Stanley Cup 2013

Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 11:03 am
@joefromchicago,
I respectfully disagree. I do agree, that team defense strengthens in the playoffs, though.

Over (the sporadically watched) decades of watching, I've observed that in playoffs and SC, the hot goalie (think Canadien's Dryden...back in the day) make all the difference.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 11:40 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Over (the sporadically watched) decades of watching, I've observed that in playoffs and SC, the hot goalie (think Canadien's Dryden...back in the day) make all the difference.

But the "hot goalie" can be practically anyone these days. In 2010 it was Antti Niemi. In 2011 it was Tim Thomas. I doubt that you'd consider either in the same category as Ken Dryden. Thomas isn't even in the NHL any more. Are Crawford and Rask significantly better than guys like Quick or Luongo or Lundqvist? I don't think so - certainly not to the extent that I'd say I would take Crawford or Rask over any of those guys.
Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
At the risk of putting too fine a point on this debate (which I enjoy) ...

No...but they are still in the top 10-15% of the elite goalies (arguably ... Rask more so than Crawford).
Ragman

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 12:51 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Thomas isn't even in the NHL any more.

Thomas became a bit of head case (understatement of the year)... not so much a scenario that his skills eroded...though, he's longer in the tooth than most top tier goalies. He chose to sit out the 2012–13 season...for unknown (to me) reasons.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 06:47 pm
@joefromchicago,
Then there's the not-too-small-of-a-point in his favor...the 3 shutouts racked up in the playoffs by Rask.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 07:13 pm
OK who here thinks that the award trophy for the winner of the Stanley Cup is the ugliest of all the sports championship trophies? It looks to me like a big trash can with a punch bowl glued to the top.

http://blog.jetblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/stanley_cup.jpg
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:18 pm
@Ragman,
LoL...I will say that it is definitely not a very appealing trophy to me...but the one thing I do like is that it is the same trophy, and you can read or hear about which player did what...when they had it...
George

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 06:57 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Well, it started off looking pretty good, but over time it has become bloated,
awkward and unsightly.

But enough about me.
Miller

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:28 am
Chicago will win the Stanley cup. Wait and see. Bad news about Bergeron.

No news yet about the status of his spleen.
Ragman

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:36 am
@George,
Interesting article on the SC trophy history and the development of the variations and how it got to the one in existence now:

"Unlike the trophies awarded by the other three major professional sports leagues of North America, a new Stanley Cup is not made each year; winners keep it until a new champion is crowned. It is unusual among trophies, in that it has the names of all of the winning players, coaches, management, and club staff engraved on its chalice. Initially, a new band added each year caused the trophy to grow in size, earning the nickname "Stovepipe Cup".
In 1958 the modern one-piece Cup was designed with a five-band barrel which could contain 13 winning teams per band. To avoid the Stanley Cup from growing, when the bottom band is full, the oldest band is removed and preserved in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and a new blank band added to the bottom. It has been referred to as The Cup, Lord Stanley's Cup, The Holy Grail, or facetiously (chiefly by sportswriters) as Lord Stanley's Mug.
The Stanley Cup is surrounded by numerous legends and traditions, the oldest of which is the celebratory drinking of champagne out of the cup by the winning team."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup
panzade

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:58 am
@Ragman,
Fascinating stuff
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 11:24 am
@Miller,
Quote:
Chicago will win the Stanley cup. Wait and see. Bad news about Bergeron.

No news yet about the status of his spleen. Signature

It is not over yet Miller...have faith...Boston is down, but has outplayed them in more than they have not...Toews is hurt also, which means most likely no more big games for Kane...and the last time Boston won they were down 3-2, and had to win on the road...and like 4 teams have done it since 2004...
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:24 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

bergeron's good to go tonight...
panzade

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
good, otherwise the rink organist would be playing "Taps"
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:27 pm
@panzade,

actually, he wasn't at the morning skate.
could be a game-time decision...
Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 06:05 pm
@Region Philbis,
The previous problem was that his spleen might have been bruised, I understand?

FWIW, when you get into a car crash, they always check the spleen.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 06:41 pm
Oh my!
The Bruins are jacked up.This might be their night.
Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 07:11 pm
@panzade,
With Bergeron in there, I feel a lot better.
George

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 07:18 pm
@Ragman,
First blood, Boston.
They're looking just as desperate as I'd hoped.
George

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 07:22 pm
@George,
Shaw takes a puck to the face at close range, gets stitched up and is back on
the bench.
Tough sumbitch.
0 Replies