Any Mistakes in the Sentences Below?

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:31 pm
Hi, guys. I'm so sorry to bother you guys again. I'd like to sound you out about some sentences I have written lately. Could you help me pin down any mistakes in terms of grammar and usage in some sentences below? Actually, I wrote it last night on a whim, having read some scathing replies and derisive remarks made by one lady working for a website. A chap had slated that website for not measuring up to some standards and simply cribbing articles from other websites.. I would be grateful if you could help me pinpoint any mistakes or give me some suggestions in terms of English writing. Thanks.

Best regards.

The sentences: "I can't suss out why would you take the trouble to scoff at someone for asking a question as one of the avowed employees of this website , if I may say so. He's just asking a question and hoping someone could help him figure it out. What's wrong with that? Do we have to sidle up to people working for this website and extol this website for turning out top-shelf, thought-provoking articles? Or worst of all, you are just not allowed to critique this website on the grounds that this is your turf? I'd say it would be stupid for someone like you to snipe at and sneer at an online visitor like this. And your thinly-veiled derision and outburst are not grist to the mill for this website or other websites striving to stand out; it would only turn away visitors and jeopardize your own reputation. Okay, that's exaggerated. But I just can't be doing with your tone smacking of smugness or self-righteousness

At the same time, I don't find anything wrong with your statement apropos of cut and paste, in that only cash-rich mainstream websites have what it takes to produce its own original content and hire high-net-worth individuals and sought-after academics to write for such websites.

To my mind, this website is just a place where foreign expats and Chinese mingle with each other and compare notes about their life in China; besides, you can find some news featuring China on this website as well as some glossy pictures if not fancy ads featuring dishy Chinese models and delectable food.

Are you hacked-off after hearing this? Are you going to inveigh against or remonstrate against me for making such taunts against your website like you did to that lad? Don't get worked up. I'm not bashing you and your website at all, I'm just offering some suggestions to you if your website fancies becoming one of the best websites online.

1: Never rib readers or punters as a member of this website even they are people making some dreadful comments like me.

2: Although you are entitled to make a case for the virtues of cut and paste, you should be mindful of the fact that no one would respect copycatting, regardless it's legitimate or not.

3: Why don't you ask some higher-caliber foreign expats or intellectuals living in China to craft human interest stories about their life in that city or encounters with local inhabitants ? Indeed, you have to spring it.

4: If you think that sounds costly, then you could at least hire a few local Chinese journalists to write original articles for you, say, long feature stories featuring local culture, residents, tourist hot spots, luminaries and even pop acts. Who would bother logging on to this website if they care to read China Daily or other English publications?

5: Everything just comes down to one word if you ask me, as that folk pointed it out: originality. You know a website called Business Insider? It started out as an obscure news-gathering website overseen by a former financier; it's becoming one of the much-liked websites for grandees and wall street bright minds. The secret sauce? This website has morphed into an original content provider and netizens are just impressed by the distinctiveness and eruditeness of its coverage of financial markets, becoming a spotlight in public discourse.

That said, I don't think that's the aim of this website: it's just a place where people make new friends and get to know Chinese culture."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 791 • Replies: 1
No top replies

robertgreate

Reply Mon 15 Apr, 2013 09:13 pm
@robertgreate,
Hi, guys, I'm told I can't edit this post anymore. I forgot asking another question in the former post. Are the sentences poorly written? I tried that Grammaly again just now, and it says it's naff. Is that so? I really need some suggestions. Thanks for your attention.
0 Replies