Is there an easy approach to inform if brake discs/rotors are excessively distressed?

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 03:37 am
I dont need to go to the difficulty of purchasing

a micrometer and getting the wheels off as I don't own the vehicle yet. I'm considering buying a vehicle which is three years old and done 20, 000 miles and want to understand if the discs are in good shape before I buy. The automobile is a BMW 318 diesel Msport and at its MOT three months ago an advisory notice was issued for brake discs worn. I know how thick the disks should be new and what the minimal depth is (24mm new and 22.4mm min)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 635 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:44 am
@EiPersonal,
I'd guess a squealing or ratcheting sound

However a reliable dealer will let you take it to independent garage for inspection
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 12:28 pm
@EiPersonal,
If you can't get the wheels off for measurement, check the ridge between the area in contact with the pads and the part that looks new. You're looking for a 1 mm ridge per side, and you should be able to make a pretty good guess. While you're at it, look for really deep grooves.

At 20,000 miles they should be good. If they are not, possibly the driver has been abusive in other areas as well.
0 Replies