Brushes for a french easil

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:37 pm
I'm just starting out , and i like plien air. I bought a french easil and would like to know what brushes to carry in it for painting, Sizes, types. Also how would you set it up as far as colors and equipment to paint. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 748 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 01:53 pm
@flyfisher,
I do plein aire. Whts a French easel?
I made my own to stand up paint level as I sit on the open tailgate of my pickemup truck. I had an awning made that fits on the end of the truck cap so I can paint in bad weather.

I do most of my paintings watercolors and a 1/4 are pastels. I only do a little bit of oils.I keep a lot of brushes in a meatl desk cage with a big wood block nailed to the bottom so they don't dump over.
My oil brushes are all flats of various widths , a rigger, and a good sable watercolor brush for mixing a runny-ish white (I pint oils -from dark to light and I add white last, if I use it at all)
I do keep one really good 2" hog bristl for huge layouts of tone and I also keep a skewed end knife.

Where you painting? I paint in the Appalachians mostly
flyfisher

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 02:02 pm
@farmerman,
Hi, Farmerman. French easil is a paint box easil all in one. Box holds your paint, brushes, every thing you need to paint with.I paint in Maryland; lots of water and hills, an farms to paint.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 05:51 am
@flyfisher,
I never knew that was what it was called. I had one of those but never liked it because my plein aire stuff is a bit large. I use a piece of 1/2 " birch plywood that I sanded at 1000 grit and cut a handhold in a side. I then covered it with gloss poly urethane and I use it as a stretcher board so I can paint on the ground or in the bed of the truck.
For oils or pastels I have a filed easel. I have lotsa tubes of oils and wc so I keep em in separate carryalls. I find I can buy oil painting equipment and cases for cheap at yard sales. Two things become very cheap at yard sales

1EXERCISE EQUIPMENT

2OIL PAINTING SUPPLIES

Everybody who buys all this stuff, soon discovers that both things take effort.

0 Replies