Anime/Manga

Eternal Flame

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 06:39 pm
I like both anime and manga...but I like manga better than I do anime. I wish I could draw manga...but I suck at drawing. I'm trying to work on it though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:08 pm
I dont care for anime , it all looks alike. All the people are kids that are sorta raceless amalgams of "Rose is Rose" crossed with crappy Godzilla animation. I suppose thats what we get with stock and canned illustration. It has no soul.

If you look back at the old Friz Freling stuff , that was cartoonery, or Dan Grosbeck or Frank Frazetta.
Theres no creativity in this junk and why doesnt somebody call it to the publics attention?
I guess I just did.
Im probably in a tiny minority but I also felt that "Crouching Tiger..." looked phony.

Eternal Flame-there was an artist in the 70s named Roy Keane , who painted these enormous eyed waifs. I think anime owes its start to him . I dont think drawing is part of anime production. It looks to "clip art" to me.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 07:35 pm
I've been showing some Anime for my film programs (due to popular requests). It is not nearly as bad as I had been led to believe. In fact, I liked Tokyo Godfather (a lot) and Princess Mononoke (those cute little wood sprite critters). Cowboy BeBop... not so sure.
0 Replies

Mona Lisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:22 pm
Quote:
Posted: 2004-08-28 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont care for anime , it all looks alike. All the people are kids that are sorta raceless amalgams of "Rose is Rose" crossed with crappy Godzilla animation. I suppose thats what we get with stock and canned illustration. It has no soul.

Anime can be really crappy or really good. I am disgustingly addicted to it and i still watch some stuff (like the old Vampire Hunter D - blech) and find myself wondering how someone can animate so terribly.

But drawing anime has ssomehow helped me draw more realistically. Anime (most) is actually strangely detailed and realistically shaded. begining with drawing manga has help me advance to different comic styles.

Plus, i have seen repulsive american comics and cartoons that are so terribly sketched, i find myself wondering if it is the work of a child.
0 Replies

sozmac

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2004 01:52 pm
ok, I love anime/manga. I am also confused as to the difference. In one website it said that manga was the name of the distribution company.

There are some very crap anime out there, but generally, I love it.

Why? Because it takes you to a completely different realm. SOme of the visuals are stunning. The violence can be extraordinarily beautiful...some of the sequences in Kill Bill are a testament to this. It can be poetic and philosophical, moving, dramatic..etc. And obviously things like cowboy beebop can be just plain funny. Or Laine...strange and intriguing.

My ex b'friend was very into it. He used to download free movies..I am completely hooked and just wish I had taken note of the websites. I miss watching.

Any hints?
0 Replies

Impure Kitty

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 12:50 pm
lol one of my friends got me hooked in to it but if u buy the disks they r like £20 each lol so i relie on my friend to be nice enogh to put some of the anime she has onto disk so i can watch lol sadly she watches them quicker then i do, seeing as its on her computer, so she deletes them like wot she did to naruto i was in ep 11 and i couldnt go to her place cos i had my exams next thing she tells me is that her brother deleted ep 1-70 cos it was taking up too much space and she didnt copy them on a disk so i have to download it but my connection is bad and it takes me forever to download so i have to wait till i get broadband so i can download naruto and watch it ^_^
0 Replies

Aurora Dark

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:47 pm
I love both anime and manga... but I can tell there probably aren't many fans of it here Sad

I don't think it's very reasonable to say the whole genre is ridiculous... that'd be equal to saying "I hate all American movies" or "I hate all cartoons," to insult an entire genre at once. Anime is very diverse, ranging from Pokemon to Ghost in the Shell, to Akira (a terribly violent program o_o), to Princess Mononoke and the very very realistic Jin-Roh (I consider this one to be a moving masterpiece; even if you dislike anime you very well could enjoy it. Halfway in, I forgot it was animated, it just sucked me in...)

Anime grew to be an emerging genre around the 1960s and 70s; that's when people really started paying attention to it. (most of the classic titles, i.e, AstroBoy, are from this time)

Manga = a typically Japanese graphic novel/comic, usually of anime-style concepts and artwork. (Note: contrary to popular belief, not all manga is black and white Wink Some is in color, rarely.)

Anime = a typically Japanese animated movie or series, etc. (Note: 3D anime does exist, where it's animated, but with 3-Dimensionally modeled elements)

For any fans among you, I'm a Naruto fangirl Wink
0 Replies

Impure Kitty

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 11:57 am
YAY GO NARUTO!!!!
..i agree with .:Aurora Dark:. there are many anime that just sucks u in and make u forget its an animation...and soo many good shows have been ummmm not liked just cos people say i hate all this and all that *nods*
0 Replies

mikomi

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 04:21 pm
wha my friend Sanne is really into manga. I think she's going a little bit too far. She gets mad at everybody who says something bad about manga. I have to say she draws manga pretty good. And I like the graphics very much,

love Karin
0 Replies

riku521

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:43 pm
i love anime!
well for me being a 13 year old teen, i truly looooooove anime and manga, i like to draw my own comics and the manga books i read now are love hina which is like 4 older teen and DNAngel, i tottaly love those books! but i need ideas for some more comics anyone have any? :wink:
0 Replies

Steelborn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
I think most stuff to do with manga and anime is brilliant. I grew up watching Japanese animation series.

I think what makes this style of art so appealling is not only that it looks cool, and its an established trend on its own genre, but its also the way that their storytelling draws you in and these type of characters always have personal traits that people can identify with.

I love the effort and attention to little details that japanese artists put into anime series, and manga. I think thats what makes it so good.
0 Replies

ninneko

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 07:15 pm
well, I luv both, although now I read manga more than I watch anime. da only anime i've beenwatching lately is Fullmetal Alchemist. My friend has da whole series on DVD so I'm lucky.

The difference between anime and manga is, anime is japanese animation that you WATCH on the TV, manga are japanese comics that you READ, and there's no animation, you read from panel to panel.

and because of anime, I luv j-pop too, even though I'm sorta supposed to cuz I'm japanese but.... I live in America, and hav for most of my life anywayz, so, what the heck.

Oh yea, and I also like to draw. I hope this works, I drew this on the comp:

http://www.tigerntigress.com/oekakitesting/pictures/OP_615.png
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 02:38 pm
Here's another strong vote for the quality of PRINCESS MONONOKE. I also greatly enjoy the same creator's MY NEIGHBOR TONTORO and SPRITED AWAY. Although there is lousy anime out there, much of it is very inventive. I read an article in "Newsweek" that said the Disney animation studios drool over the quality of anime, because they cannot afford to match it, either technically or artistically; apparently, a Japanese-level American anime would not bring in sufficient money to pay for itself. I'm not so sure. I find it powerful. For one specific example, the tiger-cat/bus in TONTORO is a fabulous piece of artistic imagination.

Manga probably has connections with sequential panels of erotic drawings, which have been popular in Japan for centuries. I do not know the name for this art form. They are not, I think, in the tradition of the pillow book; they are exaggerated and often violent. They don't do anything for me at all, but the Japanese apparently like the weird and vicious elements in some of today's manga. I have talked with Japanese friends about manga, and they have told me that the fictional violence has a long tradition and is harmless to a Japanese. I didn't argue the latter point, because I know so very little about the culture.

There is manga without excessive (to me) kink and blood. Some of it I find very amusing and inventive. Although I like graphic novels, I prefer anime to manga. My wife has the same preference. One of our daughters (age 34) is mad for anime; the other (age 36) is not--but she likes individual films.

Please post some more titles of good anime! We are always on the lookout.
0 Replies

craos

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 07:02 pm
Princess Mononoke belongs to Studio Ghibli productions. I recommend Grave of The Fireflies.
-sad story about world war 2 in japan where 2 siblings had to live on their own.

.... and in case of emergency, prepared tissues for those who reeeeeeally emotional.
khadijah1213

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 03:44 pm
@Thok,
not recently along time ago! i looked it up a while ago and looked it up again it said from about after WW2
0 Replies

khadijah1213

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 03:48 pm
@craos,
Princess Monanoka was made by Hio Miazaki too. I LOVE his movies!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 03:48 pm
@craos,
grave of the fireflies is a truly great movie
Miklos7

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 07:42 am
@djjd62,
Sounds as if what makes great anime is superior artistry combined with a story that engages one's emotions. Is this a correct inference from what you write? If so, I agree entirely, as that combination makes for first-class novels and non-anime films, too.
0 Replies

BotulinumWolf

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 05:26 pm
Would anyone be interested in trying to make a manga with me?
0 Replies

somewhatsolved

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 08:21 am
@unluckystar,
Blast from the past warning ⚠

Do you still watch anime and read manga.

And why didn't anyone point out that Portalstar was a woman w/ a boyfriend who also watches anime.
0 Replies