Silicone/rubber cutting

wlavin

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 09:27 am
I need to cut thin silicone cord (approx. 2.5mm diameter) into rounded (3d) tapered ends. Does anyone know of any cutting equipment that can do this? I've looked everywhere and can't find such a thing. Bear in mind that the cord needs to be rounded all the way round i.e. not just flat cut
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,460 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:50 am
@wlavin,
Totally OT though it be, Vin, but stimulated curiosity as to what might be the right word for "conical but having blunt tip"

http://able2know.org/topic/212084-1#post-5297617

Your q however isn't at all trivial so I went out to my workshop, viewing all my tools racked up above my workbench, with no luck

One might use a grinder for the purpose though the result might lack symmetry. But then I consulted my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, and she suggested using a pencil sharpener. Flat out brilliant!
roger

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2013 11:01 pm
That is not at all like the mold I was visualizing.
0 Replies

wlavin

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 05:00 am
@dalehileman,
Hi, thanks very much for the response. Good idea from your wife, and one that I have in fact tried. The trouble with that is that a pencil sharpener needs something hard to grip, and the silicone is soft. It was also suggested that I use modelling clay around the silicone cord (with the end sticking out) in order to fool the sharpener into thinking it's a pencil. However, to do this every time would not make this a viable solution. Any other ideas?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 09:47 am
@wlavin,
Quote:
Any other ideas?
Only that my BH suggests the pencil sharpener might work after all, if it's the powered kind, which will put up less resistance. Also she says the kind you want has a rotating guide for different size pencils
0 Replies