We're from the government and we're here to help....

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 07:51 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Logic fail? I think not. They're feeling defensive, and they're trying to prop up their legitimacy.

sure, because they are thugs and because they are wrong, but thomas's argument is that they did what they were supposed to do, which is "something", in which case they would know that they did what the other stake holders wanted them to do thus they would not be defensive, they would be patting themselves on the back and claiming victory.

Thomas is trying to appease those here he considers to be friends and he is making himself look stupid in the attempt.

Thomas! Snap out of it!! You are better than this.
boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have never known Thomas to attempt to appease anyone. I consider him a friend and he's called me out of faulty logic several times over the years. I'm better because of it.

He's one of the few A2Kers who ever admits that he's changed his mind on a topic and that is a truly admirable trait on internet forums.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:15 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I have never known Thomas to attempt to appease anyone. I consider him a friend and he's called me out of faulty logic several times over the years. I'm better because of it.

He's one of the few A2Kers who ever admits that he's changed his mind on a topic and that is a truly admirable trait on internet forums.

I look forward to your high words for this member being verified by his contributions to this thread. so far NOT!

you have shown some understanding of what has gone wrong with A2K, please make an attempt to counter that by leaving your emotions at the door and dealing with facts and truth instead.
boomerang

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think you must have missed his post on page 16 where he says after giving the topic more thought he now agrees with Dryden.

I was surprised when he started out by disagreeing. I'm glad he's changed his mind on this.

But even if he hadn't I'd still have high words for him.

Just like I still have high words for firefly.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's some of the most convoluted bullshit you've ever proposed, and you've come up with some doozies.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:57 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think you must have missed his post on page 16 where he says after giving the topic more thought he now agrees with Dryden.

I was surprised when he started out by disagreeing. I'm glad he's changed his mind on this.

But even if he hadn't I'd still have high words for him.

Just like I still have high words for firefly.

agreeing with drydens actions is not the same as showing understanding of what the bosses were up to.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 08:58 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

That's some of the most convoluted bullshit you've ever proposed, and you've come up with some doozies.

if you thought that you had a valid point you would have made an argement rather than thrown a terd.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 10:19 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Normally, it's the possession of the controlled substance that's criminalized.

But how can you smoke pot if you don't possess it first? Logically, saying you smoked it has to imply that you possessed it.

I think the point is that saying you have smoked (and possessed) pot is insufficient evidence to convict you on. Case in point: A few months ago, I indulged a guilty pleasure by watching a series called Moonshiners on the Discovery Channel. In episode after episode, about 10 people didn't just say they were brewing moonshine; they were filmed doing it. None of them got arrested. That's because the police, in order to do that, can't just rely on what somebody says in the normal course of life. They have to catch the person with actual, non-taxed alcohol in their cars, or barns, or whatever. And that's why the students would not have incriminated themselves in that survey.

I agree with that. Moreover, even if a person is found to be under the influence of pot, that is insufficient evidence to convict that person of being in possession of pot.

All of which is not to say the teacher gave bad advice.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 10:53 pm
@Ticomaya,
do you really want kids to be conditioned to confess their criminal sins to the the state?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 11:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Do you understand English?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 11:21 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Do you understand English?

yes. would you care to use some to flesh out your thinking?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Jun, 2013 11:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
No.

Your question is nonsensical in light of what I wrote.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:03 am
@Ticomaya,
Thanks, Tico.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:32 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
agreeing with drydens actions is not the same as showing understanding of what the bosses were up to.

Unlike you, I know I can't read the administrators' minds, and I'm inclined to give people, including administrators, the benefit of the doubt. Remember the benefit of the doubt? It's one of those rights people have. I have also found it a usually-realistic default asssumption in real life.

With that in mind, I'm not going to assume the administrators were B-movie villains. I don't believe they were sitting there, twirling their mustaches, thinking "we're gonna pull a vast one on those students' privacy. We're going to extract lots of data from them and then we'll rat them out to the police. BUAHAHAHAHA!!!" DrewDad's scenario, which hinges on a combination of good-ish faith, organizational pressure, incompetence, and sensitive egos, seems more plausible to me.

But we don't have to discuss whom of us is right in what seems more plausible, for here's the most important thing about the administrators' intentions: They don't matter! What matters is the consequences of admitting to potentially-criminal behavior in writing. In this Big-Data world, these consequences can be bad and unexpected, whatever the intentions that brought them about. Your focus on evil intentions, then, adds much heat but little light to our discussion of this case.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:35 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
All of which is not to say the teacher gave bad advice.

I'm inclined to believe Dryden had his amendments wrong, but was right to warn the students. If I confessed to having smoked pot and the cops heard of it, wouldn't that give them probable cause to search me for possession?
Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:37 am
@boomerang,
Thanks for the compliment, boomerang.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 06:44 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

firefly wrote:
Quote:
Dryden previously admitted it was “dumb luck” he was able to review the questionnaires before passing them out, and that he would have consulted administrators if given more time

And no other teachers had this problem? Did any of them hand out similar legal advice to students? Or encourage their students to lie?

Apparently they didn't, and it's a damn shame.

Also, with respect, you rhetoric about "legal advice" is stale going on rancid.

at the link in boomer's opening post, there is a reference to other teachers having a problem with the questionnaire and giving similar advice to students

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/29/school-board-reprimands-teacher-for-tell

Quote:
Another Batavia High School teacher, Scott Bayer, said Dryden was not alone in thinking it was important to let students know they were not obligated to answer the questions if doing so involved admitting crimes. "Every teacher I talked to addressed students in the same way," he said.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 10:06 am
@Thomas,
I also don't like the pretty likely possibility that those who admitted to skirting the laws in their life outside of school would face having to be helped in possibly questionable ways, via various psychologists or family counselors, etc., not to mention their teachers viewing them with new eyes.

This is not so much about legal consequences for the student - though it is certainly about that somehow increasing 'watch' on them, and possible data flow - as that the school system doesn't have the right - in my opinion in loco parentis doesn't extend to that - to question the mass of students about their activities at home and abroad. If a student is showing signs of some kind of malfeasance or troubles (drunk, stoned, mental confusion, abusive family life) then they can interview that individual - a matter of performance criteria, not a fishing experience.

There can be lots of information presented to the students re various pitfalls in life and what things that happen to them that they could report to teachers for help - but that is the opposite of a fishing fleet using non anonymous surveys on minors.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 10:12 am
This is a little off topic but I came across this today and since it deals with privacy rights and most XBox users are young people I thought I'd include it here.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7521879808/h6F9E5BE1/
Thomas

Reply Thu 6 Jun, 2013 11:18 am
@boomerang,
Is this for real, or is it parody? It's so hard to tell these days.