Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 01:25 pm
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2013/04/10/ron-hatch-relativity-in-the-light-of-gps-eu-2013/

The little club consisting of authors of dead science theories from past centuries...

Chuck Darwin isn't the only member of that club, Albert Einstein is a member also.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,036 • Replies: 13
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 06:09 pm
@gungasnake,
Im amazed at how your buddies at Conservapedia will shill anything that smacks of pseudo science.
I typed in EVOLUTION and got that whole batch of crap misquotes of scientists where the quote "mining" is presented to make claims that these same scientists were "doubting" evolutionary theory from false claiming about evidence.

Im assuming that

M= Mo / { [1- Mo^2/C^2] ^1/2} still holds.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 06:13 pm
@farmerman,
I don't have anything to do with Conservapedia nor know anybody involved in it, the extent of my knowledge of the site is that I know it exists.

The claim that there is such a thing as "quote mining(TM)" is basically bullshit. In real life, if you don't want to be quoted as having said something, there is a terrifyingly easy way to accomplish that, i.e. don't say it.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 06:16 pm
Ron Hatch is one of the main people responsible for GPS, and holds a dozen or so of the main patents involved in GPS. He claims that relativity is a bunch of bullshit, and that GPS not only works on Newtonian physics, but that if you tried to make it work on Einsteinian physics, it would fall flat.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 13 Apr, 2013 06:35 pm
@gungasnake,
Ron Hatch is a CEO right? Does he even have a science degree?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 12:09 am
Gawd I luv Google. It makes GanjaSh*t so apparent.

In reality the relativistic effects of the atomic clocks in the orbiting satellites accounts to a difference of 38 microseconds a day with to ground based clocks as predicted by Einsteinian physics. An amount of time that has to be built into the Euclidian calculations that are used for terrestrial GPS positioning. BTW if this manipulation were not performed GPS positioning would degrade about 30 meter per day for each satellite.

Einstein's Relativity and Everyday Life--The Physics Forum

Rap

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 12:40 am
A much more lucid discussion of this GanjaSh*t

GPS and Relativity--SciForms

Rap
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 04:03 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:

The claim that there is such a thing as "quote mining(TM)" is basically bullshit. In real life, if you don't want to be quoted as having said something, there is a terrifyingly easy way to accomplish that, i.e. don't say it.

So thats your entire defense of the practise eh? When a single sentence like ;

"Years ago we found that there was little evidence to support transitional changes in the fossil record".. However, today, with all the finds in paleontology , weve been able to "fill in" mnay of the gaps in transitional fossils predicted by Darwin (I had to go back and check thie one out from a paper by Dave Raup)

This was quote mined to say

"We found that there was little evidence to support transitional changes in the fossil record"

I think that this is a disingenuous, fraudulent practise to tryt to get bullshit quote mining into print specifically on the internet where there is no control over things like truth and accuracy.

You state that you dont know anything about Conservipedia yet you seem to post crap thats almost verbatem from thei crap. So you think up your own crap? Im just curious where you pull up your stuff.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 04:17 am
@raprap,
I was assuming that the relatavistic drift was a cumulative effect that was due to three competing drifts, some additive and some subtractive so that the overall drift of 38 microseconds needs to be accounted for daily and it has nothing to do with "Hatch's thinking" but is actuallydue to Einsteinian effects.

Using GPS as much as I do in work and boat piloting, I have to admit a lot of ignorance about how the whole damn thing works beyond those simple understandings. Thanks rap for the clips, they clearly give gunga an "Unblemished" record of believing in Hogswallop.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 03:16 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
he little club consisting of authors of dead science theories from past centuries...

Chuck Darwin isn't the only member of that club, Albert Einstein is a member also.

Quote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324743704578444913060125542.html

Dr. Freire and his colleagues put Einstein to the test in a cosmic laboratory 7,000 light years from earth, where two exotic stars are circling each other. One, known as a white dwarf, is the cooling remnant of a much lighter star. Its companion is a pulsar, which spins 25 times every second. Though the pulsar is just 12 miles across, it weighs twice as much as the sun.

"When you have such a big mass in such a small space you have extremely high gravity," said Charles Wang, a theoretical physicist at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, who wasn't involved in the study.

The gravity on the pulsar's surface is 300 billion times as great as the gravity on Earth. The conditions there approach the relentless, overwhelming power of a black hole, which swallows even light.

"We're testing Einstein's theory in a region where it has never been tested before," said Dr. Freire.

The pulsar and white dwarf pair emit gravitational waves and the binary star system gradually loses energy. As a result, the stars will move closer to each other and orbit faster. Einstein's theory suggests the stars' orbital periods—the time they take to go around each other—ought to shrink by about eight-millionths of a second per year.

Dr. Freire's and his colleagues used several telescopes to take precise measurements of the two-star system. Their results perfectly matched the Einstein-based prediction.

Though Einstein's framework remains intact so far, "the study is significant for the way observations by astronomers are helping to identify new, extreme cases" to test his general theory of gravity, said Dr. Wang.

Einstein's theory was first—and dramatically—confirmed during a solar eclipse within four years of its publication, making him an instant celebrity. When asked how he would have felt if he had been proven wrong, Einstein replied: "I would have felt sorry for the Lord. The theory is correct."

Write to Gautam Naik at [email protected]

A version of this article appeared
April 26, 2013, on
roger

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 03:22 am
@BillRM,

BillRM wrote:

Quote:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324743704578444913060125542.html

Its companion is a pulsar, which spins 25 times every second.

Now, do these pulsars rotate that fast, or do they just pulsate that fast? Whatever pulsars do when they pulsate, I mean.
BillRM

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 04:05 am
@roger,
Quote:
Now, do these pulsars rotate that fast, or do they just pulsate that fast? Whatever pulsars do when they pulsate, I mean.

See any physics book on the subject of angular momentum and what happen when a revolving object that is a million miles in diameter decrease to a thousand or a few hundreds miles in diameter.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 04:33 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

They rotate (due to Conservation of Angular Momentum during their formation).
roger

Reply Fri 26 Apr, 2013 09:57 am
@rosborne979,
Thank you.
0 Replies