Did Jesus Actually Exist?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 10:58 am
@Olivier5,
The thing is, you apply your own definition of scholar so you can dismiss sources when presented to you.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 11:06 am
@izzythepush,
That is simply not true. It is just an excuse spread by my opponents because they KNOW they cannot find that elusive scholar. None of them has tried to define what a qualified scholar would be.

Instead, Timur has shared names of people who were either long dead, or novelists and pundits, or scholars who never doubted the historicity of jesus. Cheap tricks by cheap posters.

Why don't YOU give it a try? How would you describe a competent scholar on Jesus, or Shakespeare for that matter? They all shied away from that challenge.

PS: After all, I DID find a scholar doubting Jesus' historicity, Carrier, and wrote about him here... What I asked my opponents to do, I have already done, so it's not impossible. And if my intent was to hide the truth, I would not have mentioned him.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 11:33 am
@Olivier5,
I'm not arguing with you.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 11:34 am
@izzythepush,
You are arguing with me; you're just not making a very good job at it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Probably because it's not worth the effort.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Guess it depends what you expect out of the effort... If the only reason you are a doubter is to piss off fundies, you are right that it won't work with me... :-)

On the other hand, if you want to learn something, you might possibly succeed.

As for me, I'm starting to wonder if A2K Jesus deniers have anything remotely factual to say... Apparently not.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 09:05 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:
Just like the issue of the historicity of Shakespeare is trivial.

Not the same at all. Shakespeare left a will, he was a member of the Lord Chamberlain's Men who performed 12th Night in front of the court of Queen Elizabeth I. The same group became the King's Men under the patronage of James I and performed for him. In short there is a lot of evidence other than his writings.

No scholar doubts the existence of Shakespeare although some doubt he wrote all the plays himself.

Sounds like somebody thinks Shakespeare was recording history. Laughing I don't claim to know whether or not he was a historical person, but I'm pretty clear that everybody understood Othello was fiction from the beginning. Clearly a false analogy.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 02:41 am
@FBM,
Point out where I posted anything that suggests Shakespeare recorded history, as opposed to saying there was documentary evidence that Shakespeare actually existed.

Looks to me like someone has comprehension problems.
FBM

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 03:09 am
@izzythepush,
Mea culpa, I should have made it clear that I was agreeing with you. My comment was about Ollie. I've got him on Ignore, so the only time I see anything he writes, it's when someone else quotes him.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 04:17 am
@FBM,
Fair enough, I appreciate that.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:00 am
@izzythepush,
I never said Shakespeare recorded history... But whatever. One more tangent.

I was just agreeing with FBM (and you) that the question of Jesus historicity was trivial. But apparently nobody can be seen to agree with the big bad wolf...

timur

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:07 am
@Olivier5,
No, more like the little weasel.

You have the crappiest logic in matters of historicity.

That's not because you twist things around that it makes your arguments more sound.

You are the big liar..
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:32 am
@timur,
Talk about weasel and see his tail...
0 Replies

timur

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 06:57 am
Olivier wrote:
So I think my job is done here.

You are a big liar.

Put your money where your mouth is...
FBM

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 07:04 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

Olivier wrote:
So I think my job is done here.

You are a big liar.

Put your money where your mouth is...

Looks like another case of the troll giving himself a big O via premature self-congratulation. Wink
Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 07:13 am
@timur,
T'es qu'un triste con, Timur, un imbécile malheureux.

My job IS done here in the sense that I have achieved my objectives. I'm just sticking around to make sure it doesn't get undone by some irrational, aggressive denier or another.

After all, Wikipedia, the Encyclopedia Britannica, the Encyclopedia Judaica, the Encyclopedia Universalis, and I suspect all other respectable repositories of knowledge AGREE WITH ME on this, as anyone can easily verify. Or rather I agree with them and with the scientific consensus on Jesus. You guys are at the fringe. I am the knight protecting the castle of knowledge from the hordes of hyper-doubters.... :-)

timur

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 08:14 am
@FBM,
He has been doing so from the beginning..
timur

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 08:23 am
@Olivier5,
Again, you are a clear case of the highest hypocrisy.

You were the one who was complaining about verbal abuse, now you are spewing insults in French!

Are you afraid that the English speakers know what you are saying, showing your true nature?

No, you are not, far from it, a white knight.

You are defending the obscurantism of the ages, like the church has been doing for centuries.

You are licking the ass of the establishment.

The historicity of Jesus is being contested, a lot more everyday.

A time will come soon when the earth will cease to be flat.

FBM

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 08:27 am
@timur,
timur wrote:

He has been doing so from the beginning..

Yup. It's a pretty common rhetorical tactic among that sort, self-aggrandizement. Masturbatory, really, if you think about it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2014 08:47 am
@timur,
You've insulted me day in and day out here. Why? Is it because you want to be taken as a cogent poster, or because you want to piss me off and get insulted back?

I just gave you what you wanted, and guessed you'd enjoy the French insults better. I find my English insults lame. In French they come out much nicer.