Manhunt Going On In Watertown, Massachusetts Right Now

JPB

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 11:46 pm
"Something must have changed in his life and it must have happened recently", according to a former wrestling team teammate. Report after report paints a picture of a kid they used to know as a one of them -- a friend, a classmate, a teammate. I'm glad they found him and I'm glad they took him alive. And, secretly, I am glad that he was the one who ran over his brother in the end. I do wonder what it was that turned him from that former person to someone who could leave a bomb-filled knapsack in a crowd of cheering fans who wanted nothing more than to cheer on their own loved ones to complete a race that few of us could complete. I hope we get a chance to hear his story.

Sleep well, Boston. It's been a week from hell and you deserve some peace.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:20 am

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/923535_10151397280653061_1784064154_n.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:27 am

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/12004_10151383890391657_2116096556_n.jpg
Ragman

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:57 am
@Region Philbis,
In addition to the professional life-savers and public safety personnel, I want to point out the contributions of civilian responders who also helped save lives. There were people in this crowd who overcame the instinct of self-preservation and helped by running towards the danger and the carnage to help wherever and however they could. For most of us, the instinct would be to run the other way. Many helped by applying a tourniquet, or helped by carrying victims and survivors to safety. The flood of emotions and chaos could have paralyzed them, but they pushed past it all.

I choose to remember these 5 days (inclusive of the capture) with a triumph over evil and cowardice and was a tribute to goodness and public bravery.

Bless them!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:02 am

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/547424_10151556149753258_35102172_n.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:09 am
I hope the rest of you will forgive us for being a bit full of ourselves today.
(Whaddya expect from a town that calls itself "The Hub"?) We like to
think of ourselves as tough and we relish hearing ourselves described that
way.

But the fact is, you didn't see anything from us here that you didn't see
from New Yorkers after September 11th and from people in many other
places that have been violently attacked. I expect we'll see more of the
same the next time this happens.

And -- sadly -- we all know it will happen again.
Ragman

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:14 am
@George,
100% agreed!

And, to that I must add:

Boston Strong
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:44 am
@George,
A Bit Embarrassing I say. Had this been in Philly, we woulda had the guys involved in a serious suicide and they woulda had big hunks of bacon in their mouths and the first three fingers of each hand cut off as a sign to others who may see an "opportunity" for later mayhem.

I think that all youve accomplished is to enlighten other wanna-bes about where your weak spots are, and youve plastered that all over the media that a really small act as this could shut down a major metro for a week.

Nobody "won" so the celebration was kinda childish IMHO

Think what the Russians would have done
BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:54 am
@farmerman,
Let see dead men can not reveal any information so getting at least one of those assholes alive is great news.

Second yes you could indeed had kept the city open for business at a far greater risk of more deaths and more people with their legs blown off however the cost in dollars seems worth it to most people if not you. Hell the cost can be compare to a bad snow storm or other weather event that happen far more often to a northern city.

This is thank god not a common happening and if it ever become one then the dollars/human lives equation will need to be review but once more given everything I think that the whole situation was handle in an almost ideal manner.
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 07:59 am
@BillRM,
WE have to say that cause thats the way it was. WAIT till the bills get tallied, then well hear from the second thought crowds.

One ofthe problems of any city's chaotic landscaping (such as Boston , New Orleans or San Francisco). Theres no real way to establish perimeters. SO we had to out man the perps.
BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 08:01 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
WAIT till the bills get tallied, then well hear from the second thought crowds.

As long as the bills are paid in dollars and not blood I am fine with it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 08:51 am
I, for one, am glad this morning. I slept about 11 hours.

Yes, the financial costs of such a manhunt are fairly high. They could have been far, far higher. And this does not even get into a body count. There are four dead. Almost 200 were injured, some truly gravely. Yet the truth is that the response did not cause most of those casualties. It all went down in a half a week. Pretty dang amazing.

I suspect a longer, slower response would have cost more bucks. In the meantime, our lives will go on. We are going to head out to lunch today, to the Stockyard, a place where there have been A2K gatherings. And it is also a place that sent sandwiches over to the investigators at Copley. We would like to thank those people.

In the next few months, and longer, we know that we will see more wheelchairs, and people struggling with crutches and canes and artificial limbs. Our transit system is already disabled-accessible and the buses already kneel. They will kneel more often now.

I vow to you that I will be patient when that happens. I vow to you that I will give up my seat, and step to the rear for the people who find that more difficult. I vow that I will hold doors and I will smile at people and wish them good morning and I will not look away.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 08:54 am
@farmerman,
Bullshit Farmerman. The good guys won this one.

We have shown them (and you) our strengths. We are a smart, open and diverse city with a strong sense of justice and community.

And we will continue to celebrate this.
McTag

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 10:25 am
@BillRM,

Quote:
I think that the whole situation was handle in an almost ideal manner.

On the contrary, it was a textbook example of how to cock everything up.

And they didn't even find the second guy, the guy they didn't kill, the one they let slip. A householder noticed a trail of blood, and followed it to his boat.

It was a very expensive and protracted shambles.
farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
Max. Ive been in wartime situations involving the types of terrorism that was demo'd in Boston on Mon. All I can say from experience is that it doesnt "Go away" once theyve figured out how you work. The "good guys" winning isnt even the issue in terrorism. Its a repeated slogging and inconveniencing of a large group of people to make a point. Killing isnt even the goal, discomfort to as many as possible is.

We will disagree mightily on this. Weve got to think like terrorists to fight
them. We sure didnt do that here. We gave other terroroists a "training film on a number of subjects like "disguises", "Tricking cameras" "detonators " "How to shut down an entire urban area" (unnecessarily) and Police tactics. Youre still basking in some light of a weeklong bit of introduction to terror. What if this would happen every few
months?

I was involved in the Biafran terror wars of the late 1970's and saw how escalation of terror was only possible when too many "hands" were shown by the target governments. Terrorists are very adaptable and we shouldnt be riunning free clinics for them.

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:07 am
That works both ways, though. Terrorists routinely tip their hands. If governmental agencies don't learn from the experiences, they need to be overhauled and a lot of dead wood thrown out on it's collective ass. Ask Mossad about that.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:10 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That works both ways, though. Terrorists routinely tip their hands. If governmental agencies don't learn from the experiences, they need to be overhauled and a lot of dead wood thrown out on it's collective ass. Ask Mossad about that.

ask Mossad also if it is wise to shut down the economy as they do their work of hunting down the terrorists!
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:12 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Killing isnt even the goal, discomfort to as many as possible is.

bleeding the economy actually... but point taken.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:16 am
@farmerman,
First of all, Farmerman, the victory we are celebrating is not a victory in the made up "War on Terror". It is a victory of us as a community being able to overcome a tragic act of violence keeping our character and values in tact as a great city.

There has been one bombing attack by two people. Calling this an "introduction to terror" as if this is likely to start happening "every few months" is a ridiculous speculation given all of the previous attacks from OK city to Atlanta where one time attacks were solved and cities went back to normal.

I am celebrating that we as a community stood together and dealt with a tragic event with dignity and pride.

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:17 am
@hawkeye10,
Don't know anything about Mossad, do ya? You're promoting a straw man. I made no comment of the worth of the operations in the Boston area.
0 Replies