IS NOTHING SACRED?

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 06:57 am
@Cyracuz,
I agree completely. My intent was that people describe, each one, what they hold sacred. If i were to elaborate, i would say that although we may not always be able to say "this is justice," each of us knows in our hearts if we have been unjust to someone.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 07:38 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:

And as I played Amazing Grace, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothing like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Your post is priceless. Thanks. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 10:04 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
If i were to elaborate, i would say that although we may not always be able to say "this is justice," each of us knows in our hearts if we have been unjust to someone.

That is a truth with modifications, but I agree with what I see as the general idea; we know justice in our laws because we have some "sense of right and wrong". A common misconception is that we have a sense of right and wrong because we have laws.

For myself, I wouldn't use the word sacred about any of my convictions. It is a very emotionally laden word as I understand it. I might say that the love between two people is a sacred, or just love itself, but that statement is more poetic than informative, as I see it.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 10:12 am
Yes, I realize what I call sacred has personal connotations and that in the final analysis nothing we know or believe about it is eternal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 11:08 am
@Cyracuz,
Referring to Setanta's statement, "If I were to elaborate, i would say that although we may not always be able to say 'this is justice,' each of us knows in our hearts if we have been unjust to someone," Cryacuz agrees that "we know justice in our laws because we have some 'sense of right and wrong'. A common misconception is that we have a sense of right and wrong because we have laws. "
It seems to me that both are right in a dialectical sense. We have laws to reflect our sense of right and wrong and that sense is generally influenced by our culture of laws. It is like the question of the chicken and the egg. In reality they (our sense of justice and our legal structure) evolved together--in continuous response to one another-- rather than one after the other.
Setanta

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 11:27 am
@JLNobody,
I dissent to the extent that law has become the debauched handmaiden to capital in far too many examples.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 06:52 pm
@Setanta,
You're right. I was expressing an ideal notion of law and justice. In reality many laws represents the interests of the powerful and our sense of justice often merely rationalizes our interests and related actions.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 11:12 pm
@JLNobody,
You wouldn't be talking of an inborn conscience, would you?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 05:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I dissent to the extent that law has become the debauched handmaiden to capital in far too many examples.

Wow! Marxist much?

So by this statement, can I assume that you do not believe that, in the main, our laws (meaning Western laws) do not reflect the common man's understanding of justice?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 07:48 pm
@neologist,
No, I tend more toward the tabula raza notion that babies do not come into the world with values, egos or superegos, only drives. All else is learned as members of social groups.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 07:50 pm
@JLNobody,
Animals, with instinct. As you say, they learn as they grow, but the innate qualities can't disappear, I think.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 08:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, animals with instincts, but we are also born with great capacity for the development of language (especially grammar) and other human cultural productions.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 08:40 pm
@JLNobody,
Yep. Learn as they grow.
0 Replies