"Suffuse with bright light"

Piffka

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:43 am
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought the last letter had to be an "e" from proposEd.

LIMN is in my dictionary and is said to be an archaic verb meaning "paint." Since suffuse is said of colour or moisture, and means to cover from without or within... it seems like a great match... if the word is supposed to end in "N."

This is very interesting and I think that others on a2k would like to hear more about this puzzle and its entries. It is a contest, I take it? Do you get prize money or just glory?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 01:16 pm
[Middle English limnen, to illuminate (a manuscript), probably alteration (influenced by limnour, illustrator), of luminen from Old French luminer, from Latin lminre, to illuminate, adorn, from lmen, lmin-, light.
Well
EXXXXXXXCUUUUUUSE ME
I think I goofed

Doesn't seem to fit the puzzle...my apologies Piff..

Carry on.
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 12:47 am
Gee, thanks for all the input, everyone.

To crossword fanatic, the correct answer to that troublesome clue is LIMN and 250 down should be PROPOUND and not 'proposed'. (If anyone wants any help with this Stinker, or any of the prize puzzles, I won't be posting my entry until May 6 (closes May 13 for Au/NZ).

canada, 131 across is CISSING. My Collins English dictionary (which I won from Lovatts Smile) says: "the appearance of pinholes, craters, etc., in paintwork due to poor adhesion of the paint to the surface".

Now, is anyone any good with cryptics?? In that same issue of Colossus, clue 29 down for the cryptic on p10 is, "Hedged with the right certificates?". ? U ? ? I ? ? E ? I can't decide between QUALIFIED and FURNISHED but can't see where the 'hedged' fits into either.

Sue
(from Essex)
0 Replies

crossword fanatic

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 05:43 am
Hi Sue,
I'm stuck on that one too! I also wondered whether the answer could be JUSTIFIED but that doesn't seem to make sense with "hedged" either!
Also, I'm a little baffled on 59 down. Could it be Thumbs Up? And, last but not least, 69 across which I somehow think of Market Shops? Am I completely baffled??
Thanks for the answer to the poor paint adhesion (CISSING). Now that's the stinker finished!
Pam
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 06:15 am
Hi Pam,

Lovatts puzzles sure do get around, don't they? I'm supposing you've got the UK edition of Colossus with the entries due by Apr 22, right?

Yes, 59d is 'thumbs up' but 69a is NOT 'market shops' but MARKET SHARE.

"Promotes Alice's March one to get some sales(6,5)". It's worked out like this:
Promotes = MARKETS
Alice's March one = The March HARE in Alice in Wonderland.
Get some sales = Get/have a MARKET SHARE in something.

If you've got 'shops' then what have you got for the intersecting 64d? "Open up the French tour"
'Open up' is the definition
"the French" = the French word for 'the' - LE
Another word for 'tour' = TRIP
Open up = LET RIP

I can't see 29d being 'justified' as it doesn't seem to me to have any connection with certificates OR hedged. The 3 (or more?) meanings of 'hedged' and the word 'right' being there adds to the confusion. That '?' doesn't help, either! Smile Does 'right' mean 'correct' or the letter 'R', or the 'right part' (second half) of certificates?

Was glad to help with your cissing! Doesn't it feel GREAT to finish a Stinker? Very Happy

Sue
0 Replies

canada

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 07:06 am
Shekeda: Thanks for you help CISSING. I am pretty sure the answers is QUALIFIED hence you have certificates. Good Luck.

Debbie/Dorset
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 10:42 am
Debbie,

Thanks. I'll probably go with Qualified in the end - but I've got almost a month to decide! Very Happy

Sue
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 11:50 am
Panzade, you and Canada were right! And Limn is a lovely word.

I hope all of you win! Getting a dictionary seems like a perfectly appropriate prize, Sue. Very helpful!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 04:52 am
canada wrote:
Shekeda: Thanks for you help CISSING. I am pretty sure the answers is QUALIFIED hence you have certificates. Good Luck.

Debbie/Dorset

Hedged in this case means 'qualified' as in hedging your bets.
I wrote lots of the Collins English Dictionary, but I can't always do crosswords! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 05:34 am
Clary wrote:
Hedged in this case means 'qualified' as in hedging your bets.
I wrote lots of the Collins English Dictionary, but I can't always do crosswords! Rolling Eyes

Thanks Clary Smile I didn't think of 'qualified' in the 'hedging your bets' sense. Of course that's right!

Sometimes, when looking through dictionaries I often think about how I wouldn't particularly like the job of putting one together! I guess it's all that responsibility of getting things right - and not missing out anything! I suppose that's why they're updated so often. Wish they'd update the crossword dictionary by Edy Schafer. Mine's falling apart - and there are often words/references I expect to find that aren't in there.

The two first prizes for the Stinker (in Aust) are leather overnight bags. The second lot of runner-up prizes are 'one of 3 book packs'. I just had a look in the back of the mag. There are 2 books, one about Nostradamus and the other is '100 Simple Secrets of Healthy People'. Worth, it says, $A81.95 between them.

Can always sell them on eBay if I win Very Happy

(My cursor's 'disappeared' in this text box - don't you hate that?) Smile

Sue
0 Replies

ftlocks

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:01 am
Thanks people, I have been struggling with li?e in the stinker
Also for the crypic , yes qualified sound right

Many thanks - I don't always get the stinker out. Ususally one word gets me
0 Replies

ftlocks

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:53 am