Is this justice for Kenya or is it too late?

Arjunakki

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

if we keep this nonsense up children will be responsible for their parents financial debts too, even though they had nothing to do with there creation. you all might want to think through this theory "my fathers sins are my own" before you start running around mouthing "I am sorrys" to the offspring of everyone you think your forefathers wronged.

I think the offspring should apologize for the sins of the father, especially so if they have benefitted materially in some way. Also, what's wrong with apologizing when we recognize a wrong has been committed. It doesn't diminish the apologizer in any way and just might enhance his credibility.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:09 pm
@Arjunakki,
are you consistent? had my father been a great man do I get credit?
Arjunakki

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

are you consistent? had my father been a great man do I get credit?

No, that is unless you helped him achieve his greatness. It doesn't work that way. Your father might have won the Nobel Prize, possess an IQ of 170 but his offspring might be a no account lazy loafer, and will never amount to anything. All brilliant people do not have brilliant children. But any person with any integrity recognizing a wrong will often apologize.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:23 pm
@Arjunakki,
Arjunakki wrote:

Quote:

if we keep this nonsense up children will be responsible for their parents financial debts too, even though they had nothing to do with there creation. you all might want to think through this theory "my fathers sins are my own" before you start running around mouthing "I am sorrys" to the offspring of everyone you think your forefathers wronged.

I think the offspring should apologize for the sins of the father, especially so if they have benefitted materially in some way. Also, what's wrong with apologizing when we recognize a wrong has been committed. It doesn't diminish the apologizer in any way and just might enhance his credibility.
If I thawt that my ancestors had done something obnoxious,
I might be interested in repudiating it, not to be condemned.
For instance, when I have visited the South,
I have admitted (when asked) to being a New Yorker,
but I pointed out that I do not endorse the unConstitutional invasion
of the Southern States, after thay withdrew from the union,
in furtherance of their rights under the 10th Amendment.

I did not actually have any ancestors in the Civil War
and I tell them that, too, so as not to be blamed for the Northern invasion.

Shud I apologize? Maybe give them a few $$ for reparations? Is it too late ?

David
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:23 pm
@Arjunakki,
ya....no. if someone wants any words from me about what my dad did to them it will be "I did not and will not abuse you. I wish you the best as you live your life".
Arjunakki

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Shud I apologize? Maybe give them a few $$ for reparations ?

That, Sir, is a personal decision, and if it makes you feel better to contribute a few shillings, then go for it. Why not let bygones be bygones, after all it was the Civil War.
roger

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your question has been answered. You inherit guilt, but not credit and nobility.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:44 pm
@Arjunakki,
DAVID wrote:
Shud I apologize? Maybe give them a few $$ for reparations ?

Arjunakki wrote:
That, Sir, is a personal decision,
Thank u for that information.

Arjunakki wrote:
and if it makes you feel better to contribute a few shillings, then go for it.
Why not let bygones be bygones, after all it was the Civil War.
OK. Does that apply equally toward Izzy 's question ??
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
While I dont count out the possibility that I might want to make a gift to or join in a crying jag with one of my fathers victims I owe them nothing. I am responsible for what I do, not what others do, regardless of how I am helped or harmed by others. profit does not equal responsibility.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:48 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Your question has been answered. You inherit guilt, but not credit and nobility.

sounds like "profits belong to the company, losses belong to the government".
0 Replies

Arjunakki

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 07:49 pm
@Arjunakki,
Quote:

Since you made an example of the Civil War, I cannot see where an apology is necessary,after all both sides, the North and the South, were heavily engaged fighting each other. In the case of Kenya, they colonized the country therefore since they underdeveloped that nation by taking out diamonds, minerals, etc, I think it only fair that help from Britain be forth coming.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:04 pm
@Arjunakki,
we know well the model of the professed peperpetual victim who spends his time waiting around the maibox for the next atonement check rather than building a country.

Haiti.

we dont need another one.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
While I dont count out the possibility that I might want to make a gift
to or join in a crying jag with one of my fathers victims
I owe them nothing. I am responsible for what I do, not what others do,
regardless of how I am helped or harmed by others. profit does not equal responsibility.
SO STIPULATED !

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:10 pm
@Arjunakki,
Arjunakki wrote:
Quote:

Since you made an example of the Civil War, I cannot see where an apology is necessary,after all both sides, the North and the South, were heavily engaged fighting each other. In the case of Kenya, they colonized the country therefore since they underdeveloped that nation by taking out diamonds, minerals, etc, I think it only fair that help from Britain be forth coming.
I wonder how Izzy 'd vote on that.

( I 'd vote that Izzy keeps his money. )

David
0 Replies

Arjunakki

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Haiti.

Haiti is the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. The US propped up Papa Doc, and Baby doc. These two previous Haitian leaders exploited the Haitian people, using US funds as their own. Not all needy countries are like the Third World country of Haiti.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 08:18 pm
@Arjunakki,
and after that trying to help Haiti with checks motivated by guilt has not worked, the place is more fucked up than ever. we need a new plan.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:26 am
@hawkeye10,
You're insane, this has got absolutely nothing to do with what people's parents did, but what a country does. They victims were tortured, some were castrated by colonial soldiers acting on behalf of the British Government. The victims aren't spongers, and the amount of money paid is a drop in the Ocean when compared to GDP.

Britain's makeup has changed dramatically since the 1950s, many citizens are the children of immigrants who came over in the 50s and 70s. Of course their parents weren't responsible, but the country was.

This is about the UK and Kenya, it's not about Hawkeye and whatever unresolved daddy issues he may have.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 01:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Hawkeye raises an interesting point.

No he doesn't, he's muddied the water with his paranoid utterances.

Quote:
Shud u be held responsible for your father 's debts??
How about your uncle 's? Grandfather? Cousin ?
The guy across the street ?

No, of course not.

If you follow Hawkeye's ridiculous line of reasoning you might as well say that international treaties are all null and void after thirty years. It's just nonsense.
Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie is condescending and dismissive of all things British.

He seems to think jam is of some significance to the British psyche, God only knows why.

On many a BBC drama it seems jam on toast, with tea, makes many a Brit just able to get throught the day.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 02:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

we dont have the right to apologize for the actions of our fathers and grandfathers. those who do it anyways are full of themselves.

In my opinion, to apologize for the sins of one's prior generations can be based on the desire to at least have the moral high ground of doing a mea culpa by proxy. Britain is a Protestant nation, and may not get an absolution for their sins (from any divinity)?