Did Jesus Actually Exist?

ZarathustraReborn

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 12:17 pm
Maybe I'm just slow, but let me get this right. If I don't believe in, say, the tooth fairy, by your logic, every action I take can be blamed on my failing to believe in the tooth fairy? You really mean to tell me that is the same things? That when someone uses between to kill, whether in justification, or to incite, blaming the faith which created a substrate for those actions to grow in, that is the same as blaming someone who doesn't have a belief for the actions of someone else who equally holds no belief?

Crazy.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 12:21 pm
@ZarathustraReborn,
Jesus...not the "Tooth Fairy" again!

Olivier5

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 12:34 pm
@ZarathustraReborn,
Quote:
If I don't believe in, say, the tooth fairy, by your logic, every action I take can be blamed on my failing to believe in the tooth fairy?

The idea that beliefs are somehow responsible for people's behaviors is YOUR logic, not mine. I was just trying to show you how absurd it is. I'm glad you got that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 01:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Jesus...not the "Tooth Fairy" again!

Here we go, let's have a look at all the old favourites.

There's this guy,
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/xmas/calendar/images/countries/fc.jpg
this long eared rascal,
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5QKAk0T8PfA/T33hZImPttI/AAAAAAAAEJ8/CSLiOzAqwVg/s1600/easter-bunny-11.jpg
this horsy chap,
http://www.spiritualit.net/files/Forest_Unicorn_by_Ironshod.jpg
and let's not forget RL's obsession with this Italian geezer.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B3Xg3SD8csA/UDzpKw0TAPI/AAAAAAAAO3Q/v-dB-C6T0gs/s1600/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster_alone.jpg

First Zardoz, now Zarathustra, what is it with posters whose names start with Z?

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
W. B. Yeats
Setanta

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 01:20 pm
People can sneer if they like, but they are obliged to ignore the horrible crimes of tooth-fairyism and the attendant greed and deceit it engenders. I pity you fools wearing blinders . . .
neologist

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 01:40 pm
@Setanta,
That's not to mention the diabolic greed of those who would extract children's teeth for financial gain.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 02:30 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Added to that, he's a fanatic

LOL if you think that the very idea of a virgin birth man/god that could bring back rotting bodies to life as more then silly on it face then you are a fanatic.

Too bad that in this culture you can no longer burn such fanatics at the stake....
izzythepush

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 03:20 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Added to that, he's a fanatic

LOL if you think that the very idea of a virgin birth man/god that could bring back rotting bodies to life as more then silly on it face then you are a fanatic.

That's what you take issue with? I see you've got no problem with the rest of Setanta's post. Perhaps you've experienced a moment of rare insight.

Quote:
He's not very bright, he routinely butchers what one assumes is his native language, and he's a perfect example of the dictum that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 31 May, 2013 06:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Here we go, let's have a look at all the old favourites.

There's this guy,
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/xmas/calendar/images/countries/fc.jpg

That reminds me of a question I wanted to ask A2K 'doubters': among those of you who have kids, how many never ever made their kids believe in Santa Claus?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 02:54 am
@Olivier5,
My kids never believed in Santa Claus. They knew not to even mention his name, lest Father Christmas take offence and not bring them anything.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 03:14 am
@izzythepush,
I don't have children, but all nieces and nephews believed in Saint Nicolas until 4, 5 years and in "Christ-child" (Christkind,) (resp. Weihnachtsmann [literally 'Christmas man]' a few more years. Like generations before did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:26 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/960162_460036957416361_2137113009_n.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:00 am
@izzythepush,
Why did you make them believe in Father Christmas then? Aren't you in a way complicit in spreading an absolutely ridiculous religious belief?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 09:52 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Why did you make them believe in Father Christmas then? Aren't you in a way complicit in spreading an absolutely ridiculous religious belief?

Olivier...look up the words "joke", "satire" and "irony" in your dictionary...then read his post again.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:21 am
@Olivier5,
It's none of your business how I treat my kids.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Unfortunately a sense of humour can't be taught.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
Father Christmas is not the same guy as St. Nick. He's the Pagan Holly King reimagined by Christians. As such he's a party animal, and likes a drink.

Given the choice, on Dec 24th, would you rather your kids left you milk and cookies or a drop of the hard stuff?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:50 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Father Christmas is not the same guy as St. Nick. He's the Pagan Holly King reimagined by Christians. As such he's a party animal, and likes a drink.

Given the choice, on Dec 24th, would you rather your kids left you milk and cookies or a drop of the hard stuff?

Since I was once mistaken for Santa Claus**, I gotta go with him. But a decent drop of Scotch would be much more welcome than milk and cookiers.

**I am shovelling snow off the sidewalk when a fellow walks by holding a two year old's hand. I have on a red GIANTS cap...a red and white muffler...and my beard and hair had not been trimmed, because it was winter and I let 'em grow in winter.

The kid went ape...Santa Claus, Santa Claus. The father was laughing his ass off...and explaining that Santa was somewhere else.

It was funny...and much safer than the time I was mistaken for Frank Serpico by a New York City police lieutenant!
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 10:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
My daughter once thought an elderly Sikh gentleman was Father Christmas.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 11:24 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It's none of your business how I treat my kids.

Indeed, but if you state that believing in supernatural beings is ridiculous, yet tell your children one such magical dude brings them toys on xmass eve, I can't fail but notice the contradiction.