How Old Are My Fellow A2K Members?

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 09:49 am
Madam
When I traveled in Europe, it took a while for me to get used to being called Madam.

I also recall that women in the military are referred to as Ma'am.

BBB
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:37 am
It's interesting to see the different weight and freight words carry. I can cope with being referred to as ma'am, become mightily enraged by people who refer to me as lady or a lady if I don't think they know me, wouldn't respond to someone calling me 'guy', and think of/refer to myself and others of my gender as women.

Cultural/generational thing? I'd say so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
One addresses an officer who is also a woman as Ma'am . . .

Ma'am, yes Ma'am ! ! !

Osso, i've only noticed the "you guys" thing in regard to women among younger women in recent years. But, then, i've not made a point of searching for such linguistic tidbits.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:06 pm
dlowan wrote:
patiodog wrote:
A lady can't properly die of consumption with PAPER TOWELS!

So true - so true!

It is good to see that, beneath thy Trampish exterior, beats the heart of a pedigree pooch!

Just because it hurts to pee and Godot still hasn't come doesn't mean that I have to abandon all the trappings of civility. Without we maintain that illusion, we'll simply fall prey to the liminal and savage experience, which would just lead to pleasure, which would just lead to the expectation of continued pleasure, which would just lead to abject disappointment when the trapped closed on our wild leg. As we gnawed that skin and tendons around the knee, we'd surely miss the comfort of clean kerchiefs, aged whisky, and dusty books. It would do just as well to be neutered like a pet dog, I should think.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:09 pm
(sorry, you folks had moved on to and well past "whiffling.")
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:23 pm
Puppy breath speaks sooth....nods at the gnawed tendons and such...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 04:10 pm
I think the "lady" discussion is actually an interesting subset of this thread -- it seems to have more clear generational lines most topics.

<note to self, don't tell ehBeth that sozlet calls her "the nice lady with the antlers...">
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 05:16 pm
two years ago while visiting vienna we attended a benefit concert for the united nations children's fund being given by an austria military band(wiener garde-regiment). during intermission i was making small talk with a retired austrian officer (in full dress-uniform - quite a sight !). when mrs. h came over to join, he clicked his heels, bowed, took mrs. h hand and made the gesture of kissing her hand (without actually kissing - kissing would not be correct) and said : " kuesse ihre hand, madam ! " - "kiss your hand, mylady ! " . he then introduced himself as : " rittmeister (captain in the cavallery - though he had actually served in the airforce !!! ???) wenzel von wenzelsbach ". mrs. h found the whole procedure quite charming and amusing; and i assured her that i would definetely NOT kiss her hand ! (great disappointment !). just goes to show that different countries have different customes. hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
ahhhhhh, but the sozlet knows me. That's what makes the difference (for me).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 11:56 pm
Mrs. Walter didn't like the Austrian habits - but I feeled quite comfortable to be called "Herr Baron", when we were in Vienna a couple of months ago :wink:
0 Replies

mad l

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:20 am
tell me more
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:27 am
mad 1
mad 1, yeah, we all want to know more.

Welcome to Able2Know, glad to have you here. And what more should we know about you?

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:51 pm
Way to go Craven - you passed your lung infection on to me! D'oh...no beer for two weeks...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 08:09 pm
Oh, nooooooooooo.
A computer rhinovirus perhaps?
0 Replies

mad l

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:48 am
hi I am 22 years of age and i like spots and cooking
I have got NVG in catering
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:24 am
Mad 1 and Cavfancier
Mad 1, you have to meet our famous chef, Cavfancier. You will have a lot in common with Cav.

BBB
0 Replies

Aimo-FIN

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:59 am
Turned 16 a while ago Smile
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 10:26 am
Aimo-fin
Aimo-Fin, welcome to Able2Know; glad to have you here.

What can you tell us about the life of a 16 year old in Finland?

I have to tell you my favorite bread recipe is the Fin's version of Limpa bread given to me by a life-long Finnish friend.

BBB
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 11:13 am
pass it on!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 11:24 am
Jer wrote:
Way to go Craven - you passed your lung infection on to me! D'oh...no beer for two weeks...

I refuse to give up the beer, so I gave up talking instead (makes me cough).
0 Replies