Manhunt Going On In Watertown, Massachusetts Right Now

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 05:50 am
BBC news suggesting that these guys were flushed out after their images were released, but other reports of store raid gone wrong.
Civil aviation now closed for 7 mile stretch to allow helicopters in.
Blimey!
jespah

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 05:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
It's a bit of both. Things are sketchy and they are complicated.

The 2 brothers robbed a 7-11 near MIT and it turned into a shootout. an MIT cop was killed; a transit officer is in critical condition. The brothers then carjacked a Mercedes SUV. Older brother was shot and killed - something about explosives on him; it's unclear. Younger brother is somewhere in Watertown. A woman was taken out of a nearby home and cuffed. I assume they are going door to door and it is the next town over from us.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:01 am
Actually, I'm surprised that Bostonians are currently able to use mobiles or have access to the internet, as that was all shut down in London for a while on 7/7, to prevent any terrorist communications in the area.
I thought that electronic shutdown was par for the course in such matters. Maybe it's just the Uk?
News now seeming to confirm a pretty strong Chechen separatist reason.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:03 am
@Lordyaswas,
The "mobiles" are shut down. People in the U.S. generally call them cell phones, because before the invention of cells for telephone use, there were telephones which could be used in automobiles, as well as wireless phones in use in homes. People tended to refer to them as mobiles. I believe either Jess or RP mentioned that the cells were shut down early in the thread.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:04 am
@jespah,
And my mother's birthplace.. also where she lived her first twenty years, on Mt. Auburn (avenue? street). Not important, just startling to me.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:08 am
Stay safe, jespah and Region!
My daughter and son, whom you met in Somerville, live in Cambridge.
They are staying indoors.
I'm sitting here at work going crazy.
engineer

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:12 am
I wonder if the photo release yesterday spooked the suspects into action. Robbing a 7-11 is not a smart way to stay below the radar. It seems like they decided to run for it and weren't prepared.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:14 am
@engineer,
Good point. I'll bet they thought they were pretty slick in the immediate aftermath of the bombs. They would have thought much differently after they saw their mugs pasted across the internet.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:18 am
@engineer,
Could be that were they flushed out by then (identified by neighbours etc) and the raid was part of their panic driven escape?

American lady now on Tv saying the whole of Boston now locked down!

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:21 am
A former work colleague moved to Watertown with her husband and toddler a couple of years ago. They chose Watertown because of the large Armenian Christian presence there. She is due to deliver her second child imminently.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:25 am
@George,
George wrote:

Stay safe, jespah and Region!
My daughter and son, whom you met in Somerville, live in Cambridge.
They are staying indoors.
I'm sitting here at work going crazy.

I hope all of you in that area are staying safe!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:28 am
Yep, the whole of Boston, according to the Beeb.
Maybe we won't see much from jespah or region for a while, until things pan out.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:28 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Good point. I'll bet they thought they were pretty slick in the immediate aftermath of the bombs. They would have thought much differently after they saw their mugs pasted across the internet.

Robbing a 7/11 is so dumb my bet is that whoever their handlers happen to be cut them loose after the bombings.

That would explain a well design attacked and then some very stupid behaviors afterward.

They came into the US as very young men so someone groom them for this task at least in my opinion.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:41 am
@BillRM,
Live feeds now show police about to go into what is assumed to be the suspects house in the Cambridge area.
I take my hat off to the guy who kicks that door in, given the bomb factor.
engineer

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:45 am
@BillRM,
I did hear that the FBI is also looking for a third man connected to the other two.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:46 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
I take my hat off to the guy who kicks that door in, given the bomb factor.

Yes all law enforcement at all level of government in the area are earning their paid and then some.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:49 am
@George,
dear SoccerGeorge, thinking of your kids and everyone else's kids and loved ones in the area
jespah

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:51 am
Law enforcement has been astounding. They did not mess around.

A former work colleague is a block away. He says a half hour ago, armed guys in fatigues ran past his home.

Everything is shut down here. Even all cab service has been shut down. We are all being told to stay locked in. I know a woman was brought out on Willow Street, and cuffed. I am assuming she is somehow related to all of it.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 06:56 am
@jespah,
Jespah, the feed I'm watching re my previous post on this thread, shows a green "Willow" sign right by the house in question!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2013 07:11 am
@George,

my office has always taken pride in being open for business 24/7, regardless of hurricanes, floods, blizzards, ect.

as of 8:00am, they are in "lockdown" mode until further notice...