do you use a sketchbook?

Vivien

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 08:31 am
My friends are divided - some use sketch books and others consider it was only 'something you did for your degree course' and don't need to bother with now.

How about you?

I love my sketchbooks - i can jot things down, work out ideas. write stuff, stick bits in. add the odd photo or digital print, simply do quick sketches of scenes or people, work around ideas for large paintings - all sorts of stuff. Sometimes things become finished paintings but not necessarily.

i also love to see other people's sketchbooks, they give a real insight into thought processes.

Turners sketchbooks were amazing and so contemporary, loose and free.

so who keeps sketchbooks going? or doesn't? and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,053 • Replies: 21
No top replies

unluckystar

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
I love my sketchbook! It is a place where I can draw, write, stick photos and cards in, whatever. I love my sketchbook and I think that everyone should keep one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:37 pm
I keep a portfolio of sketchbooks and tools behind the backseat of my truck. It goes with me all over. ive been doing some work in mid New York State recently. Ive been able to catch a bunch of sketches of sugar tapping. Ill do entire scenes, take a picture and , if I want a painting, Ill refer to my sketches because, as you know, a phhoto flattens the life out of a subject.

I also do detailed sketches of pieces of equipment that I come across. The gears and parts are fascinating and I can bring out details by skecthing. I dont consider it a waste but an aid.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:44 pm
I can draw. Is that the same thing as sketching? Smile
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:55 pm
I used to carry one around and made sketches almost daily...what happened? I'm not sure, but these days I devote more time to my music and my sketches have become a bit rusty.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:43 pm
Well... notebook in which pictures and ideas go. Close enough I warrent...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 03:34 pm
Letty wrote:
I can draw. Is that the same thing as sketching? Smile

yes and no!

using sketchbooks is a different thought process - the drawings are personal. They may never be completed but just quick lines describing a movement in dance or someone walking, details of something that interested you, views as you sit waiting somewhere, stuff stuck in for reference for working towards paintings, maybe working out a composition, trying out several versions .... and a million more things like a journal of sorts as i write stuff down about places or artists work seen etc. They are about you working things out and thinking around an idea, some stuff works and some doesn't.

a drawing usually implies something more finished and aiming to be framed - but not necessarily of course

It is really good to keep a sketchbook handy and use it lots.

site on sketchbook use

this site gives some idea of what i mean and something like the way i use mine.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 03:38 pm
farmerman wrote:
I keep a portfolio of sketchbooks and tools behind the backseat of my truck. It goes with me all over. ive been doing some work in mid New York State recently. Ive been able to catch a bunch of sketches of sugar tapping. Ill do entire scenes, take a picture and , if I want a painting, Ill refer to my sketches because, as you know, a phhoto flattens the life out of a subject.

I also do detailed sketches of pieces of equipment that I come across. The gears and parts are fascinating and I can bring out details by skecthing. I dont consider it a waste but an aid.

yes that's exactly what i mean. one friend only uses a pen and fills books rapidly with studies of people, often performers and musicians rehearsing shows. He uses it to hone his skills and his books are a delight.

Another uses high quality watercolour paper books and they are finished pieces in themselves with the writing incredibly neat - but he publishes books on places he has been so the pages will simply be reproduced - I could NEVER work that neatly!

Others use their books more like me - bits of all sorts, paintings, drawings, writing, bits stuck in, photos ....

what you say about flattening is so true - both colour and perspective/sense of distance. When you draw you often subtly emphasise things, often unconsciously, to bring out the sense of distance or a hill going steeply down from you - a photo doesn't have the same drama
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 03:43 pm
SealPoet wrote:
Well... notebook in which pictures and ideas go. Close enough I warrent...

definitely.

your latest poem signature is the best yet![/[/size]color]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 03:45 pm
Vivien, I was teasing. I have done one oil on canvas board and it's unfinished. I like it though. I understand about a sketch book, but thanks for the link.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 03:45 pm
Watch this space. I'll be rotating the avatar tonight or tomorrow...

The avatar sketches are quickies... fine detail dissapears when I shrink the large drawings to 90x100 pixels... so the avatars are more like the ballpoint doodles that go into the sketchbook...
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 11:18 pm
I go no where without either my sketchbook or camera. If I don't have the book handy I shoot a picture and sketch it out later.

I think sketch books are an indispensable part of the creative process, at least for me. I use mine to do rough ideas, write notes, draw different angles of an idea and generally use it for every part of an art project except the final piece.

I love my sketchbooks, they are one of the first things I would grab in a fire.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:26 am
Aldistar wrote:

I love my sketchbooks, they are one of the first things I would grab in a fire.

Very Happy yes me too

Seal I love the drawings - good luck with the book
0 Replies

heliopo

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:41 am
hmm, I never use a sketchbook. many of my art friends have some and use it every day. maybe I am to afraid or lasy to have one.
If I paint, I do it spontaneous, alone at home directly on paper or canvas.
I heard , its importand to use a sketchbook, to hold your ideas.
regards
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 04:50 am
I forgot about thhe ideas aspect of sketchbooks. I usually use a cheap hardbound 16x20 with relatively cheap paper for quick sketches and ideas. I fill the spaces with notes about perspective or colors. If I do a rough work of a subject I use a 16X20 Bristol book with a very smooth finish. The windsor takes a lot of abuse from eraser and pencil rubbing and holds up really well. However, I still have sketchbooks from my youth that are barely affected by time.

I own a bunch of New England country and water side sketches done by an artist named Emile Gruppe. His work is not holding up too well. Some of his pencil sketches done in the 40s , are yellowing, Im thinking of scanning them and hanging the scanned copies and putting the originals in dark drawers, or give them to a museum in Rockport Mas
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:23 am
this is a recent lightning sketch of Rosie - she doesn't keep still for 2 seconds!

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11568/normal_rosie%20sketch%20for%20email.jpg

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11568/normal_rosie%20sketches%20a2k.jpg
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:49 pm
I keep, not one but, several sketchbooks. I like to work on my ideas and once it becomes a finish painting, if I sale it, I will always have the original with me. They are both original but the sketches are always what brings you back to that moment when you first had the idea!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:28 pm
Vivien wrote:
this is a recent lightning sketch of Rosie - she doesn't keep still for 2 seconds!

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11568/normal_rosie%20sketch%20for%20email.jpg

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/11568/normal_rosie%20sketches%20a2k.jpg

best images. She should be get paintress.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:46 pm
I sketch off and on five days a week at my desk and at lunch with my design partner. I walk unencumbered, as it were, the rest of the time, eyes only.

My design partner and I talk about more in space than design, and can hardly talk without a pencil. Still, I don't do it when I am by m'self. If needs be, I'll grab the camera.

Some of this seeming lethargy has to do with years, not age so much as in time spent.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:40 pm
Thok wrote:

best images. She should be get paintress.

thanks Thok - I am! my website address is in my profile
0 Replies