How do I rank entries with given average grade and different number of occurrences?

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 02:53 pm
Hello!
If I have a set of entries (e.g. students), I also have their average arithmetic grade (1 to 5) and number of occurrences. I need to rank the entries from top to bottom, but the problem I get is:
Entry X has average grade of 5 out of 5, but only 1 occurrence (so, it was only 1 5). Entry Y has average grade of 4.68 and 26 occurrences.

What parameter or coefficient should I add to make ranking more fair? Is is weighted average mean? Please advise! Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 803 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 05:20 pm
@usherdiez,
Probably the easiest way is to require a certain number of entries in order to get a full average. If you said the average was provisional until five grade were scored, you could just use the average.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:22 pm
@usherdiez,
Professional sports use engineer's suggestion for things like quarterback rankings. The idea is you can't come off the bench for one game, have the game of a lifetime, and be considered the top quarterback in the league. So, there's precedent for that approach.

On the other hand, assuming you're a teacher with a real-world ranking problem, you might ask yourself what behavior you're trying to encourage and come up with a ranking system that rewards that behavior. In your example, it would appear that X is a (smart?) slacker who needs to complete more assignments. One alternate approach would be to rank by grade points (total, not average). In this example, X has 5 and Y has about 121 or 122. Of course, this would rank X alongside Z who completed 5 assignments and scored 1 on each of them.

Another approach would be to discount average grades based on how much of the expected work has been completed. For instance, if X should have completed 3 assignments by now, he gets a score of 1/3 * 5 = 1.667. If Y should have completed 30 assignments by now, he gets a score of 26/30 * 4.68 = 4.056. With this approach, if somebody gets ahead of expectations, he could be rewarded with a score above 5. For example, if Y should have completed 20 assignments, his score would be 26/20 * 4.68 = 6.084
0 Replies