bad experience (assault, gropery, racism) in a college

brahmin

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 06:31 pm
please read this sordid story and please share any perspective you can and/or advice me as to the way forward =

I was till recently a student in a south texas university. I was doing my masters in Physics and was also drawing a paycheck as an "teaching assistant" employee. A senior student - a PhD student to my masters, from Sri Lanka did the following -

1) he tried to arm twist and daily plead and persist with me to take him into a couple of small start-up companies i was trying to launch - the company - how ever humble - was already registered by then. He cant be asking me to break the business agreement I signed with my American business partner and include him instead!! It started with requests, then pleading and then outright harassment, emotional blackmail and hazing.

2) much finger pointing and talking derogatorily/humiliatingly to me in campus for the "crime" of using his computer - the computer actually belongs to the college and was suggested by a college personnel that i use. So he cant be objecting to my using it, certainly not in insulting tones and gestures, asking me how dare I use "his" computer (it belongs to the college and any student of the college can use it) and threatening to take me to the Head of the Department. Neither the dean nor the Principal talks to anyone like that - so he is he to do it to a fellow student and employee?

3) assault outside my house on the night of 25th August 2011 at about 8.45 pm. (which was across the street from the college), with much name calling, insulting curses, coming chest to chest, shouting and cussing at me and then shoving me physically and lightly slapping me. The reason he assaulted me because he crashed his car and damaged it - I had nothing to do with the crash. He has no right to take it out on me. No one has the right to assault an foreign student on American soil.

4) much profane behavior with a female student in my house, including gropery, asking to be smooched while drunk crawling on the floor of my house, and (together with her) smooching and making out in my bed after deliberately getting me drunk with strong loco 4 beer. (she is guilty too of sailing along - or else I feel it came close to being a "date-rape", to induce the host (me) the the woman to drink heavily and then take advantage), several instances of socially unacceptable behavior and pleas to/with her (eg - emotional abuse in my house which often had her in tears, refusing to leave my house even when i asked him to etc etc).

Besides these there were a variety of objectionable instances of misbehavior and unacceptable behavior on me or in my house, which are too numerous to list. In short he befriended me so get into my start-up company, and then ended up hazing, groping, insulting me, getting me drunk to fool around in my house with a girl student and finally assaulting me.

The Sri Lankan student is clearly in violation of many items of the University's official code of conduct

This is where the story takes a more serious turn. When i complained about this to the college - which happens to be a principally hispanic institution, the Hispanic adjudicator, said that though I had requested him to sit in judgement for now, he was forced to react in some way since the allegations were so serious ("Because your allegation of harassment by Mr.SW. is so serious, I am compelled to respond in some form. I need to do this because if your allegations are found to be true, then they represent a violation of our policy on harassment. The University is intolerant of behaviors that would be deemed as harassment and that create a hostile environment for any individual on our campus."

Then upon speaking to this Sri Lankan guy and the girl, (the girl is a somewhat famous Chess player from a Latin American country with her own wiki page and a "star" student of the college) - the adjudicator made a volteface, deemed that the guy (from sri lanka) had done nothing much, let him off the hook with a serious word and also verbally told me to absolutely never mention this subject again, threatening me with suspension - I did not assault - I got assaulted!!

I believe it was to protect the reputation of the "famous" latin american girl student and hush up the whole series of incidents. The girl often had the guy sleeping over in her college dorm room (which usually results in a suspension for both parties)- something i had mentioned in my complaint - and it too was conveniently ignored.

How could my allegations be so serious one day that the adjudicator is compelled to act though he had been asked to sit in judgement, and then (after speaking to the latin american sports person) become only worth a serious word with the Sri Lankan student, with express instructions to me to keep things quiet? How can someone who assaults a student and virtually ruins his life/happiness in college be allowed to get away with it?

The adjudicator did not even try to verify if my allegations are true and instead wound up the case in one day - I believe as per American law, he at least owed me a "free and fair" trial. As far as I know all American institutes are obligated to do their best to verify if allegations and aspersions are true - and if so, act accordingly. He instead came up with a slip shod judgement and then wound up the case for good. An eminent Dallas based lawyer told me she sees enough grounds in the case to get me a "U visa" (a sort of compensation to the victim by the US govt in the work of a work permit) - so that shows the magnitude of the incident.

Today i am out of that college - due to bad grades - i had to take medical counsel after this decision, which also affected my grades (I dont know if the adjudicator/college can be sued for causing me so much medical trauma and distress with his partial decision that I had to take counselling. The extent to which I suffered medically is well recorded by the college medical counselor, ) The chess player woman is guilty too - she had him sleeping over in her dorm room, aside of the making out incident in my house, she too did many sexually profane, vulgar and offending acts in my house (hence her need to hush things up). My house cant be their love hotel.

At any rate I would hope you would agree that hazing, assault, insults and a variety of harassment cannot and should not be what any graduate student should have to endure in any college - and then to top it all - the biased, horrendous decision to hush up the matter without thoroughly investing the matter and trying to verify if the incidents are true.

This is hardly the full extent of the story - I can supply the details if you ask. The incidents happened between Feb 2011 and Sept 2011 - but even 2 years later I still suffer from the trauma and the emotional strain of the incidents. I (and consequently) my parents have suffered no end for the last 1.5 years because of this student and the college's indecision.

I do realize I should be very careful while using words like ""racial bias" - but you would agree that it does look like it - before the south american sports woman came into the picture, the hispanic adjudicator of a principally Hispanic college found it very serious etc - then he found it worth only a serious word - and I meanwhile was told not to mention this issue again in a land of free speech!!).

brahmin

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 08:40 pm
@brahmin,
no one has anything to say !!!

Sad
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 07:02 am
Here's your response.

Getting drunk is your own responsibility - this guy didn't make you drink. So stop acting like a victim in that area.

As for the rest of it, if the school won't give you satisfaction, the cops might. Or go to the press.

But decide for yourself what you want the endgame to be. Do you want to graduate on time? When is that supposed to be? If it's in 2 years, then you are potentially setting up 2 rather uncomfortable years for yourself. You have tried normal channels (although you might be able to appeal to the dean) and they have not worked.

Being a whistleblower is not easy, but the first thing you really need to do is make it less about your own needs and problems and more about pure violations of the school's code. The school cares about its code and honor violations as they reflect poorly back upon the school. As for them caring about you, I am not saying they don't, but acting whiny is not winning you any friends.
brahmin

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 05:45 pm
@jespah,
yes i agree - drinking is my responsibility - and not making out in others beds or in any other way acting profane in a collegues' house is theirs.

I am out of that school - so i have no problems - the guy clearly violated many of the school's rules - and the adjudicator violated ethics by taking sides to protect the latin american girl.

However i take your point about not making it an issue of whether i have been hard done by but instead of whether school rules have been compromised.

you mentioned press - please advice me on this one - i have a police case of the assault even - but which kind of press to contact NYT? CNN? fox?? are there watch dog bodies like ADL or Southern Poverty Law center for hazing and racial prejudice?

Should I revel the whole story or only the assault (as my lawyer advised me to do while reporting to the police - report only the assault)
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 06:31 pm
I have no idea, brahmin. as my memory of your posts is confusing. I think I remember an angry person, but I haven't looked back to check. Surely - in any case - you should be asking an attorney or a second attorney.
brahmin

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
lol why do you remember me as an angry person lol - yes like everyone i also have problems and rigid "stands about certain issues...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 07:17 pm
@brahmin,
I just do. I speak to you as someone not perfect, the opposite, but I'm telling you my memories of your posts, generally. Maybe your angry ones stood out. I don't remember.
brahmin

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 05:36 pm
@ossobuco,
what i remember of you is no better that what you remember of me.

anyways neither is germane to the topic at hand.

Would someone else please let me know what my options are - which media organizations and which watch dog bodies i could contact for help if i get assaulted in an american college and then the college adjudicator deliberately lets the assailant off the hook.

please everyone click here and read this story - usa does not tolerate such things - http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/indian-origin-soldier-says-she-faced-harassment-over-muslim-name-364934?fb

but where can we complain if such events happen ??
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:19 pm
@brahmin,
Quote:
I am out of that school - so i have no problems

So if you are out of that school and have no problems anymore, why do you want "attention" from the Media?

Life is about lessons no? I am sure you are capable of knowing right from wrong, therefore, who is in the wrong and who is in the right, and therefore, you know that answer and now, it goes to bed....................

Well it should ....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:50 pm
@brahmin,
It might be useful for you, now, to review your old posts.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:56 am
I have lodged a complaint against the college to the ACLU, the federal and TX attorney general's office, to the FBI civil rights division, to the civil rights division of the dept of education.

Could someone suggest what more could be done - I am suspecting racial favoritism, violation of civil and/or constitutional rights and also employee discrimination (I was a tax paying student worker in that college).

Is there any way I could find a law firm/lawyer to sue the college on a pro bono basis or a "percentage of the damages" basis
jespah

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 02:32 pm
@brahmin,
Look up your local bar association in the phone book and ask about being represented on a retainer.
chai2

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 05:18 pm
@jespah,
Yeah, but asking us is so much more productive.
0 Replies