IS NOTHING SACRED?

neologist

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 01:37 pm
Life
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 01:44 pm
@Setanta,
No spiders? What about trolls? If any show up (which they're quite likely to do), will you get rid of them, too?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 10:54 pm
@Setanta,
Here's an example of how we define situations and act toward them accordingly;

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Nova back country. As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played Amazing Grace, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothing like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

neologist

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 10:56 pm
@JLNobody,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 04:13 am
@JLNobody,
Thank you jl.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 04:26 am
@JLNobody,
Brilliant JL t, you've single handedly saved this thread from becoming too preachy.
I see that the damned spellcheck is back. Now I have to take time and go back to correct my errors(or not).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 04:46 am
I certainly never wanted to preach to anyone. I'm glad that JLN has a good attitude.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 08:59 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Here's an example of how we define situations and act toward them accordingly;

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Nova back country. As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions.

I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late.

I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play. The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man.

And as I played Amazing Grace, the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished, I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothing like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."

Great story, but it's been around for years. I always enjoy hearing it.

Back to sacred, I consider my right to vote not just sacred but a citizen responsibly.
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:04 am
Individuality, otherwise we'd all be boring.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:14 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Life

Life as a general concept I can see calling sacred. But of nature's many misfires every aspect of life cannot be so. A murderous dog such as Pol Pot or the Boston bombers are worthy of no respect I can come up with. There are other misfires I do not honor, but my point should be clear enough.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:19 am
I can't agree because nature is to profligate of life . . . there is always an overabundance of life.
neologist

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:42 am
@Setanta,
OK. Well, just my life. And Edgar's
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:44 am
That should have read "so profligate" . . .
neologist

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 09:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
That should have read "so profligate" . . .
So?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I can't agree because nature is to profligate of life . . . there is always an overabundance of life.

That too.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 04:35 pm
I think I answered the question "Is anything ontologically sacred?" whereas most people have been answering the question "Is anything sacrosanct?" There is a difference: I find much that is sacrosanct, as an expression of my value system; but there is nothing I find sacred--a matter of my ontological perspective.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 04:44 pm
Perhaps Set should have entitled this thread "IS NOTHING REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT?"

It wouldn't be quite as clever but it would have avoided all the pointless digression on semantics.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 02:21 am
It might have been better to have asked "What moral or philosophical value is most important to you?" However, i like my title, and don't think there's anything wrong with it. It wouldn't have mattered, people will answer as they choose not matter what i say.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 05:06 am
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:

Individuality, otherwise we'd all be boring.

Amen!!! (If I may be so bold)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 05:40 am
@Setanta,
Interesting question. I agree that the ideals should be considered sacred in the meaning "entitled to reverence and respect".
But we must also acknowledge that rigid definitions of what constitutes justice, for instance, can sometimes twist justice into becoming something quite corrupt.

I think some things should be mandatory for all to consider and take a stand on, and in that sense, equity towards others and justice are sacred ideals. But we should not blindly accept what others tell us constitutes justice and equity. What we put into these ideals at any time should always be up for discussion. Otherwise, it would be dogma.