Would you expect the book of Genesis to have been written in scientific language?

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 05:43 pm
If genesis had been written in the scientific language of today ,would've anyone alive 5-6 thousand years ago been able to understand it?

So was it meant to be understood as a literal scientifically correct description of man's origens and that of the Earth and universe?

I don't think so..

dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:03 pm
@count markovalley,
No of course not. Even the vey earliest thinkers probably rejected the conventional idea of creation but wrote Genesis in symbolic terms for benefit of the hoi polloi
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:33 pm
@count markovalley,
why would it be written in "scientific language of today"? Your grasp of historical sequences is not something you should be proud of, especially is you are , as you say, a teacher.

0 Replies

count markovalley

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:40 pm
many in today's fundamentalist churches believe that there's a scientific basis to the book of genesis ;written in unscientific language . and must be accepted as accurate by geologists and biologists and other scientists. Scientists must accept something written unscientifically. that's my point. unscientific writing trumps the scientific. got it now?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 06:57 pm
@count markovalley,
count markovalley wrote:

many in today's fundamentalist churches believe that there's a scientific basis to the book of genesis ;written in unscientific language . and must be accepted as accurate by geologists and biologists and other scientists. Scientists must accept something written unscientifically. that's my point. unscientific writing trumps the scientific. got it now?

They say that but have yet to produce any relevant evidence concerning Genesis or anything else.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:13 pm
@count markovalley,
Quote:
Scientists must accept something written unscientifically. that's my point. unscientific writing trumps the scientific. got it now?
You may be interested in purchasing an Edgar Blythe/Farmerman bridge to Atlantis.
YOure a teacher? . What klavern has you teach their kids? .
fresco

Reply Thu 13 Jun, 2013 12:08 am
@farmerman,
This poster's use of the word "trump" can be illustrated by his blitzing of other forums with his holocaust denial campaign. He is just a moron looking for another platform to rant on.
count markovalley

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 09:21 am
@fresco,
i don't deny the holocaust ;just the size and scope of it. but i'm not a denier.
fresco

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:45 am
@count markovalley,
Liar !
You have suggested the word "holocaust" be replaced by "holohoax" on another forum.
Actually, other Nazi sympathizers popping their heads above the parapet here seem to have had a few more brains than you, since they attempted to disguise their identities across forums. You really need to go and play on a site suited to your intelligence level and interests, as all you will get here is derision.
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:51 am
@fresco,
I think it was EB that tracked some of his bile and hate from another web forum. This guy sports a "full head of skin" and is therefore just another one of the Aryan assholes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 05:33 pm
I am about to put him on ignore.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 06:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think he will disappear when everyone merely responds to his hate with LOVE or ignores him. either is OK
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 07:31 pm
@farmerman,
He's such a sweetheart. I hate to miss the comedy.
farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 04:23 am
@edgarblythe,
what the hell happened to my above post? did you see anything go missing?
Anybody steal it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 04:53 am
Lordyaswas produced a link to another forum at which the good Count's rantings are exposed both there and at other fora. Incredibly, this joker uses the same screen name from one forum to another.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 04:54 am
(Edgar looks around innocently)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:01 am
@count markovalley,
count markovalley wrote:

i don't deny the holocaust ;just the size and scope of it. but i'm not a denier.

Size and scope are part of the criteria to being "a denier." Since there are well kept records of how many died, when being shot or gassed, any deviation from these numbers are just revisionist history, which is what deniers are doing.

I am waiting for deniers to start claiming that there was no Final Solution either.

In my opinion, I though tend to deny that many Germans have any remorse for the Holocaust. A fait accompli, in effect.
fresco

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:44 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
In my opinion, I though tend to deny that many Germans have any remorse for the Holocaust. A fait accompli, in effect.

You should perhaps read this article about the Berlin Holocaust Memorial which made me think a little about over simplification in this matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_to_the_Murdered_Jews_of_Europe
count markovalley

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 05:25 pm
@fresco,
germans had absolutely no idea about the holocaust. not a single clue. some thought their jewish neighbors were leaving for israel . and because that's where they said they wanted to go and to live where they would be the happiest.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 05:27 pm
@count markovalley,
You apparently have never met any Germans who were alive during the Second World War.