Manhunt Going On In Watertown, Massachusetts Right Now

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:11 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Why why why oh why?

a relentless assault on traditionally masculine values, which stared with the Beat Generation. the feminists really piled on in the 1980's and after.
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
a relentless assault on traditionally masculine values, which stared with the Beat Generation. the feminists really piled on in the 1980's and after.

Odd??

What would have caused all the US war crimes and terrorism that has been going since, at the least, the end of the 19th century?
jespah

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:18 pm
I will not be chased off my own topic.

I invite the folks who want to politicize this stuff to make their own topics, and not leech off mine. Perhaps they will get readers. Maybe they won't. That is not my concern.

This topic was about the manhunt. The manhunt has concluded. Fortunately, it was quick and there weren't more people hurt.

It is a beautiful day here. I am not hiding behind every tree. I hope everyone has a great weekend, and can see the beauty and positivity in the world. I have every intention of doing so, and I invite you to join me.
contrex

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:19 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
What would have caused all the US war crimes and terrorism that has been going since, at the least, the end of the 19th century?

All caused by 1970s feminist ball-breakers. Especially Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:27 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
This topic was about the manhunt. The manhunt has concluded

now it is time for the after action reports, so that we might do a better job the next time we are faced with this situation.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:30 pm
@jespah,
Quote:
I invite the folks who want to politicize this stuff to make their own topics,

You think this isn't political, Jespah?

Quote:

There's no reason for you to be.

Except, "The manhunt has concluded." Now for the fallout.

Which still doesn't in any fashion mean that you need leave the thread.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 02:56 pm
To all who have taken the time to inform us Bostonians that we have been
defeated by the terrorists, thank you. That got by us. Oops. We'll do our
best to look humiliated for you.

Nah.

Screw you.
George

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:00 pm
@jespah,
Hi jespah. Nice day in the Stoneham too.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:04 pm
@George,
I especially liked the play by play coming from Hawaii, then Washington, then four or five other US locations.

I think there's a new reality show in there somewhere.
Miller

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:29 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I invite the folks who want to politicize this stuff to make their own topics, and not leech off mine. Perhaps they will get readers. Maybe they won't. That is not my concern.

This topic was about the manhunt. The manhunt has concluded. Fortunately, it was quick and there weren't more people hurt.

It is a beautiful day here. I am not hiding behind every tree. I hope everyone has a great weekend, and can see the beauty and positivity in the world. I have every intention of doing so, and I invite you to join me.

Yes, it is a beautiful day and I have enjoyed every minute of it. The last 2 days and nights have been blood shed and bullets and even steamers full of nails and Lord knows what else thrown at the Police and even bystanders.

Where I live, I easily could hear the bullets. At first it sounded like fire crackers...POP-POP-POP. And, this was close to 12 am.

No mail delivery and few if any people out on the street in most of the towns surrounding Watertown. No public transportation and even the commuter rail was shut down. I heard that Amtrak service between Boston and NY was also shut down.

Some residents of Watertown even had flying bullets pass through their walls.

For those of us who've never been in a war zone, the whole situation over the past several days was terrifying. My Poodle was so scared, he vomited or tried to vomit every time the POP-POP-POP took place.

For sure, law-in-forcement did an excellent job under very trying conditions.

I'm glad the whole nightmare is finally over.

JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:34 pm
@Miller,
Considering just what the people of Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Iraq, Afghanistan, Nicaragua, ... have been put thru by your national governments, Miller, your complaints sound terribly hollow.
George

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 03:35 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
. . . I think there's a new reality show in there somewhere.
Good grief, I hope not!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 05:07 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Considering just what the people of Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Iraq, Afghanistan, Nicaragua, ... have been put thru by your national governments, Miller, your complaints sound terribly hollow.

Scary is scary. Yes it is worse in the places you name -no matter who put who through what....but regardless - when you are that close to a bad situation it is understandably scary. There is always something worse. But thankfully Miller made it through as did our other friends at A2K.

It breaks my heart for the younger fellow. I feel his brother got him in a bad mess. I wish he could have been stronger and found a way to avoid all of this and keep his brother from causing such heartache.

But still...I am so glad it is over. I pray that the folks that were hurt and all involved find strength and fortitude to overcome this trajedy. I hope that it makes us wiser and better.
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 06:53 pm
@mismi,
Quote:
Scary is scary. Yes it is worse in the places you name -no matter who put who through what....but regardless -

That's the crucial point, Mismi. The fact that we all know who put who thru what but won't speak about it means that these things can't do anything but continue. Why, when you supposedly are the people who run the government, you let the government run you?

Quote:
when you are that close to a bad situation it is understandably scary. There is always something worse. But thankfully Miller made it through as did our other friends at A2K.

You've shown some much needed compassion in this post but sadly, these are few and far between. Again, it all boils down to that central issue - why do you all sit back and let your governments slaughter innocents? Can this possibly be "government by the people"? Is this "government for the people?"

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:00 pm
@mismi,
I wouldn't shed any tears for the younger brother. He caused as much heartache as his brother did. When he placed his backpack on the ground, he knew full well what the result was soon to be.

Your's is by no means the lone expression of sentiment for the younger brother and it raises the interesting question of why people somehow feel the need to find a sympathetic figure in events like this.

Apparently the appearence of almost childish innocence found in the photos of his face; plastered all over TV, is able to invoke an instinctual response in some people.

I feel quite sure that if we had a running film of his face over the course of this heinous crime we would find images that revealed the sickness inside him that is often referred to as evil.

To the extent anyone can be considered evil, he and his brother fit the bill. They actively planned to kill and maim as many truly innocent people as they could. They walked among their potential victims and saw them enjoying life and family and had no compelling second thoughts about destroying them. In fact, if you examine some of the stills from the video of the brothers you will detect a smirk on the face of the younger brother, as if he was enjoying the thought of the power he had over the people on the street.

Any sympathy for the younger brother is totally misplaced. How much strength is required to not participate in murder and maiming?

I suppose the notion that the dark and twisted older brother somehow bent his younger sibling to his evil will helps people deal with the fact that someone who can look like a choir boy and be considered a "normal, good guy" by people who have known him for years can be a monster.

No doubt his defense team will try and paint exactly the picture you've chosen to see: that of a helpless, hero worshipping boy, turned to the dark side by the swarthier older brother who actually looks like someone who might commit murder. I hope and doubt that a jury of his peers will buy such a ploy.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:41 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I would't begin to parse the mind of either brother, from here. I think people who notice a difference are correct, but obviously both were troubled. One found recourse, I take it, that another was just beginning to connect to, but signed on to for his own reasons, maybe to connect with big brother. Fool then, if so, but a kind of tragedy walking - at large.

The thing is, these too are our children, our schoolmates. Most of us, unless native americans (and even then, travelers), have been new here. We just think we're old at it.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2013 11:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I wouldn't shed any tears for the younger brother.

i feel sorry for us, we who live under the thumb of such an unjust government

Why Should I Care That No One’s Reading Dzhokhar Tsarnaev His Miranda Rights?

When the law gets bent out of shape for him, it’s easier to bend out of shape for the rest of us.

By Emily Bazelon

Quote:
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will not hear his Miranda rights before the FBI questions him Friday night. He will have to remember on his own that he has a right to a lawyer, and that anything he says can be used against him in court, because the government won’t tell him. This is an extension of a rule the Justice Department wrote for the FBI—without the oversight of any court—called the “public safety exception.”

There is one specific circumstance in which it makes sense to hold off on Miranda. It’s exactly what the name of the exception suggests. The police can interrogate a suspect without offering him the benefit of Miranda if he could have information that’s of urgent concern for public safety. That may or may not be the case with Tsarnaev. The problem is that Attorney General Eric Holder has stretched the law beyond that scenario. And that should trouble anyone who worries about the police railroading suspects, which can end in false confessions. No matter how unsympathetic accused terrorists are, the precedents the government sets for them matter outside the easy context of questioning them. When the law gets bent out of shape for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, it’s easier to bend out of shape for the rest of us.

Here’s the legal history. In the 1984 case New York v. Quarles, the Supreme Court carved out the public safety exception for a man suspected of rape. The victim said her assailant had a gun, and he was wearing an empty holster. So the police asked him where the gun was before reading him his Miranda rights. That exception was allowable, the court said, because of the immediate threat that the gun posed.

Fine. Good, even—that gun could have put other people in danger. Things start to get murkier in 2002, after the FBI bobbled the interrogation of Zacarias Moussaoui, the 20th 9/11 hijacker—the one who didn’t get on the plane—former FBI special agent Coleen Rowley wrote a memo pleading that "if prevention rather than prosecution is to be our new main goal, (an objective I totally agree with), we need more guidance on when we can apply the Quarles 'public safety' exception to Miranda's 5th Amendment requirements." For a while, nothing much happened.

Then the Christmas Day bomber, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, was apprehended in December 2009, before he could blow up a plane bound for Detroit. The FBI invoked the public safety exception and interrogated. When the agents stopped questioning Abdulmutallab after 50 minutes and Mirandized him—after getting what they said was valuable information— Abdulmutallab asked for a lawyer and stopped talking. Republicans in Congress denounced the Obama administration for going soft.

Next came Faisal Shahzad, caught for attempting to bomb Times Square in May 2010. He was interrogated without Miranda warnings via the public safety exception, and again, the FBI said it got useful information. This time, when the suspect was read his rights, he kept talking. But that didn’t stop Sen. John McCain and then Sen. Christopher Bond from railing against Miranda. "We've got to be far less interested in protecting the privacy rights of these terrorists than in collecting information that may lead us to details of broader schemes to carry out attacks in the United States," Bond said. "When we detain terrorism suspects, our top priority should be finding out what intelligence they have that could prevent future attacks and save American lives," McCain said. "Our priority should not be telling them they have a right to remain silent."

Holder started talking about a bill to broadly expand the exception to Miranda a few months later. Nothing came of that idea, but in October of 2010, Holder’s Justice Department took it upon itself to widen the exception to Miranda beyond the Supreme Court’s 1984 ruling. “Agents should ask any and all questions that are reasonably prompted by an immediate concern for the safety of the public or the arresting agents,” stated a DoJ memo to the FBI that wasn’t disclosed at the time. Again, fine and good. But the memo continues, “there may be exceptional cases in which, although all relevant public safety questions have been asked, agents nonetheless conclude that continued unwarned interrogation is necessary to collect valuable and timely intelligence not related to any immediate threat, and that the government's interest in obtaining this intelligence outweighs the disadvantages of proceeding with unwarned interrogation.”

Who gets to make this determination? The FBI, in consultation with DoJ, if possible. In other words, the police and the prosecutors, with no one to check their power.

The New York Times published the Justice Department’s memo in March 2011. The Supreme Court has yet to consider this hole the Obama administration has torn in Miranda. In fact, no court has, as far as I can tell.

And so the FBI will surely ask 19-year-old Tsarnaev anything it sees fit. Not just what law enforcement needs to know to prevent a terrorist threat and keep the public safe but anything else it deemed related to “valuable and timely intelligence.” Couldn’t that be just about anything about Tsarnaev’s life, or his family, given that his alleged accomplice was his older brother (killed in a shootout with police)? There won’t be a public uproar. Whatever the FBI learns will be secret: We won’t know how far the interrogation went. And besides, no one is crying over the rights of the young man who is accused of killing innocent people, helping his brother set off bombs that were loaded to maim, and terrorizing Boston Thursday night and Friday. But the next time you read about an abusive interrogation, or a wrongful conviction that resulted from a false confession, think about why we have Miranda in the first place. It’s to stop law enforcement authorities from committing abuses. Because when they can make their own rules, sometime, somewhere, they inevitably will.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/04/dzhokhar_tsarnaev_and_miranda_rights_the_public_safety_exception_and_terrorism.html
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 01:19 am
@hawkeye10,
Its certainly unfortunate for some writers who dont understand that when we interpret the Constitution for one Amendment (say the second) we are also allowed to interpret the Constitution's other amendments (say the 5th).
I guess we will havebto have it one way for all the amendments.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:33 am

The FBI knew this guy. They had interviewed him. They had a file on him. His photo was on public media before too long. But...nada.
So how did this go so wrong?

They only got him because the brothers bungled a robbery, and shot a cop. He died of course, although it would have been better to keep him alive.
Then one escaped, in an automobile, despite the squad cars and armoured vehicles and helicopters abounding. And hundreds of over-armed law enforcement officers, from organisations too numerous to list here. They shut down a whole city, God knows why.

But they only found the survivor because a curious householder followed a trail of blood.

So far, so embarrassing. But the self-congratulation of the participants on top of all that?
Setanta

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:50 am
Armchair generals are so pathetic. All the "squad cars and armoured vehicles and helicopters abounding" only came out after the officer from MIT was shot. I find your allegations about the FBI suspect, but whether or not that is true, in the United States, the police don't get to haunt the steps of people just because they know about them.

Do you really get a kick out of making snide remarks about the people here? That's sad.