How Old Are My Fellow A2K Members?

Jer

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 11:26 am
CDK,

I actually had beer last night after I played hockey...but when I see the doc in a couple of hours I'm sure he's going to tell me not to drink while I'm taking the antibiotics I expect he'll prescribe...

Hope you're feeling better.
0 Replies

Aimo-FIN

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:11 pm
Thank you Smile

Well... it is pretty boring at times, right now a lot of things to do at school. Projects, exams etc
In the freetime I mostly hang on my pc, chat on messenger, and go outside. I also collect flags and my room is full of them Very Happy

You mean limppu? I just baked some Karelian/Russian bread yesterday, it was pretty good. It had sauerkraut inside Smile
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:50 pm
After 2 and less than a half, years, I will be

70!!!

(it just sounds more important than 67)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 01:05 pm
Aimo-Fin
Aimo-Fin, do you spell it differently? Limppu? You are such a young baker. Perhaps you would like to try my recipe. ---BBB

This recipe makes two loaves that will keep well wrapped in a refrigerator or freezer protective wrap. This bread is a lovely moist, dense, easy to slice bread, delicately flavored with orange, that makes wonderful sandwiches or toast.

I've tested this recipe in a bread machine, but it has a texture different than the more desirable hand-kneaded loaves.

FINNISH-STYLE LIMPA BREAD
The Best In The World!
By BumbleBeeBoogie

1- 1/2 cups of warm water
2 packages of active dry yeast
1/4 cup of light or medium molasses
1/4 cup of white granulated sugar
1 tablespoon of salt
Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
2 tablespoons soft butter
2-1/2 cups of rye flour, sifted
2-1/2 cups of all-purpose white flour, sifted

Place the warm water in a large warm mixing bowl. Sprinkle the yeast over the water until dissolved. Mix in the molasses, sugar, salt and orange rind.

Add the soft butter and rye flour to the liquid mixture; mix well. Stir in the all-purpose white flour.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface; knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. If the dough is too sticky, work in a little more of the all-purpose white flour (about 2 tablespoons.) The dough may optionally be kneaded with a power mixer and a dough hook.

FIRST RISING: Grease a large bowl and place the dough in it. Cover it with a clean dry towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until it is double in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.

SECOND RISING: Flour your hands and punch the dough down to deflate it and let it rise again until it is double in bulk, about 1 hour.

THIRD RISING: Flour your hands and punch the dough down again. Divide the dough in half. Shape the dough into two oblong loaves. Place the two loaves on one or two greased baking sheets. Cover the loaves with a warm, damp towel. Let the dough rise again until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Center the oven baking shelf in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven at 375 degrees F. (190 degrres C.) Grease one or two baking sheets.

Uncover the two loaves. Bake them for 35 minutes or until the loaves are a rich brown. Remove the loaves from the oven, brush them with additional melted butter.
0 Replies

Aimo-FIN

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 01:24 pm
Limpa is SWEDISH. Limppu is Finnish Wink Wonder what kind of bread that'll make like. I often make food or bake something, been doing it for several years. Smile
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
Thanks, BBB. I really like to make challah with white rasins and poppy seeds, but maybe this will replace it as my favorite bread!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:09 pm
Thanks for the recipe, BBB.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 01:50 am
Jeez, I feel old - my teens were such a LONG time ago !!!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:22 am
Yes, Gautam - you and I are now old enough to be fathers of 16 year olds, without having broken the law back then!

I know that was almost as irrelevant to me, back then, as it remains irrelevant to you, however!!! Laughing

KP
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:02 am
No pity here. I am the father of a 15 year old. He's my youngest.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:14 am
Jer wrote:
CDK,

I actually had beer last night after I played hockey...but when I see the doc in a couple of hours I'm sure he's going to tell me not to drink while I'm taking the antibiotics I expect he'll prescribe...

Hope you're feeling better.

Unless your infection is bacterial (maybe fungal although I would hope not!) your physician would be very irresponsible to prescribe an antibiotic to you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:26 am
Don't know about where Jer is, but there was a nasty, bacterial lung infection romping around Tranna this winter. Blechhhhhhhhhh.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:27 am
I believe Jer lives on the left-hand side of Canadia . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:02 pm
George wrote:
No pity here. I am the father of a 15 year old. He's my youngest.

George
You must have been a child bride! Razz
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 02:11 pm
Bless you, margo!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 03:18 pm
Caprice,

I expected he'd prescribe antibiotics cause I figured I probably had a bacterial infection Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
herr "baron" walter : lived as a young boy in vienna from 1940 to 1941 and still have fond memories of that time, and also of our three-week stay in the fall of 2002. i have to make a correction, the "herr rittmeister" did not call mrs. h "madam' but "gnaedige frau" - much more appropriate i would say. as far as the "herr baron" goes, there is a neat little story to go with it. when a german (perhaps a berliner ?) visited vienna in "the olden days" , he was adressed by a waiter as "herr baron". the berliner replied quite quite annoyed that he was not a baron; apparently the waiter replied by bowing and smiling(as only a viennese waiter can - of course most came from bohemia or hungary) , "oh, in vienna we call every idiot herr baron" , smiling some more . the actual word used was "trottel", a word not used much anymore i believe . hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:27 pm
What are pathogenic bacteria doing in lungs.. they aren't usually there.
In my humble and very passe opinion, one ought to do a plate re bacteria before going there with antibios, it only takes 12 - 24 hours, in plate time, or less, if the lab is a 24 hour/day one. We used to do what was called "culture and sensitivities". But , ne'er mind. This kind of observation has been overtaken by broadswath antibios.. it seems, but of course I am not there in labs now.

edit to spell sensitivities better..
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:33 pm
Perhaps they'll start to do them again when huge numbers of infections are failing to respond to any antibiotics. (I had a Swedish prof. last semester who is horrified at the use of antibiotics in the U.S. in general and in dairy cows in particular. Don't even have to have a scrip to get antibiotics for a cow.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:57 am
Uh, I don't think he's wrong, or far wrong. But then I had my flimsy education a bunch of years ago. The education wasn't flimsy.. it t'was I..
0 Replies