Ebert's GREAT MOVIES, Part 9: "Casablanca"

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
Hi, Mr. Wizard, et al. "As Time Goes By" is a perfect caption for the movie, and I do believe that Bogie's line was "Play it, Sam". Smile

Thinking back, and viewing the film holistically, I now realize what a coup Casablanca was in the propaganda machine. It was truly an art form combining all those elements that Americans and the free world hold so dear--tears, anger, sacrifice, unity, something that is definitely missing in the mixture of today's machinations. To comment further, would be superfluous.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:10 pm
Casablanca
Letty, As Time Goes By clearly verges on "classical music" (like Yesterday and Elinor Rigby). And wasn't it "Play it AGAIN Sam"? I must add to your list of qualities MOOD and/or TONE.
The Superfluous Man
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:18 pm
Ilsa Lund: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.
Sam: [lying] I don't know what you mean, Miss Elsa.
Ilsa Lund: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."
Sam: [lying] Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Elsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa Lund: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...
[Sam begins playing]
Ilsa Lund: Sing it, Sam.
Sam: [singing] You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings---
Rick Blaine: [rushing up] Sam, I thought I told you never to play---
[Sees Ilsa. Sam closes the piano and rolls it away.]
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:25 pm
Yikes, nobody. I meant any further comments from LETTY Embarrassed

Thanks, Mr. Wizard. There you go gettin' things right again Rolling Eyes Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:31 pm
CASABLANCA
Wow, what a memory!
(just kidding)

That settles that (the power of empiricism)
So now my argument has degenerated to the insistence that it SHOULD have been "Play it again, Sam".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 12:40 pm
Part of the trivia of the film is that Ilsa didn't say, "Play it again, Sam." To uncloud the mystery of my supposed fabulous memory, this is part of the script copied and pasted from IMDB:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0034583
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:04 pm
Phoenix,Casablanca HAS been re-made.
It´s called "Barb-Wire".Hard to believe but true.Awful awful trash.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 01:09 pm
Hey--I know the bridge to "As Time Goes By" and I don't EVEN have to look it up. Idea

".....Moonlight and love songs never out of date,
Hearts full of passion, jealousy and hate.
Woman needs man, and man must have his mate,
That no one can deny.

(Last verse)
It's still the same old story,
The fight for love and glory,
The case of do or die.
The world will always welcome lovers,
As time goes by."

How's that for RNA? Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 02:22 pm
Very good!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 02:26 pm
You're not talking about the awful Pamela Anderson vehicle, hebba?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:49 pm
Letty, love your voice! :wink: Smile Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Surprised
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 10:55 pm
Hey, sweet Letty!! Sing it for us, Letty. I can almost hear you.

The score to a movie is what makes so many of them memorable for me and is usually the trigger that brings on the tears. (Phoenix, you're hogging the towel!)

Hatari and the Baby Elephant Walk. It fits so well, with the feisty little elephants looking sassy and ready to play. The breezy Mancini music hit the stride of the elephants just right. A sort of carefree, ready to break out and run for the love of it, kind of rhythm.

Mrs. Robinson.

Some of Clint Eastwood's spahgetti westerns had good music that fit the look and action. Of course, Clint's squint was enough for me.

Can't think of any others now. The closer it gets to midnight, the more brain dead I become.

Good night Gracie.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 11:20 pm
How about LOTR.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:30 am
Laura has been mentioned above. The movie would lose nearly half of its charm if it weren't for that haunting theme song which has become a jazz standard.

You're right, LW. Nobody ever says "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca. Ina later scene, Rick says, "Play iy, Sam." When Sam hesitates, Rick says, "You played it for her. Go on. Play iy, Sam." (And I didn't have to look that up.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:35 am
M.A.- You are right- I checked it out, the last time that I watched the film. I also found this:

Link to "Casablanca" Quotes
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:54 am
LW,the awful Pamela Anderson vehicle is exactly what I´m talking about.It´s a re-make of Casablanca.
Of course most people walk out of it before it becomes apparent but Pammy plays "Rick".Amazing.
I am the ONLY person that was stunned by this?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 07:05 am
What more can one say about Casablanca? I voted for Ingrid Bergman. The expression in her eyes in the closeup at the end of the picture, just one little tear falling, maybe two, aahh. Crying or Very sad I'd love to know how the votes in the above poll were cast. I have a feeling the majority of men chose Bogart. But, I guess it's a secret poll and I'll never know. Sad It has aroused my curiosity, though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 07:27 am
Raggedyaggie- Actually, I voted for Bogart, but it was a tossup- How can you separate out parts of perfection?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:21 am
Raggedyaggie, I voted for Bergman as well. Some may argue, but I consider Ilse to have been her signature role, one to which all her others must be compared. I could be wrong here, and haven't bothered to look this up, but I believe I recall having read somewhere that Bergman was a last-minute choice, and met with some objection.

timber
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 08:24 am
Oh, I agree, Phoenix. But --- Who else at that time could have broken Bogart's tough guy image so convincingy. He was starry-eyed a few times prior, with Bette Davis, Ida Lupino, Mary Astor, etc., but he was putty in the hands of Bergman. Laughing It would be another two years before Lauren Bacall caused him to sizzle. Without Bergman, would Bogart have become a "romantic" leading man? Hold your fire, folks. Was that cannon fire or do I hear my heart beating?
0 Replies