VH-1's I love the 80's

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:14 am
A series of media montages, chronicling each year of the decade. I only saw part of 1980 and the episodes for 1981 and 1982. Please share your thoughts if you have seen the series and what you think (so far). By the end of this week VH-1 will have premiered them all and I'm sure will re-run them many, many times...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,801 • Replies: 10
No top replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 09:21 am
I wish I could get the european VH-1 on my cable... German MTV did a series called "20 years MTV" where they did a year-by-year count. That was a nice trip down memory lane, especially '85 - '89. That was the time I finished school, and the year before, lots of hits back then... And the time I moved in to my first appartment in '88, flashback time, lemme tell ya!

Btw, welcome to A2K,edithdoll !
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:52 am
Thanks for the welcome...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 10:01 am
My Gawd, I love this show!

Saw most of 1982 and all of 1984. Brought back memories of college and Law School, mostly good memories, though with regards to my hair - what was I thinking???
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 10:06 am
I'm glad my hair recovered....
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:07 am
not only the hair...l'k, the fashion, the fashion...
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 04:01 pm
Hi all.

Big hair was just a way of life in my town when I grew up, I never really associated it as an 80's thing. Seventies wings grew into Aqua net and Alberto V05 high rise "do's." Some of the girls had huge, huge swirling hair...Yikes. When I went to college on Long Island, NY in '88, and a lot of those girls had the big hair too, so I realized the whole "big hair" trend was a lot more universal than myself and other high school friends had thought.

Note of reflection -- Back in the 90's, one day in the subway I saw some kids from my town. This girl had a cheerleading jacket on and the whole Alainis Morrisettle look going on...Very trendy for that time...And I was thinking if I could send her back via a time machine to 1984, she would have been completely outcasted & never would have been a cheerleader looking the way she did -- It's all relative I guess.

bigdice67 -- Yeah they go over all the fashion trends from the 1980's in this series, year by year. I don't know personally if I can pick the worst 80's fashion trend, it was probably acid washed jeans I think... I always hated 'em.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 04:08 pm
Yestersay I saw the Elvis video "Elvis - '68 Comeback Special":
fashion at that really was similar to today's! (And I thought, my memory was getting weak.)
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 05:02 pm
Hi Walter --
Probably, fashion always recycles itself, but with updates.
The whole 60's and 70's retro trends have been big in the US for awhile now.
It's like this saying: "Everything that's old is new again."
: )
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 07:46 pm
Caught the 1989 segment by accident last night.....<rolling eyes at the memory>

'Love in an elevator.....livin it up when I'm going down.....'
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:52 am
It killed me. Am embarassed to say that I left it on in the background most of New Year's Day. (Missed '81 and '82 entirely, though. Bummer.) Just vegged and laughed at the stuff. Granted, I'm too young to have really fallen victim to most of it...
0 Replies