If These ******* Food Producers Keep Omiting The Salt I WILL Scream!

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 03:12 am
So I was eating some Costco mixed nuts, have not had them for awhile. I eat a few handfuls and don't want anymore because they are not doing anything for me. WTF!, I always love nuts, always have. Are my taste buds dying? Then I remember about the salt Nazi drive to ruin our food. SO I look at the label. MOTHER. FUCKERS!...almost no salt. I go get the Himalayan Pink salt and turn turn turn the grinder. Ok, it is not me dying, nuts are still great.

Good food should not be this much work.

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 05:09 am
@hawkeye10,
you can always put salt on, you cant take it off.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 06:01 am
A libtard pig like Sloan would probably have some sort of a vacuum device to try to take the salt out of meat and eggs...
raprap

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:03 am
@hawkeye10,
The more salt you put on your food, the more salt you need to use to taste it. I never salt my food, so foods that are heavily salted are unpalatable.

If I were you I'd read the lable--and buy salted peanuts.

BTW I can never buy popcorn at movie theaters--they use too much salt for my taste----

Where the salt Nazis for me?

As Farmerman said--you can always salt to taste. I can't unsalt to taste. Unsalted foods are a constitutional right.

Rap
raprap

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:06 am
@gungasnake,
Ganja everytime you open your mouth you dis;play to all that you're an idiot.

Rap
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:11 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Are my taste buds dying?

yes

that's part of the normal aging process

it takes more flavour for you to be able to taste things

at the same time, if you're a regular user of salt you need more salt all the time to taste it

so yes, you fucked your tastebuds by getting old and using salt

<shrug>

you've got salt in the house - add it to the stuff you want salted
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:12 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
take the salt out of meat and eggs...

neither eggs nor meat are naturally salted - humans add salt - it's one of those fun results of evolution
saab

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:52 am
@ehBeth,
Food was not really salted for taste in the very beginning but for perserving.
You could salt or smoke meat and fish.
Fish was usually put in water afterwards to remove most of the salt.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 11:19 am
@raprap,
Quote:
If I were you I'd read the lable--and buy salted peanuts

my complaint is about foods which during my 50 years have always been reliably seasoned, which no longer are. we are going backwards, and it is annoying.

what will be next? all vegetables must be raw? all meats must be boiled till grey? we used to try to put good food on the table, now it is all about ethics and the latest junk science about what our body wants.

let the taste buds decide, damn it!
firefly

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 08:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
What makes you think Costco has decreased the amount of salt used on its Kirkland mixed nuts?

The "salt Nazis", as you call them, really don't care about the salt sprinkled on snacks such as nuts, or potato chips, which is generally very minimal, they are concerned with the considerably higher amounts which are often hidden in processed and prepared foods.

What's your idea of "almost no salt" in a container of mixed nuts? How much sodium do you think should be reflected on the nutritional label of mixed nuts in order for you to be able to taste it?

Because the salt used on mixed nuts is all on the outside of the product it is easily tasted, so manufacturers can use very small amounts and still achieve a product that does taste salty. With salted mixed nuts, they generally need just enough salt to enhance the flavor of the nuts without interfering with it--people who want to eat mixed nuts obviously want to taste the various nuts, and not just have a salty taste in their mouth, because different nuts have distinct flavors.

The amount of salt used in mixed nuts seems rather standard. Both Costco's Kirkland Mixed Nuts and Planters Deluxe Mixed Nuts contain about the same amount of sodium, 75-80 mg or 3% per serving. Planters also makes lower salt and unsalted varieties, to cater to other consumer preferences.

As you say, you hadn't eaten these mixed nuts in a while, so maybe your taste memory was faulty, maybe they were never as salty in taste as you remember, or maybe the quality of the nuts used by Costco has changed.

Or, as ehBeth has suggested, your taste perception might have changed with age, or with the amount of salt you generally tend to use.

So, the mixed nuts you had might have been as "reliably seasoned" as they ever were, but your taste preferences, or taste perception, might have altered over time. You may be accusing the nut manufacturers of doing something they are not actually doing. Those, like Planters, who do offer varieties with lower salt content, do it quite openly.

Quote:
let the taste buds decide, damn it!

They do decide. People like you are free to add more salt than is the standard, and people who like a less salty taste might opt for the Planters lower salt or unsalted varieties.

And, if you go to the Costco Web site, and read the customer reviews for those Kirkland Mixed Nuts, you will find some people complaining that they taste too salty and requesting that they be made in a lower salt variety or with less salt. So some people have quite different perceptions of this product than you do.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 06:09 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

The more salt you put on your food, the more salt you need to use to taste it. I never salt my food, so foods that are heavily salted are unpalatable.

That's quite right, you get used to what you've been fed, manufacturers add excessive salt and sugar to increase sales. When I was in America I couldn't eat Kellogg's cornflakes, they were too sweet, not like the ones back home. Whenever I use an American recipe I use a quarter of the sugar, otherwise I can't eat it.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 06:12 am
@izzythepush,
Hawkeye gets more like this guy every day.
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 06:45 am
@izzythepush,
We have the actual thing here in New York

Joe(This is mild one.)Nation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 08:14 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Ok, it is not me dying, nuts are still great.

well, yeah, you are getting closer to death and you can't taste salt the way you used to

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/do-your-taste-buds-change-as-you-get-older.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/booming/sense-of-taste-changes-with-age.html?_r=0

(it is a change in the sense of smell as well as diminished taste buds)

Quote:
As it happens, taste buds do diminish as people get older, usually starting at 40 to 50 in women and 50 to 60 in men (why later for them is unknown). And those that remain do not, so to speak, step up to the plate to make up for their departed colleagues. No, they begin to atrophy, and sometime around age 60, people may notice that they have lost some taste sensation, usually beginning with salty and sweet tastes and then bitter and sour ones.

http://longevity.about.com/od/agingproblems/a/Is-Your-Taste-Changing-With-Age.htm

bottom line - it's best if the restaurants you go to have younger rather than older chefs ... an old chef won't know he's over-salting for most of his customers
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 12:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
bottom line - it's best if the restaurants you go to have younger rather than older chefs ... an old chef won't know he's over-salting for most of his customers

that is a red herring as I am talking about factory food which has a nutrition label which tracks the disappearing salt...but I have noticed chefs getting onto the low flavor bandwagon. I refuse to come back unless they provide me with high quality salt at the table to compensate, a standard salt shaker will not due. there are places that will bring a trio of salts if you ask, which is cool with me, all is forgiven.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 01:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
I had a conversation with Chef Bruce Naftaly before he closed Le Gourmand last year....he who was doing farm to table/organic/localvore/naming the source as early as the 70's...the Father of Northwest cooking. He pronounced this low flavor cooking as bullshit, a healthy dose of salt in the cooking process is not optional, it is a requirement to get to great tasting food he said. you can to some extent fix the failure to salt at the table, but not fully. I agree.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 01:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
also, I started in this profession during the 70's....at that time we were taught to add 80% of the salt required for perfection, this allowance made to those who want low salt. This is what I teach my people.

btw...I cheer when ever I see someone get booted from Top Chef for not seasoning....we need more of this demand to make chefs stick to the standard of making great tasting food.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:25 pm
Because a salt shaker is an affront to God and unbelievable difficult to manage.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Having said this, there is nothing wrong with salt.

All that is wrong about the War on Drugs is present in our Nanny State government's War on Salt.

They know salt is not a nutritional demon and yet they can't help themselves from attacking it.

There are tens, and more likely hundreds, of federal government employees whose livelihood depends upon casting salt as a villain. But no, that doesn't mean anything to the Progressive technocrat hero.

What fools we mortals and American citizens be.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Because a salt shaker is an affront to God and unbelievable difficult to manage.

because people are lazy and want the work of seasoning done by the creator...as Campbell's soups found out after appeasing the salt NAZI's. Sales went down and the plan was tossed into the scrap heap.

Markets are a bitch to those who want to dictate how the rest of us live, which is why they resort to government efforts to run over the free markets.
0 Replies