Can someone explain why many act like Atheism is a Religion?

mesquite

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 03:53 pm
Blank wrote:

So what does one religios group do when they realize that there is another reliogous group spouting beliefs that are contrary to their's??? Well the go to war of course, because that is what God has "told them" to do.

This is why athiests and agnostics may feel that religion is "absurd".

And dangerous
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:25 pm
The wars are caused by militant barbarians who want to go to war and use religion as an excuse. Religion itself isn't calling for war.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:32 pm
Man being a territorial ANIMAL, he creates actual territories (cities, states, countries) and he also creates territories of the imagination (religions, which can seem as vast as any real piece of turf). He fights wars readily for them both.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:51 pm
No war in religion? The OT itself is full of warfare, much of it sanctioned by God. War, death, carnage, mutilation are central to the imagery of that particular book.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
So, when god is your shield and your buckler, he/she doesn't really want you to kill anyone, but as long as you're going to do it anyway, he/she just thought he'd/she'd help you out with that, huh?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
Hell god even helped 'em slaughter (as long as someone propped up Moses' hands).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:58 pm
One little question: what did God want with all those foreskins?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
Shoes, many many shoes.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:00 pm
Portal Star wrote:
g-d

You do not belive in God, and vehemantly promote that view to others, yet you still cower from actually writing his name. Heh.

Stop doing that, or I will shoot you repeatedly in the brain. Or something.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
as Hymie Swartz once told me "Give Me Immortality Or Give Me Death" and then he went on to die in a drunken stupor falling of his horse and breaking his neck but he was a radical atheist anarchist in search of an accepting congregation of Jews turned Quaker (some of my best Jews are friends)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:15 pm
ILZ, that drives me nuts too, obliterates all thought while I rail for a second each time I see it, but ...

I think Portal is not doing it re her belief or agnosticism thereof, but for courtesy to others who may participate who are offended by seeing god spelled out. She wants, I think, for the religion forum to be open and not offend other than by argumentation.

From my point of view, she is welcome to her understanding of courtesy, though I teeth gnash. That is her choice.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:31 pm
Why does the lack of a religion have to be an ism? Why does it have to be given a name at all? To give it a name seems to acknowledge that there is a religion and that Atheism is one angle of it.

I also see very little so called atheists trying to convert anybody. It's mostly just people voicing their opinion.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
The atheist missionary would lack an angle -- no "do this or you'll go to hell" impetus to use. Nothing in it for the missionary, either: no promise of heaven or hell. Maybe give out a few vaccinations or build a Nike factory...
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:04 pm
I don't get into religious discussion very often, mostly because I believe what I believe and I know that I'm not going to change anybodies mind, just like nobody is going to change my mind. I consider my self to be more independent than religious. I reject the terms Agnostic and Atheist.

But I just want to elaborate on what I said earlier. It's not the Atheists that are trying to force their beliefs on others. Most are just defending their right not to believe. And when you live in a world where religion is forced on you in school and even on the currency you spend, how can you say that it's the Atheists that are trying to change everyone. They just want to be left alone.

I want to be able to watch TV without seeing 20 commercials trying to convert me to someone else's religion. I want to be able to check my mailbox without having to throw away god flyers. I want to be able to buy food without having to pass a note that says I trust someone else's god. I want to be able to say the pledge of allegiance without hearing the word god.

If this desire to be free from your religion means that I am forcing my beliefs on you than so be it. There's enough forcing to go around.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
Good post, rover.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:32 pm
ossobuco wrote:
ILZ, that drives me nuts too, obliterates all thought while I rail for a second each time I see it, but ...

I think Portal is not doing it re her belief or agnosticism thereof, but for courtesy to others who may participate who are offended by seeing god spelled out. She wants, I think, for the religion forum to be open and not offend other than by argumentation.

From my point of view, she is welcome to her understanding of courtesy, though I teeth gnash. That is her choice.

It is silly.

Silly.

Silly.

Silly.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:41 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

It is silly.

Silly.

Silly.

Silly.

It would never work. I've been to many forums that have religion forums, some that separate the different religions and some that clump them all together. You'll always have people of different beliefs debating.

I ran an MSN group for a while that had a religion forum. Several people requested a bible study group that didn't allow debate, so I set it up. They then proceeded to try to take over the entire board. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Unless you have a site that is 100% religion, nobody will ever be happy with the way the religion forums are handled.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:48 pm
Well, yes, and so? I don't like g-d for god at all myself, but I certainly wouln't think of outlawing the reference.
0 Replies