We're from the government and we're here to help....

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:02 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
This notice was e-mailed to all parents, and was also posted on the H.S. Web site.

Who or what is your source for the notice? After all, some parents report they had not been informed.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:08 pm
This discussion just keeps going around in circles, and re-hashing the same issues.

If, and when, it gets more interesting, or if something new happens in Batavia related to the topic, I'll return.

Right now, I have nothing more to say, beyond what I've already said, on this topic.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:12 pm
@firefly,
Thomas, someone here did say that other teachers told the students using words like optional - I have to go search for that - this thread is getting longer by the minute.

Firefly, as Boomerang noted, not every parent has a computer, or, working computer, or looks at it often.
No one has clarified if "hard copies" were sent.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:18 pm
@ossobuco,
it has been pretty clear that no paper was sent. also I get robo calls from my school...does the school have such a system? if so then why did they not use it, and why was what was said so very not forthcoming????
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:19 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Right now, I have nothing more to say, beyond what I've already said, on this topic.

I know the feeling. Also, thanks for adding the link to Batavia High School's announcement of the survey, and sorry if the link had been there from the beginning and I overlooked it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:22 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

This discussion just keeps going around in circles, and re-hashing the same issues.

If, and when, it gets more interesting, or if something new happens in Batavia related to the topic, I'll return.

liar...I have presented multiple new lines of enquiry in just the last hour.

we all know about the fingers in the ears trick though dont we...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 01:33 pm
question for the day...

are you really in a discussion if no one is acknowledging your presence?

hmmmmm.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 03:14 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

question for the day...

are you really in a discussion if no one is acknowledging your presence?

hmmmmm.

answer: fear manifests itself in many ways. when good points are made by me but ignored and good questions are asked by me but ignored everyone else but me looks bad.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 03:35 pm
@firefly,
LOL we have any numbers of examples of school systems acting badly as far as the privately rights of students up to using laptops with build in webcams to spy on them in their own bedrooms so there is zero reason to grant this school system with good intentions.

If they are willing to punish teachers that interfere with their goals how must more likely would it be to punish or at least threaten to punish students over the same subject.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 03:40 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
I remember my mother saying to me, "And if everyone jumps off the roof, are you going to do that too?"

I was taught to think for myself. I'm still doing that.

Yet you are supporting the punishment of a teacher for suggesting that they do not need to jump off this roof and for a school system placing the future of the children at risk to a far greater degree then the smoking some weeds would do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 05:52 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
The school system cannot absolutely guarantee that the data from that survey will not be put into, or someday become, publicly-available information.

And the IRS cannot absolutely guarantee that your personal info, and tax returns, might not be made public if someone hacks into their data.

There are no absolute guarantees about anything.

Nope. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice about what data I provide to the IRS, or I wouldn't give them my information, either.

firefly wrote:

You assess your risks your way, and I'll use my own criteria to assess mine.

This, after you've spend days claiming that there is no risk of the data being misused? After you've called people paranoid, and worse, for daring to assess the risk differently than you?

I'm not the dummy, here. Drunk
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 05:57 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
This notice was e-mailed to all parents, and was also posted on the H.S. Web site.

Assuming the E-mail didn't get caught by a spam filter, and that the E-mail address is not stale, and that parents regularly check the school's website. And assuming that the parent has E-mail and Internet access.

E-mail is not considered a reliable method of contacting someone; nor is posting a notice on a website.

We get notes home about all kinds of issues; if they really meant for parents to be informed, then they would have sent a note home. (Speaking of being able to interpret behavior based on omissions.)
DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 06:03 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Thanks for convincing Thomas to come around to our way of thinking.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 06:07 pm
@DrewDad,
even more reasonable than a paper sent home is a paper sent home with FULL information that must be sent back signed before the kids are asked to self report themselves as criminals. why do you not demand this?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 06:07 pm
@DrewDad,
According to the link Thomas posted, even people who worked at the school didn't know about the survey:

Quote:
“I was not made aware a survey was going to be issued to my son, and basically was not given any opportunity to protect his privacy rights,” said one mom, who also works at Batavia High School.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 06:40 pm
@boomerang,
which is pretty much the same thing as saying " I was not given the opportunity to protect my child from the doctor". once school bosses are the enemy and the doer of harm they have already lost as they can not function with out the trust of the other stake holders.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 06:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
a gang of thugs in authority are certainly not going to stand for a trusted teacher calling their work into question....
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 07:00 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
They're under pressure to "do something." They are not, however, under pressure to do something "effective" or to do the right thing.

They just have to have something to point to that shows they made an attempt.

That would explain how much they're harping on about the length of time they worked on it, and the sums of money they spent on it. It also explains how prissy they are about Dryden's alleged besmirching of their intentions.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 07:04 pm
@Thomas,
logic fail..they had already done something, thus they should not care after the fact what Dryden said because the mission was already complete andthus a success ....according to you.

care to take another try at using that nut of yours???

the length of time is the argument "we worked very very hard on this so It has to have been right" which is of course an attempt to bullshit people who are assumed to be idiots. hard does not equal right, never has, never will, and almost everyone knows this.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 07:43 pm
@hawkeye10,
Logic fail? I think not. They're feeling defensive, and they're trying to prop up their legitimacy.