Home Generator HELP!

Tue 28 May, 2013 10:05 am
Okay, so I've recently started constructing a generator of my own design, and hooking it to an outlet (Like its own outlet, not plugging it into one) so I can run electric devices off or it, I need to know though, is there a way I'm supposed to regulate the voltage? I don't want to fry any TVs or cellphones, so I was wondering if you had to buy or do something to stabilize the voltage to 110v 15 amp like standard home outlets. Does the outlet from a hardware store self regulate?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,166 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Tue 28 May, 2013 04:51 pm
@ElectricDev,
Dev that's really a good q. Regulating such a power source usually entails waste so the general rule is to wind its armature to give the voltage you want, then hope for the best

One of the ways I remember is to adjust the lesser current flowing into its field windings. Or if for some reason you're stuck with a specific output voltage you can step it up or down using a transformer

http://www.learn-about-electronics.com/ac-voltage-regulation.html

http://www.google.com/patents/US4438385

But I'm and oldtimer so it's possible more efficient semiconductor means are today available

Quote:
Does the outlet from a hardware store self regulate?
Never heard of any such thing but then as I said I don't keep up
roger

Tue 28 May, 2013 05:12 pm
@dalehileman,
I'll go out on a limb here and say no outlets from a hardware store is going to self regulate. I don't know if large power plants regulate the field current or not, but it does make a kind of sense. I do know that the rpm is carefully controlled. I've watched the tach on an lp turbine wander about two rpm from the desired 1800 rpm.
ElectricDev

Tue 28 May, 2013 07:41 pm
@roger,
My issue is the rpms steadily rise before maxing out. (I don't know the rpm exactly because I recently disassembled the contraption for oiling.) It runs off of magnetic repulsion to be a self sustaining energy source. So there is no winding down really. All I really need to know is what can I use to lower or stabilize the voltage and rampage to be able to run house hold appliances.
roger

Tue 28 May, 2013 07:53 pm
@ElectricDev,
I doubt I would use it for anything more complex than a light bulb. The frequency is going to be varying as the rpm varies, and I can't guess how that would affect your connected devices.
ElectricDev

Tue 28 May, 2013 09:38 pm
@roger,
Dang. I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Could it maybe charge a battery or capacitor, then run devices off of that? I really don't want to be the guy that spent a year working on a complicated self powering lamp.
gensetservices

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 02:36 am
@ElectricDev,
You know what the least we want is to fry the pricey gadgets. It''s awesome that you have made your own genset!! Bro, invest on a voltage convertor to stay safe whatsoever.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:55 pm
@ElectricDev,
Quote:
Could it maybe charge a battery or capacitor, then run devices off of that?
Presuming that your sys somehow turns out dc, well Dev, the battery is a good idea though you'd need a converter back to ac. A capacitor has relatively low storage capacity
0 Replies

rossweinberg21

Fri 2 Mar, 2018 06:01 am
@ElectricDev,
Sensitive electric equipment can be damaged by spikes in voltage or in voltage excessively higher than the device can operate at for PCs that means nothing less than 114 volts and nothing greater than 126 volts.
0 Replies

centrox

Fri 2 Mar, 2018 07:30 am
@ElectricDev,
ElectricDev wrote:
It runs off of magnetic repulsion to be a self sustaining energy source.

You can't. Perpetual motion or "free energy" machines don't work.
0 Replies