have my employees of any color using the front door and I had never seems such happening in my long life as a customer.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:51 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
So you go to restaurants that require black staff to only enter through the back? ARE YOU SHITTIN ME?

B*A*C*K staff not black staff and yes I do and so you are claiming you have gone to middle to upper level restaurants where the disk washers ETC are going by you at the front entrance?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 08:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

A few hundreds of thousands might not make someone rich but it is not a small amount.

Agreed, but the median payment is $30K before fees. I'd take it but that won't make me rich.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:21:18