Creepy children's live-action play on television from late 60s' or during 70's...

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:30 pm
It was a weird children's movie--but it was live action on a set--and the guy was in a carriage and had a jail with it--he was trying to capture two kids--it was the creepiest thing I ever saw...and it aired on network television around the holidays. I think the BBC may have done it. It looked very similar to the style of Peter Pan (the live action set stuff)...came out in either the late 60's or sometime in the 70s'. I can never remember the name of it. It may have been one syndicated by SFM Holiday Network. The only other way to describe it was Hansel & Gretel on acid...and the adult villain looked like Alice Cooper but it wasn't him. It was a really odd movie for kids to be watching. Any idea what it was called???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,550 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 07:48 am
@mightymquinn,
Was this by Sid and Marty Kroft, by chance? They had a lot of trippy kids' stuff in the 70s.
mightymquinn

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 12:11 pm
@jespah,
don't know...if I recall correct--they were British actors...and this guy rode around town with a horse & carriage rounding up kids and the two main child actors were hiding from him...it was on several times (I saw it maybe seven times as a child)...It just bothers me that I can't remember the name of it... also, it may be a live adaptation of a children's story???
mightymquinn

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 09:13 pm
@mightymquinn,
Also, I've found out that Thames over in Britain may have produced it -- it was a play adapted for television -- and it may have centered around orphans.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 04:28 am
@mightymquinn,
It sounds like something from Oliver Twist. Could it have been a cheap remake of the book?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 06:00 am
@mightymquinn,
Possibles....

Ace of wands.
Dramarama.
Shadows.

Here's a bit of blurb....
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Wands
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2013 10:38 am
@mightymquinn,
Sounds like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - I always called the guy the child catcher - is this it?

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/quiz/216000/216671_1243193430703_431_300.jpg

If so then yes he is creepy why I still remember it. And he has made many of the top ten evil villians in various movie lists.
mightymquinn

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 05:08 pm
@Linkat,
I just saw it on YouTube...that is it!!! I never remembered it from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...but that IS the scene...thanks!!! Smile
0 Replies