what they can/could do they have not done

WBYeats

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 12:53 am
A line: what they can/could/could have do(ne) they have not done.

What verb should be used?

The second part of the sentence has used the present perfect tense, so I think CAN is OK, but on second thought it seems the sentence is related to a past thing, so it seems COULD shoudl be used, but at the same time I am in two minds about using COULD HAVE DONE STH, could you help me?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,760 • Replies: 21
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 01:37 am
@WBYeats,
They could have, but did not.
WBYeats

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 06:05 pm
@roger,
Thanks.

But the thing they were able to do or it was possible for them to do still has the possibility to get done. Then how should I change the sentence?
roger

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 06:15 pm
@WBYeats,
If I'm understanding your question, say "They could have done sth."
WBYeats

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 08:38 am
@roger,
Thanks.

So do you think it's impossible to say

They could have done sth but they have not.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:22 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

Thanks.

They could do something, but haven't yet.
WBYeats

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:42 pm
@InfraBlue,
Thank you.

According to your example, can I say?:

What might happen has happened
roger

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:53 pm
@WBYeats,
It's not clear what you mean.

What might have happened has happened. or

What might happen, will happen.

Use whichever suits your meaning.
Kedirech1

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 11:22 am
@roger,
Opening a second store is something they could do, but have not.

Here you are showing that they have the capability, but up to the present they have not acted on their capability.

Holding weekly competitions is something they could do, but don't.

You can use something like this if what they are doing/not doing is less of a single action and more of an ongoing action.

Nice is something he could be, but isn't.

Or you can do something similar with a state of being.

All of these are highlighting the difference between the capability and the action. In some cases though it may be more effective to simple state that they have yet to do something, and let the reader infer that they had the capability.
roger

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 11:28 am
@Kedirech1,
Well written, Kedirech1. Maybe you'll stick around for awhile?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 01:34 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
A line:

what they can/could/could have do(ne) they have not done.

What verb should be used?

Use whichever expresses the nuance you want, WB.

what they can do they have not done.

what they could do they have not done.

what they could have done they have not done.

More on this later.

Quote:
The second part of the sentence has used the present perfect tense, so I think CAN is OK, but on second thought it seems the sentence is related to a past thing, so it seems COULD should be used,

Why do you think that COULD should be used instead of CAN, WB?

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 May, 2013 03:16 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
WBYeats wrote:

Thanks.

InfraBlue replied:
Quote:
They could do something, but haven't yet.

Quote:
According to your example, can I say?:

What might happen has happened

Yes, you can/could/might say that, WB, but each would hold their own nuance.

'might' and 'could' do sometimes hold very similar meanings but in the usual sense that they are used they hold different meanings. 'could' means 'something is possible' while 'might' means that "there's a miniscule to small chance something will/can/could happen".

So while What might happen has happened is possible, a more likely occurrence would be What could happen has happened.

A 'might' might/could see use in, say,

Of those things that might happen, one [of them] has happened.

The difference is:

'could' = Of those things that are within the realm of possibility, ...

'might' = Of those things that are within the range of possibility described by 'might', ...
WBYeats

Reply Tue 21 May, 2013 09:40 am
@JTT,
Thanks. Your answers are really good, and since you are so good a teacher, I hope you don't mind me asking many questions about English!

But step by step - you say I can say 'What could happen has happened'; this is something I didn't expect, because the present perfect tense (HAS HAPPENED etc) has an important function of describing a past thing with a relevant present result; in other words, the thing happened in the past, at least in my example. But what I learnt is, when we want to say 'it was possible to do sth', we have to say COULD HAVE DONE STH etc, but not COULD DO STH etc.; did I learn the wrong thing?
WBYeats

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 07:44 pm
Apart from the above question, there's another one I can't find a satisfactory answer to.

This is what I learnt: In a discussion, when speaker A talks very fast or something difficult to understand, we would only say, I COULDN'T FOLLOW, never CAN'T.

Is it because when we utter these words about not being able to follow, the act of being unable is a past thing? (So that we have to use the so-called past tense of CAN'T - COULDN'T?
JTT

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 10:20 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
But step by step - you say I can say 'What could happen has happened'; this is something I didn't expect, because the present perfect tense (HAS HAPPENED etc) has an important function of describing a past thing with a relevant present result; in other words, the thing happened in the past, at least in my example.

What could happen has happened'; = One of those things out of all the things that are possible to happen in all of existence or limited to a particular situation, has happened.

Quote:
But what I learnt is, when we want to say 'it was possible to do sth', we have to say COULD HAVE DONE STH etc, but not COULD DO STH etc.; did I learn the wrong thing?

No, you've got that right, WB. To describe a particular action in the past, we use can't use COULD DO STH. We have to use COULD HAVE DONE STH .

A: Where did John go?

B1: *He could go to the store.*

[*---* denotes ungrammatical for the situation.]

B2: He could have gone to the store.

Of course there are other possibilities, each holding their own special modal meaning.

B3: He might/may/must have gone/probably went to the store.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 10:37 pm
@WBYeats,
Quote:
This is what I learnt: In a discussion, when speaker A talks very fast or says something difficult to understand, we would only say, I COULDN'T FOLLOW, never CAN'T.

That's not true, WB. CAN'T is a definite possibility although COULDN'T is much softer/more deferential/more polite so it is possible/it could be that your teachers guided you towards the more polite option.

Quote:
Is it because when we utter these words about not being able to follow, the act of being unable is a past thing? (So that we have to use the so-called past tense of CAN'T - COULDN'T?

No, that's not at all true. As noted, CAN'T is a possibility. We can even use CAN'T in the past to state a strong denial.

CAN'T HAVE DONE STH

We can also use WILL;

WILL HAVE DONE STH

WBYeats

Reply Thu 23 May, 2013 11:12 pm
Oh...I see....

Your answer has shed a lot of light; excellent!
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 01:48 am
@JTT,
Quote: CAN'T is a possibility

Now, say, I am the owner of a shop and am going to hold a lucky draw, can I say?:

With so many prizes, the majority of the participants CAN win.

I know we can use MAY/MIGHT/COULD, but I am not sure whether CAN is OK....
JTT

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 10:17 am
@WBYeats,
First, WB, read Post: # 5,309,168,

http://able2know.org/topic/212972-1

It's the fifth post down from the start of the page.

WBYeats

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:52 pm
@JTT,
Thank you~

According to the one time situation reason, in my example above, CAN is not possible, am I correct? (I'll try to finish that thread, as it's quite long, but I have certainly learnt a lot from it.