How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

JLNobody

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 03:34 pm
So the question becomes (to paraphrase FBM) Are all religions wrong or just the ones that believe in a supernatural dick?
I think the very notion of supernaturalism is wrong. As Frank said, if there are gods they are natural. Everything that exists is by definition natural. Moreover, I think it is reasonable to conclude that nothing obeys "laws" as if they were statutes. Laws are no more than observed regularities, not regulations underlying those regularities.
neologist

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 05:17 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

neologist wrote:

All things do take place according to natural law. The stance I take as a believer is that natural law has an author.

And your support for that stance is?
For that all I can offer is my considered application of anecdotal evidence.
reasoning logic

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 05:43 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
all I can offer is my considered application of anecdotal evidence.

Please share this anecdotal evidence with us all.
FBM

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 08:28 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

So the question becomes (to paraphrase FBM) Are all religions wrong or just the ones that believe in a supernatural dick?
I think the very notion of supernaturalism is wrong. As Frank said, if there are gods they are natural. Everything that exists is by definition natural. Moreover, I think it is reasonable to conclude that nothing obeys "laws" as if they were statutes. Laws are no more than observed regularities, not regulations underlying those regularities.

That's a good point, JLN. I'm using the vernacular definition without defending its accuracy. I think my point is clearly expressed using the vernacular.

0 Replies

FBM

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 08:30 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:

neologist wrote:

All things do take place according to natural law. The stance I take as a believer is that natural law has an author.

And your support for that stance is?
For that all I can offer is my considered application of anecdotal evidence.

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/volvofal.html

Granted, the presence of a logical fallacy in your reasoning does not ensure that your conclusion is wrong, only that your premises cannot support that conclusion. You'll need better, real evidence, I think.
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 08:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for keeping me in line, by the way. I do get sloppy sometimes.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 08:43 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
all I can offer is my considered application of anecdotal evidence.

Please share this anecdotal evidence with us all.
I'll have to begin with what I accept as an axiom that, save for the cogito, none of us are able to prove anything with absolute certainty.

Evolutionists, in particular, despite caterwauling to the contrary, are glaringly deficient in the application of scientific method. At the same time, even the most precise disciplines publish their findings according to statistical means. This is not to say I would doubt the amazing discoveries of modern science. I just don't elevate them beyond what is reasonable.

Now, lets consider man's responsibilty to, or freedom from, any obligation to a creator. Let it not be decided by either lust for license or desire for reward.

What initially directed me from my 'ethical disbelief' was the huge chasm between the teachings of nominal christianity and that of the bible. I could reach no conclusion other than some force beyond the rational had to be involved. Anyone reading my posts and topics might easily discern what I am referring to.

I'll leave it at that for now. This is a difficult post from my tablet.
imans

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 10:48 pm
when i call u dickhead u cant say then that god is a dick just to keep pretendin u being god
an individual is the most out of everything he knows, when u know that god is a dick then sure u r not that to urself, which prove the liars u r constantly

for the story, god is like lucifer which is never a dick, insolent direct crimes against rights and truth knowledge by any position in shape above smthg
when u step on smthg with ur feet by force u r not a dick, also when u enjoy forcin others to worse humiliations and unsanity of suffocation ends u r all criminals traits together as the base of ur freedom, which is the definition of god and any powerful sense end

when god enjoy seein rights on their knees begging there the dick shows up, which in truth is for crimes edges, like enjoyin the idea to force u to b the worse u can from ur own will
and here jesus is that dick pretense when obviously he is doin nothing but insistin to force someone right to b wrong
0 Replies

imans

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 10:58 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

What initially directed me from my 'ethical disbelief' was the huge chasm between the teachings of nominal christianity and that of the bible. I could reach no conclusion other than some force beyond the rational had to be involved. Anyone reading my posts and topics might easily discern what I am referring to.

on the contrary the teachings of wat u recall as nominal christianity are far more superior then the bible teachings

scripture are intelligent doctrine surely bc it has to b real for a long time
while the bible is clearly based on conscious slavery and possessions powers, as the reason of all and death of what mean to b not totally slave and not totally possessor

bible value is the sense of powerful life while have no value for teachings

like it is said to b snakes which doesnt make sense humans are suppositely not animals n over them all
treat the other as u want to b treated is the most retarded word
when humans are forced to objective reality of others as their exclusive constant way in being, sayin that is really meanin them in worse ends
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 6 Apr, 2013 11:56 pm
@FBM,
Why do you feel that science working and God existing are mutually exclusive?

(perhaps the answer is further along)
FBM

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't know for sure that it is, Finn. From my amateur knowledge of science, though, nothing yet seems to either require or suggest that such a being exists. It's the lack of evidence for religious claims that I'm focusing on.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:10 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I might add that if such a being did exist, and if it demanded our acknowledgement of its existence in order to avoid an eternity in damnation and suffering, but then used its omnipotence to hide from us, said entity would be a real dick who didn't deserve the worship it demanded.

Agreed, but then the people who believe this nonsense have created a God in Man's image, and this may be damning of any religion which subscribes to it but it is not damning of all religions.

FBM

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I also agree there, Finn. I only meant to refer to people and religions who espouse that anthropomorphic version.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I agree with that last part in Spades.

If there is a GOD...and that GOD was able to "make" this vast universe...and that GOD wanted to make its presence known to humans...and to make known to humans what "pleases" it and what "offends" it...

...the GOD should certainly be able to do a better job of things. A child could.

I am left with the impression that either there is no GOD...or that the GOD is not interested in communicating its existence to us and has no interest in what we do in the "pleases/offends" dynamic.

SAID ANOTHER WAY: The gods currently being "worshiped" are an absurdity.

But I hasten to add: That does not mean there are no gods.

Frank, I would hope that you can appreciate how very narrow the viewpoint you have expressed actually is.

That you have concluded that God has done a very poor job of making his presence and desires known hardly proves or even suggests that God doesn't exist, only that a God who has intended for his creations to accept his existence and know his desires does not.

Again, if you narrow your definition of God to an entity that intends to unambiguously announce his presence and desires to his creations, then yes there is reason to believe such a God doesn't exit.

It doesn't take a heck of a lot of creative thinking, however, to imagine a Creator who wants his creations to come to the realization of his existence without laying it all out in the Sunday papers...without the cruel caprice employed by FBM's Dick-God.

Finally, the comment "the gods currently being 'worshipped' (what's the purpose of the quotation marks by the way?) are an absurdity" is fairly absurd itself. Who are these gods you think are currently being worshipped? Even a High School level course in Comparative Religion will reveal that they are not all the same and that they don't all require a declaration of acknowledgement. And these are only the gods worshipped by adherents of the major organized religions.

FBM

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 12:50 am
I just hope "FBM's Dick-God" doesn't become an internet meme.
neologist

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:03 am
@imans,
imans wrote:
on the contrary the teachings of wat u recall as nominal christianity are far more superior then the bible teachings ....

Just a few examples:

Nominal christianity: immortal soul.
Bible: consciousness ends at death

Nominal christianity: eventuality for individual humans - heaven or hell
Bible: life or death

Nominal christianity: God's nature an esoteric trinity
Bible: God a discreet individual. Jesus his first creation. Holy spirit not a person, but God's active force.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:08 am
@FBM,
A problem I have with these threads is that it is quite easy to dispute the layers of any religion that have been created by humans for their own selfish purposes or simple point-in-time ignorance.

The same can be said of science. At various points in history scientists were absolutely sure of things we now know are either not true or widely disputed, and if anyone truly believes that all that we call science is based solely on the desire to find what is fact, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like for them to consider purchasing.

This is not to say that science and religion or two peas in the same pod but they are hardly two poles on the same magnet.

The common element in where they reliably go wrong is either human nature or human frailties, depending upon one's perspective.

Can anyone actually prove that the Golden Rule works? If not, is that any reason not to follow it?

It is even more maddening/saddening (if there is such a word) when people declare that God cannot exist based on essentially childish proofs: If there was a God, he wouldn't let people suffer, or babies die. If God is going to send us to hell for not believing in him, why doesn't he just show up on Main Street everyday?

I would argue that the intelligent person who wishes to dispute the core of religion needs to filter out all of the nonsense that is common to each and every human endeavor. Having done so, there may, indeed, be a very persuasive argument against religion, but in these threads, at least, we never seem to get to that level: Too many people enjoy the shot that almost no one can miss and which bags nothing of value.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:09 am
@FBM,
It will if I have anything to do about it.
FBM

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Much of what you say I strongly agree with, Finn. I don't think that the way religious people go about acquiring knowledge about the world is on a par with the scientific approach, however.

As for going after the low-hanging fruit, yes, that seems to be the most common behavior in such threads. I know that Frank and I and a few others have tried to take it deeper, but the theists that I've had exchanges with haven't shown much, if any, interest in exploring that depth. I would love for these discussions to involve in-depth discussions about epistemology, for example. I would also love to have a more collaborative atmosphere instead of the prevailing combative one. However, I find myself drawn again and again into acrimonious exchanges.

In my experience, I try to point out flaws in arguments, but such statements get mistaken for or twisted into personal attacks. That is, my theist interlocutors take it personally and get angry when I point out, say, logical fallacies inherent in their premises or the fact that there's no credible empirical evidence for religious claims.

To be honest, I've pretty much given up all hope of having an open, honest and mutually respectful dialog with any of the theists I've found here to date. (I'm not saying that all us theists are poster children; it's just that I don't debate against them very often. We tend to agree on most things.) In giving up, I just resort to sound bites and aphorisms. Rhetoric, but rhetoric based on deeper observation.
FBM

Sun 7 Apr, 2013 01:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It will if I have anything to do about it.

Ugg. Sad
0 Replies