Did Jesus Actually Exist?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 07:46 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Science fiction where it is.

Aside: Have the hard's been getting easier...or am I just getting better???
carloslebaron

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 08:24 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
We have coinage from Alexander's reign--there is coinage from the reign of Philip portraying Alexander. Many cities were named for him, including the city in Egypt which still bears his name. We have the evidence of the Hellenistic kingdoms which arose immediately after his death. Certainly, there is no basis for much of what it is claimed he did, and i have no problem with acknowledging that. His claim to be descended from Homeric heroes, which he attempted to reinforce by going to the oasis at Siwa (so it is said) should certainly be dismissed out of hand.

Whatever others here may have said, my point is that there is no contemporary evidence for Jeebus. No cities named for him, no coinage, no abundant evidence for the actions of his successors, as is the case f0r Alexander. Joe's argument is a non-starter.

The country "El Salvador" is named that way in honor of "Jesus the savior", so what the heck are you talking about?

The comparison of Yeshu (Jesus) with Alexander the Great is stupid. One was a conqueror, a guy with thousands and thousands of "followers", who traveled to different lands and imposed a new way of government.

Yeshu was a dude with a small group of followers, not conquering neither imposing any way of life or government.

The whole discussions are going to the ridiculous, arguing that the writings about Yeshu didn't become a reality up to the third century.

Those writings are clearly Greek translations from Hebrew originals. There is no way for a fisherman like Peter to write so good Greek letters without proper education in that language. Josephus himself recognized that for him the task of learning how to write in Greek was very difficult.

Still, throwing away the gospels, the letters of the apostles, the words of Josephus, etc. no one in the world can put in doubt the Tractate Sanhedrin 43a.

This record does come from the first century of this current era, and it has not been influenced, modified, or similar; and it mentions Yeshu as a sorcerer who incited Israel to apostasy. The penalty was death sentence to be fulfilled on the eve of Passover.

This is a clear and solid evidence that debunks the whole crap many posters have wrote about Yeshu as a never existed human being on earth.

Of course, these fanatics will ignore Tractate Sanhedrin 43a, because their positions are in complete ridiculous in front of such strong evidential fact.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 08:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
I assume this is a non genital related question. You're getting better, I find the "extreme" ones quite easy now, the "deadly" ones still take a bit of work. There's no telling if my "deadly" ones are trickier than your "hard" ones, (again, non genital related.)
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
<<edgarblythe wrote:
People are always looking for a fall guy and the Jews get selected more often than most.>>

Humans reflecting human defects, I could not agree more that minorities, including Jews, are always willfully stereotyped. Jews, down through the ages, have certainly had their share of inglorious typecasting and this is because of the Jesus factor; Jews were exclusively targeted because of the crucifixion of Jesus and were labelled "Christ Killers." Logically, I find it difficult to reconcile myself to the thesis there is no basis for the connection between the Old Testament and the New Testament with Jesus as the principal character in the latter. If Jesus did not exist at the time, to whom do you ascribe the beginning of Christianity!? Christianity and Islam are offshoots of Judaism which is derived from Monotheism, and Jesus introduced the modified form of Judaism to the rest of the world. What other individual replaces Jesus in bringing about Christianity, the newer religious version of Judaism which embraced all of humanity? How can one account for the name of Jesus in Christianity if he did not exist? One could say without Jesus Christianity as we know it today would not exist. The allegation that Jesus is a myth, in my personal opinion, has been created out of whole cloth. I believe the persona called Jesus did exist but not the so-called miracles, which are exaggerations enlarged beyond proportions but are fodder for the suggestible.

As an atheist, I do not believe a man walked on water defying gravity; nor do I believe a man fed thousands of people with only two fish and 5 loaves of bread. I do not believe a man called Jesus turned water into wine, or cured lepers, or raised the dead etc. These are harmless wishes religious followers have assigned to the icon, Jesus.

Yet, all is well, and we will have to agree to disagree. Be well.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 09:32 am
You don't need a man. Just the attitudes and expectations. C G Jung called humanity a myth maker. Phillip Wylie suggested that the Jesus myth may have been the result of an evolutionary move in the minds of a significant number of people. Hence, the new law replaces the old law. It makes sense. Like many evolutionary changes, not every person would be affected by it. Hence, many so called Christians of today actually are still mentally bound by the Old Testament law.There are many people who believe Sherlock Holmes was or is a real person.
It is hard to believe that not one writer or friend or relative left any kind of mention of him. Sure, Joe Anyperson would be immediately forgotten. But, not someone who touched other lives in ways so significant. He was long gone before anybody acknowledged him at all.
Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:23 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
E.g. it is a rule of urban legends that you can never trace back to the source, or even to where it exactly happened, because the source is of course inexistent. But in the case of Christianity, they made their best to cite their sources and to connect the story with local events and people.

Where do Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John cite any sources?

Olivier5 wrote:
Another is that urban legends have typically very weak and transient influences on human affairs.

This reminds me of John Harrington's bonmot: "Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? Why if it prosper, none dare call it treason." Likewise, when urban legends have profound and permanent influences on human affairs, none (or very few) dare call them urban legends.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
It is hard to believe that not one writer or friend or relative left any kind of mention of him. Sure, Joe Anyperson would be immediately forgotten. But, not someone who touched other lives in ways so significant. He was long gone before anybody acknowledged him at all.

It's very easy to understand: his audience was limited to Judean and Galilean Jews (no preaching in the diaspora). Therefore only Palestinian Jews could possibly know of him at the times. And all Jewish documents from that period have been lost in the Roman-Jewish wars, except the Dead Sea scrolls.

Take the case of Hillel, the great rabbi who is thought to have profoundly influenced Jesus. He is considered by modern Jews one of the greatest Jewish sages ever to live. He started a reknown school (so called Beit Hillel). 90% of the norms in the Talmud are borrowed from his school. There are modern foundations named after him, etc. etc.

What contemporary documents do we have about Hillel? None. The Talmud is the first doc in which his name appears.

Which Roman or Greek author ever wrote about him? None. Classical authors were not very good at understanding other cultures... (with few and far between exceptions)

If you were to take a Greek sage, such as Thales, and ask which Jewish or Persian (or even Greek) document now in our possession talked about him during his lifetime, the answer is the same: none. And yet, Thales and Hillel were very important people, much more connected to power, money and therefore scribes than Jesus ever was...

In a nutshell, Jesus doubters assume that everything that happened 2000 years ago should have been documented 2000 years ago. And by Greek authors for some odd reason... That is not a reasonable expectation. Facebook was not invented yet.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:35 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
Where do Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John cite any sources?

In their very title: "according to Mark"; "according to Luke", etc.

Quote:
This reminds me of John Harrington's bonmot: "Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason? Why if it prosper, none dare call it treason." Likewise, when urban legends have profound and permanent influences on human affairs, none (or very few) dare call them urban legends.

Can you present an example of what you mean, other than Jesus of course?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:44 am
@Olivier5,
As I pointed out, I don't think just anybody would be remembered. But a person who touched lives the way Jesus would have? As for the other men you mentioned, I don't know if they existed or not. I have never focused on them. People who believe in Jesus are always trying to rearrange the landscape. Often in destructive ways. It's the only reason I spent any time thinking about him, since I have never been remotely a Christian. I honestly don't care if a real man existed to start the myth. I just don't see it or believe it, based on what others have offered.
timur

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:13 am
Quote:
Jesus doubters assume that everything that happened 2000 years ago should have been documented 2000 years ago. And by Greek authors for some odd reason

You can't help making up crap.

This doubter is quite far from adhering to those views..
Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
We have no reason whatsoever to assume the Jesus 'touched' in any significant way more than a few hundred people. The gospels usually depict him in quite lonely settings. So that's another unfounded expectation. Hillel was (reportedly) the head of the Sanhedrin and thus he must have 'touched' many many more people. And yet his life and ideas are much less documented than Jesus'. So I don't think you have a point.

Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:26 am
@timur,
Have you found one living scholar who doubt the historicity of Jesus yet, Timur?... :-)
Thomas

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:30 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
In their very title: "according to Mark"; "according to Luke", etc.

Seriously? We know that these attributions are fake: Second-century manuscripts of these gospels do not contain these attributions. It isn't until the third century that manuscripts have the now-canonical names attached to the gospels.

Olivier5 wrote:
Can you present an example of what you mean, other than Jesus of course?"

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". Needless to say, I approve of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness being human rights, but the reasoning here rests on two urban legends: (1) that the world has a creator ("nature and nature's god"), and (2) that this creator is what endows humans with rights.

America's Declaration of Independence, which expresses these legends so eloquently, has had a profound influence on America's political culture and legal system. And in my seven years of living in the United States, I have never heard an American calling these things urban legends, and very few Americans appreciated me calling them that. The Declaration's second paragraph, then, is a good example of an urban legend that nobody calls an urban legend because it has had a profound and lasting influence.
timur

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:53 am
@Olivier5,
I did, yet, in your profoundly ignoble wickedness, you dismissed them.

More than that, you keep making up stuff, you liar.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 11:57 am
@Olivier5,
We don't have evidence that a Jesus touched even one person.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:07 pm
Palm Sunday
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3JA4c_yDf7C5oX-s-dFvpkqzLpXs4IO7-Rm6Pns3Jj3PwbsvIrA
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:20 pm
What do y'all make of THIS?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
This:
http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/05/hoax-gospel-goes-viral/
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
oh well...
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 12:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
But they still have the Shroud of Turin.