So tell me about linkedin.

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 06:22 pm
I get a fair number of old friends who have signed up to linkedin asking me to connect.
I don't happen to be in business now and I am not going to hire them either, no matter how much I still like them, and their work.

Does this all have a social aspect or is it primarily/or only business oriented?

Am I rude to not answer? I do like these people.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,676 • Replies: 17
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 06:59 pm
Well, I signed up for one request, dammit.

And I like the people who suddenly showed up. I skipped two, re checks, but they are legitimate.
I'll guess I'll add that some are colleagues, and/or I could contribute opinions - I'm glad to talk re pros and cons on various matters.

Criminy.

But I don't even know if people talk on LinkedIn.

I can also be quiet.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:25 pm
@ossobuco,
To explain, saying I'm not in business - I don't presently own or have a gallery or sell from a website, but my paintings are for sale and I've started again. I'm not practicing landscape architecture in my new area.
I've no idea what is normal for linkedin folk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:40 pm
Oh, ****, now I've asked many people to join me.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:41 pm
@ossobuco,
LinkedIn is primarily business oriented. It was originally conceived as a way for people to "network" with their friends for finding job opportunities. And it still works very well for that purpose. But it can also function as a Family/Friends network as well, it just wasn't designed with that in mind.

Facebook on the other hand evolved as a Family/Friends network, but then as people started creating "pages" to represent their entrepreneurial endeavors (businesses), Facebook began to morph into a marketing medium for businesses (and that's when it took off).

Now for both of these services (and for many others who want to emulate them) the mere value of containing "the network" of members is producing business revenue, so the nature of these services are changing to exploit those new markets.

Bottom line: If you just want to be chatty with someone and talk about personal things, I would use FaceBook. If you want to use your business associates as friends to help you find a new job, then I would use LinkedIn. And if you have a small business or a hobby that you want to market, then I would create a "page" on FaceBook.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:42 pm
What does Add To Network Mean?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Adding to "network" on either service (LinkedIn or FaceBook) basically means that you want to give another individual certain additional privileges which allow them to interact with your profile more deeply (than people who are not in your network).

For example, people who are in your network will probably be able to see your personal contact information (like Email address and Phone Numbers), while people who are not in your network will not see that information. There are many layers of more selective control and security on both sites, but that's the gist of it.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:51 pm
@rosborne979,
Thanks, as this is out of my league. Facebook bothers me for a clump of reasons, some probably ill construed, but.. still.

I don't want a new job, I'm in my early seventies. I'm still connected to colleagues, not all of them my same age.

I wouldn't be chatty about personal things on this new site, no.

I'm trying to ferret out what is expected from the website, since I haven't read up.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
If neither of those two mediums work for you, then ask your friends to join you on A2K rather than joining them on a medium you probably won't use.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 08:01 pm
@rosborne979,
thanks for that
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 08:03 pm
@rosborne979,
I didn't say this doesn't work for me, as I don't understand it yet. I might like it.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 May, 2013 10:32 pm
@ossobuco,
So suddenly I have a zillion people responding to me - haven't looked yet at the responses.

Now I get it, it's related to my yahoo compilation of addresses. Nice!
In a few instances that could be funny.

I do care about a goodly number of these people but I'm not happy about jerking them to notice me. Much less the multiple times that seem typical when a person joins.

How do I shut this off?
I signed up to answer one person, and filled out some (I thought) minimal info.
And now I'll get into apologizing to people who never (correctly) expected to see an ad from me.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:28 pm
@ossobuco,
So now I have a hundred plus responses galloping along, holy ****, and I am enjoying answering, one at a time.
I'm ambivalent. Maybe I'll leave myself as linked.

Is there some way to get linkedin to not keep nattering at people?
I've wondered about this before, as in can't it shut up? But maybe not.

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 May, 2013 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,

i don't think you can stop it from doing that.

i play with linkedin when work is slow.
i've been able to find some old friends that don't seem to be on facebook...
0 Replies

snj

Reply Mon 1 Jul, 2013 12:43 am
@ossobuco,
it is a site where employees can chat with employers for a job
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 10:47 am
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr02/25/8/enhanced-buzz-20290-1382702584-0.jpg

13 Reasons Why LinkedIn Is Simply The Worst
http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/13-reasons-why-linkedin-is-simply-the-worst
ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 10:53 am
@tsarstepan,
I'll check that out ; )
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2013 11:54 am
@tsarstepan,

struth...
0 Replies