How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Leadfoot

Mon 30 May, 2016 07:04 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
There is some truth to this. I just wanted to say that I apologize to all people I have offended over the years not seeing the value that they hold close to their hearts. Being human we all have poor judgements at times.
Thanks RL, wish more people were that objective.
reasoning logic

Mon 30 May, 2016 10:48 am
@Leadfoot,
We all question peoples beliefs at times and think they are full of **** or that they have a disorder that they can not help.

I bet that even you feel this way about this man, strange thing is many of these people drive on the roads with you and I.

Leadfoot

Mon 30 May, 2016 02:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
You have no obligation to respect any belief system which is self contradictory so don't feel bad about thinking that guy is full of ****.

After my 3rd ex wife introduced me to websites that promote the 'Galactics, the Cabal, etc. I admit I do tune in once in awhile for entertainment purposes but also for research into what explains them.

The easy answer the the 'Contribute Now' links that are almost always there but there has to be more to it than that. And I don't mean I think there is any truth in the stories that Obama is raping and murdering kids in the White House Laughing
0 Replies

Senter

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Hmmm. No recent activity here. Is it too late to chime in?

Yes Frank, I say all religions are wrong. Each religion's main text/scripture tells stories based on their historic culture and has god acting to reinforce the "good" (as they were perceived) parts of their culture. They all have god talking to people in detail but that has never happened in recorded history of at least the last thousand years. And they all have god saying and doing things that we, today, know to be criminal in some cases (according to our culture, like stoning adulterous women) , illogical, and even completely untrue based on our far more advanced scientific knowledge. In the absence of such knowledge much of religious writings were mired in superstition.

I, myself, was deeply persuaded in such things for years and had many inexplicable "religious experiences" that were very deeply impactful, but modern neurology and psychology can replicate much of these experiences at will, like the experience of "the Presence". When induced in non-believers the subject is intrigued. When induced in "believers" the subject cannot be convinced that the experience was not real but was induced.

(The original question was whether all religions are wrong. Some respondents have instead addressed the question of whether god exists. Please note that I did not address the question of whether god exists.)
Leadfoot

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:44 am
@Senter,
Quote:
Hmmm. No recent activity here. Is it too late to chime in?
Sadly, Frank's not here (in a2k) anymore.

So you're saying that all religions are wrong but no opinion on God.
reasoning logic

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Does anyone know how Frank is?
Leadfoot

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 10:48 am
@reasoning logic,
Happy on another forum he said. Didn't say which one.
reasoning logic

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 11:25 am
@Leadfoot,
It is good to hear he is happy
0 Replies

fresco

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 01:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
http://www.debatepolitics.com/search.php?searchid=5601522

same old...same old.....
Glennn

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 02:06 pm
@fresco,
I spent a couple of years on that site. A lot of knock-down drag-out fights.
fresco

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:45 am
@Leadfoot,
Alternative link
http://www.debatepolitics.com/members/frank-apisa.html
fresco

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 12:47 am
@Glennn,
Frank is the queen of 'drag-out'! Wink
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 04:48 am
I have to say I miss old Frank.
Leadfoot

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 11:51 am
@fresco,
Tnx for the link. Be interesting to see what he's thinking lately.
Doubt I'll spend a lot of time there, political fights get boring.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 02:16 pm
I think the title presumes something not in evidence. I believe religion has both good and bad (history) that are natural in humanity. Any manmade organization has all the characteristics that is natural. Even cultures; none are speckle clean of human suffering.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 05:00 pm
@Smileyrius,
I think most all of us miss Frank but he may have had a good reason to leave. It seemed to me that his blood pressure may have been an issue debating some of you.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:50 am
@reasoning logic,
This has 2 problems with it
1) Are we (incorrectly) saying that a religion is what deals with "God"
2) How can anything be entirely wrong, that means there is no God, but if that is what you meant, why are you avoiding it.

Many religions have a core truth to them. What reason tells us about God seems fairly stable across at least Western cultures. Revelation is where the problem and the differences arise.

But I am a Catholic and I find that their Hierarchy of Truths shows excellently what is misguided in your question:

http://www.acmrcia.com/blog/5-foundational-truths-revelation
AugustineBrother

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:54 am
@reasoning logic,
Why do people get so theoretical and affected with these questions. Why not start with Judaism or Christianity, the history-based religions. So someone opines that God might not care about us. Well in complete conjecture that could be postulated but why treat such a serious question like that.

I am a Catholic and I converted by responding to what is claimed to be a real overture from God in Jesus.
AugustineBrother

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:56 am
@reasoning logic,
Everything is certainly not a belief. And no one can transplant their conversion to someone else. We have different questions (arising from different backgrounds and abilities and mental makeup) and we are bothered by different concerns. Jesus never put out a generic faith. He revealed and He gave His credentials. If you accept Him as the Promised One, the Son of God, then you have everything you need. What He says and teaches is true and necessary.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 29 Jun, 2016 12:36 pm
@AugustineBrother,
AugustineBrother wrote:

Why do people get so theoretical and affected with these questions. Why not start with Judaism or Christianity, the history-based religions. So someone opines that God might not care about us. Well in complete conjecture that could be postulated but why treat such a serious question like that.

I am a Catholic and I converted by responding to what is claimed to be a real overture from God in Jesus.

These questions have existed since before Christianity.

The Abrahamic religions themselves prompt other questions about God's caring what with God's testing of Job, the cruel way he treats his people, let alone those that aren't, etc.
0 Replies