Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 01:55 am
Actually, the only credible information on the topic is that George Martin didn't like Best and wanted him gone. Martin said that he just wanted to use an experienced session drummer, and that he felt terrible about how the decision affected Best. McCartney, however, has a different recollection, to the effect that Martin didn't like the style of drumming, which McCartney claimed was common in Liverpool bands, and that Martin told them he was really unhappy with the drummer. McCartney says they dropped Best because they thought their shot at a recording contract was on the line. There are numerous sources for these claims by both Martin and McCartney. Romeo's "word on the street" is the bulls*it rattling around in his empty head.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 09:45 am
Watched an interesting film dealing with the early days of The Beatles in Hamburg called Backbeat(1994)
The relationships between John Lennon, Stu Sutcliffe and Astrid Kirschner are well acted although Paul McCartney was miffed with the script.
Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2014 03:08 pm
@panzade,
I thinbk that may be the motion picture version of the play i mentioned earlier. The time frame is about right--both the timeframe of the release of the film, and the time frame of the narrative.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 04:52 am
I don't believe this song has been posted here yet . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 04:58 am
Don't stop me even if you have heard it . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 04:59 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 05:03 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 05:27 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 05:28 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 05:34 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 05:48 am
The Concert for George in 2002 included Jeff Lynne (this is for you, Lordy), Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney, Richard Starkey and Tom Petty, to name just some of the performers. Here they do one of George's best . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2014 07:26 am
Here, Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen do a couple of classics . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 06:22 am
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 06:24 am
Here's a rare piece . . .

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 06:29 am
@Ragman,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 06:31 am
Here the Beatles do "The One After 909" in a rehearsal at the Cavern Club--i believe this is with Pete Best on drums.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 11:52 am
If this has seen this thread , sorry.
My favorite live Beatles.
George absolutely nails Don Rich, buck Owens lead guitar player on Act Naturally.
Paul's Yesterday is great...but don't get where they got the string section. Were they part of an orchestra?
John running his elbow up and down the electric piano.
A real treasure.
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:22 pm
I don't think that particular video has been posted, but in any event, i'm not going to be upset if someone posts a song or a set of songs which have been posted before. Thanks, i enjoyed that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:33 pm
@panzade,
I'm rather sure that I saw it on tv in 1965 ("Blackpool Night Out"). Thanks!

The strings ...:
Quote:
McCartney performed two takes of "Yesterday" on 14 June 1965.[10][11] Take 2 was deemed best and used as the master take. A string quartet was overdubbed on take 2 and that version was released.[11] Take 1, without the string overdub, was later released on the Anthology 2 compilation. On take 1, McCartney can be heard giving chord changes to George Harrison before starting, but George does not appear to actually play. Take 2 had two lines transposed from the first take: "There's a shadow hanging over me"/"I'm not half the man I used to be,"[10] though it seems clear that their order in take 2 was the correct one, because McCartney can be heard, in take 1, suppressing a laugh at his mistake.
Source
panzade

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 01:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I was referring to the strings at this live show. I never had heard that the Beatles ever performed with a live string section.
The sound on Blackpool is superb. In fact you can hear the sound mixer making adjustments on the fly.

edit-
Ahhh Walter you pointed me in the right direction
Quote:
Meanwhile, in the UK, Help! debuted at number one on August 14 1965 (the first album ever to do so), and continued to top the charts for nine weeks.[13] According to a website, "Yesterday" was dedicated to Iris Caldwell[14] on the show "Blackpool Night Out". Her mother, Violet, told McCartney that her daughter didn't want to speak to him again because he "didn't have any feelings".[15] During this performance, McCartney sang the song and played acoustic guitar, backed by a string quartet, but not by his fellow Beatles.
0 Replies