How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Leadfoot

Tue 10 May, 2016 06:54 am
@reasoning logic,
Personally, it is the ridiculously complex tax laws that make tax filing a nightmare for me, not the taxes themselves. I think that's true of a lot of people. Chomsky's conflating that with 'nothing for them, everything for me' is a distortion.

I also note that he starts out by saying that 70% of people have no influence over government and spending. So why shouldn't those 70% of people resent how government decides to spend their taxes?

Bernie is pissed off by companies moving out of country but doesn't say a thing about the US having the highest corporate tax rates. BTW, corporate taxes show up in the price of products so it's the consumer who actually pays those taxes.

Not a lot of intellectual rigor in that talk.
reasoning logic

Wed 11 May, 2016 06:34 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Not a lot of intellectual rigor in that talk.

Would you agree that most of ISIS or other Islamic states would agree on your assessment being they too adhere to their conservative principles?

How are your ideas of this issue different than Islamic principles?
Leadfoot

Wed 11 May, 2016 11:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Would you agree that most of ISIS or other Islamic states would agree on your assessment being they too adhere to their conservative principles?
Yes.

Quote:
How are your ideas of this issue different than Islamic principles?
You're kidding, right? They differ in numerous ways. How long have you got? If you want a serious answer, be a little more specific. What 'issue' are you referring to?
reasoning logic

Fri 13 May, 2016 04:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You're kidding, right? They differ in numerous ways. How long have you got? If you want a serious answer, be a little more specific. What 'issue' are you referring to?

No disrespect to you but I thought that it might be a good idea if I researched a little of what you thought reality is and it seems a lot different than what I see. It would be a never ending view of differences if we were to have a discussion about most topics.

I read this post from you below and I was puzzled.

Quote:

I think I've done this before but I'll try a brief version again.

The actions of God in Job and many other places only make sense in the context of the overarching story of what God is doing. I can't possibly tell you all the reasons and biblical references that support this fundamental drive behind it all so I'll just say it in my own words.

God at some point desperately wanted more company than just his son and the angels he created. Thus was the plan to create 'us'. If we were to be fit company, we would have to be intelligent, self conscious and have free will. We would also eventually have to be free of any outside coercion other that the ideas inherent in our environment.

Very early on, God was challenged by Satan (an angel who rebelled) that given these conditions, all would choose the ideas and ideals that Satan subscribed to rather than God's. Whether this was literal or just the figurative truth inherent in creating free willed beings does not matter. It is the logical reality of free will.

But the imperative with God was that he wanted the company of what men could be if they thrived under those circumstances. The only thing that could stand in God's way of acting lovingly toward man was to be challenged on the 'rules of this existence'. It is that challenge which leads God into the things that you find repellant. They are, but only if you don't see the overarching goal of God.

Even though this has led to situations that made me long for death at times, when I finally got the reality of what was behind it all, I knew I would not have it any other way.

This video about trump may be something you can relate to better than me.

He explains how Donald Trump is the new messiah sent from god.

Leadfoot

Fri 13 May, 2016 08:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
No disrespect to you but I thought that it might be a good idea if I researched a little of what you thought reality is and it seems a lot different than what I see. It would be a never ending view of differences if we were to have a discussion about most topics.
People rarely talk about it and I don't think they spend nearly enough time considering it but I'm always interested in how people view reality at the highest level, so don't hesitate to tell me yours, regardless of how unpopular or different from mine you think it might be.

I suffered through the entire podcast you linked to but I could not see why you thought there would be any linkage between it and the quote of what I had written about God's overarching plan. To sum up the podcast, I thought it was just a sales pitch for the guy's DVDs. I wouldn't criticize his claim of being able to have dreams of God's plans but if God's revelations were that banal, why bother to tell anyone?

I didn't have much time to describe it but my impression of God's plan has virtually nothing to do with world politics, powerful leaders, national movements, etc. God's plan at it's essence is a very personal thing.

The 'company' God wanted that I was talking about is not a mass phenomenon. God's dealing with man is a one on one affair and it is that personal relationship that I am most focused on. Given that, I have very little interest in politics, who is president or the monetary policy that seemed to be the focus of your linked podcast. Although I somehow ended up with more than I can possibly spend in my lifetime, money also holds little interest to me.

So if you don't mind, what made you think I'd relate to that podcast?
reasoning logic

Fri 13 May, 2016 08:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
So if you don't mind, what made you think I'd relate to that podcast?

You believe there is a God and you understand him. You and the person in the video spoke as if you understood what a God "was or is" trying to communicate to others.
Leadfoot

Fri 13 May, 2016 08:52 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
You believe there is a God and you understand him. You and the person in the video spoke as if you understood what a God "was or is" trying to communicate to others.
Yes, and as I said, I don't hold that concept against him.

I hope my 'messages from God' are not as boring though...
reasoning logic

Fri 13 May, 2016 09:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

I hope my 'messages from God' are not as boring though...

Many people claimed to have received help from a God but many are different from what you or some others would consider to be true or genuine.
Two video examples that you may or may not believe were inspired or should I say were from god?

Leadfoot

Fri 13 May, 2016 09:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Many people claimed to have received help from a God but many are different than what you or others would consider to be true or genuine.
Two example that you may not believe were inspired or should I say were from god?
The concept of false prophets is not new. I'm sure there are many more.
reasoning logic

Fri 13 May, 2016 09:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The concept of false prophets is not new. I'm sure there are many more.

I have more than 10,000 hours studying the bible. I love the moral philosophy of Jesus and I use to preach to anyone and everyone but do you think that You or I could have preached or shared things that were false or figments of our imaginations?
Leadfoot

Sat 14 May, 2016 07:55 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
do you think that You or I could have preached or shared things that were false or figments of our imaginations?
I can't speak for anyone but myself but I try to verify anything I say about theology by at least three means: Reason, coherency (does it fit into an overall picture) and the bible. If it fits those criteria I feel confident that it is not a figment of my imagination.

Is it possible that I have become so delusional that I can't reliably judge any of those criteria? I don't think so but if that is the case, then I am unalterably doomed to remain on this course. If that puts me on a collision course with a wall, I will be at full throttle when I hit it.
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 14 May, 2016 08:10 am
@Leadfoot,
I think you lie. You can't seriously present the bibble beyond metaphor.
Whatever merits the bibble might have coherence and rigor is not among them.
Leadfoot

Sat 14 May, 2016 08:14 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That all depends on one's perspective.
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 14 May, 2016 08:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Go address the comment I made and left for you on the ID thread, unlike others I am not afraid of going down a debate on metaphysics...
Now since I know you have half a brain deal with my comment there seriously. Be respectful.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 14 May, 2016 08:21 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
That all depends on one's perspective.

Do you think that theistic psychosis allows for Gods to be created into a man's imaginary figure of what a God should be?
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 14 May, 2016 08:30 am
@reasoning logic,
Its not psychosis, is a general common need to shortcut a complex explanation on the nature of Reality which is abstract and counter intuitive.
reasoning logic

Sat 14 May, 2016 08:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That is one way of looking at it, As if it is not a mental disorder characterized by symptoms, such as delusions or hallucinations, that indicate impaired contact with reality.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 14 May, 2016 09:07 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Do you think that theistic psychosis allows for Gods to be created into a man's imaginary figure of what a God should be?
I'm sure we have both seen examples of that happening. The flaws and contradictions are usually pretty obvious but not always.

If you're suggesting that it's happened to me, I always welcome others to point out my imaginary friend's flaws and contradictions.
0 Replies

kency123

Mon 16 May, 2016 06:08 am
@reasoning logic,
You can't prove a negative.
0 Replies

momoends

Mon 16 May, 2016 06:22 am
@Leadfoot,
who wrote that text? was it jesus? no it was´t! so please!! stop believing blindly everything wrote there!