Another weird question...

Thu 30 May, 2013 11:21 pm
Okay, so in making a home generator, you need a copper coil to induce electricity, correct? I made one, well several really, by wrapping copper around iron nails. However, I didn't leave a "tail" when I started wrapping them, so they only have one, at the end. Is there any way I can "add" another tail to act as a "positive" end? By maybe just soldering a short piece of copper to the top of the coil?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,262 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Fri 31 May, 2013 11:09 am
@ElectricDev,
I don't understand Dev how that piece of copper is supposed to make contact to the buried tail

What's to prevent you from unwrapping, then rewrapping to leave a longer tail
dalehileman

Sun 2 Jun, 2013 03:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Dev did I help at all and where do you suppose everybody else, and again can you explain what's meant by the Cu plate connecting to the buried end
0 Replies

Placid Carcass

Sun 14 Jul, 2013 12:26 am
@ElectricDev,
You need to start over and leave a longer tail. Also im not sure how much you know about this, but the wire you used for the coils needs to have lacquer on it otherwise it will not work correctly.

Also besides a copper coil (which doesn't do the inducing) you'll need some permanent magnets. The principle is to get some force to turn a shaft which is attached to an armature (copper windings) inside a magnetic field produced by the permanent magnets. You now have electricity, but no way to use it.

To use it you need some sort of output, which is where a commutator and brushes come into pay. THe commutator is a copper rod at the end of the armature. The brushes literally brush that rod on opposite sides
and attach to a (+) and (-) output.
0 Replies

gensetservices

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 03:25 am
@ElectricDev,
I am afraid, there is no way to add a tail now. However an electrician can help you better.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 03:28 am
@ElectricDev,
PFZZZZZZZZZT - CRACKLE- BZZZZZZZZZZZZ- POP!

Hello? Are you still there, Dev?

Hello?
0 Replies