How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Amoh5

Wed 6 Apr, 2016 10:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
I think Lord Jesus is the greatest teacher in human morality, of the God realm, and in all human history. Even though there is a lot of mythology and existence doubting surrounding him, one can't help but think what an amazing humanitarian character he is. He's not greedy, perverted, sexist or anti-human...
Setanta

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 04:09 am
Uh-huh . . . so that's why your boy Jeebus always spoke as he did about Pharisees and scribes. That's why he went through the temple turning over the tables of the money changers--people who perform a useful service in life. That's why he arbitrarily and capriciously destroyed the livelihood of an otherwise unoffending swineherd. That's why he blasted a fig tree for having no figs--even though figs were not in season. Like all the god botherers, you are deluded.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 07:14 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
" How do you judge how realistic a future event is?
Or are you saying that what Jesus said about the dead living again is not reality?"

I either see them as metaphors or mythological additions...

Maybe I begin to understand your theism. So you are saying much of what Jesus said about judgement, life after death, eternal life, etc. was mythology and fairytales.
Not criticizing you for it, just wanted to understand your POV. Yours does have the advantage of garnering less ridicule.
Leadfoot

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 07:20 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
In regard to a timeframe, it's ambiguous given the text at hand what with verse 28 that you've quoted, but verse 25 saying, "there cometh an hour, and it is now, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God..."
I am of course speculating but verse 25 could be just hearing (present/past day) as I think I once did, whereas 28 is both hearing and rising from the grave.
InfraBlue

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 10:30 am
@Leadfoot,
The verse isn't only about hearing. It's about the dead hearing the voice of the Son of God, or at least some of them, and living thereof.

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live."
Leadfoot

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 11:15 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live."

Still, 'shall hear and shall live' is future tense. The part that is hard to interpret is "The hour is coming, and now is". The present tense here doesn't match. I have assumed that 'The hour coming and now is' refers to the event which made the future event of the dead hearing and living possible. That event was his coming, which had of course happened.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Thu 7 Apr, 2016 08:30 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I think Lord Jesus is the greatest teacher in human morality, of the God realm, and in all human history.

Do you think that any other historians of his time spoke of him?

What do you think about the therapeutae's "men" -- therapeutrides "women" ?? They can be found behaving like Jesus way before Jesus was a word, "being the letter "J" is less than five hundred years old.
Amoh5

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 03:06 am
@Leadfoot,
Your Quote:
Maybe I begin to understand your theism. So you are saying much of what Jesus said about judgement, life after death, eternal life, etc. was mythology and fairytales.
Not criticizing you for it, just wanted to understand your POV. Yours does have the advantage of garnering less ridicule.
I do think some of the literature in the bible is far out, or far from reality that is, angels? dead people coming alive? virgins giving birth etc etc. Sometimes I may view such literature as metaphors, allegories or mythology depending on how the verses are written.
I am aware of the existence of illusionists or magicians in our modern world that earn a living entertaining us. But to assume that its all for real would be rather silly.
So my focus on biblical literature is more on the moral content rather than the magical stuff.
I don't care much about ridicule or what other people think of me as a Christian, I only care what God and Lord Jesus thinks. Things are different when you give your allegiance only to God and Lord Jesus because you don't care what anyone thinks, even my own parents, however I do love them.
A lot of ridiculing people like to think they are up there and perfect, but I know they are just dreaming. Only God is perfect.
I was drawn to Christianity because of the morality and humanitarianism of Lord Jesus, not the magical stuff.
I don't deny that there is a lot of mythological literature and existence issues surrounding Lord Jesus, but they are the least of my worries. Aspiring to good positive things like Lord Jesus and God is most important to me.
The mind is a fragile piece of software, if you fill it up with negative bad stuff, you're end up in predicaments you wish never existed. I was a negative thinking time-bomb before I became a Christian. I don't ever want to go back there again.
Christianity for me is about the power of good positive thinking and ethics...
Amoh5

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 03:50 am
@reasoning logic,
Your Quote:
Do you think that any other historians of his time spoke of him?
What do you think about the therapeutae's "men" -- therapeutrides "women" ?? They can be found behaving like Jesus way before Jesus was a word, "being the letter "J" is less than five hundred years old.
I don't know of any historians of his time talking about him. Just the usual Roman historians that wikipedia talks about, but they were way after his time.
Yes I did read a little on the therapeutae who lived by Lake Mareotis, they lived religious lives like the monks. There is a theory saying that Lord Jesus spent time learning with them. Who knows?
Yes they do seem like humanitarian people living religious solitary lives. However, I don't think Lord Jesus is all about competing for the humanitarian title. He is more about helping people realize the value of themselves with God.
cicerone imposter

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 12:48 pm
@Amoh5,
I find our dating system interesting; BC and AD. I like the Chinese system better.
Leadfoot

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 03:32 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I was drawn to Christianity because of the morality and humanitarianism of Lord Jesus, not the magical stuff.
I don't deny that there is a lot of mythological literature and existence issues surrounding Lord Jesus, but they are the least of my worries. Aspiring to good positive things like Lord Jesus and God is most important to me.
Interesting! I knew from what you have said already that it was the moral teachings of Jesus that interested you and that you discounted the rest as mythology or metaphor.

But what is your concept of God? What is his place and nature in your world view?
Amoh5

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 04:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Whatever works for you Cicerone
Amoh5

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 05:13 pm
@Leadfoot,
Like I have often said that I agree with Lord Jesus when he states that God is spirit, or the spirit of God Heavenly Father. And when I pray it is only to the spirit of God through Lord Jesus.
But I also think that the physique of God is the sky or open space, from looking at the words "Heavenly Father" which is the same as Sky Father or Father Sky.
Even though Christian theology doesn't mention Mother Earth, I suspect she is there. Like the physical parents of all living things.
The sky gives us air and water, the earth gives us food(plants) and warmth(fire or electricity)
I know Lord Jesus doesn't mention all this physical stuff, I just calculated it myself.
But yes when I do pray, I give reverence only to the spirit of God through Lord Jesus...
cicerone imposter

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 05:18 pm
@Amoh5,
I find our dating system interesting; BC and AD. I like the Chinese system better.

It works for me, because BC/AD is based on a fictitious character that never existed.
Amoh5

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ok Mr Perfect you know everything you gonna solve all our problems for us are you?
I thought not, your comments are merely fictitious and useless...
reasoning logic

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:23 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Like I have often said that I agree with Lord Jesus when he states that God is spirit, or the spirit of God Heavenly Father

This is what you believe. You do know this is no different than anyone else's belief? That means this is nothing more than a belief. No different than believing what Joseph smith wrote or the prophet Mohamad or this fine Philippine man who has millions of followers.

reasoning logic

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:24 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
Ok Mr Perfect you know everything you gonna solve all our problems for us are you?
I thought not, your comments are merely fictitious and useless...

It seems that someone may be emotionally charged.
Amoh5

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
If that is what you want to believe, good luck to you...
0 Replies

Amoh5

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 06:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
Your Quote:
It seems that someone may be emotionally charged.
Yup, I agree, it is you, dam you're good...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 8 Apr, 2016 09:06 pm
@Amoh5,
Your imagination is only exceeded by your ignorance. Where you got the idea I was going to solve "all the problems for us" isn't based on any reality. Your thought process needs to be based on facts, not fiction.