How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Zarathustra

Fri 10 May, 2013 04:35 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Let me just say that the superstitious beliefs in all relgions (sic) are wrong

I will go out on a limb and say that things you would consider superstition or “rituals that rest on magical metaphysical beliefs “ would include things like augury (for example scapulimancy), or reading the constellations to predict short and long term rain, or worshiping cows in a nation whose history includes consistent wide-spread famine.

The Naskapi Indians live at carrying capacity in the Artic. They are the inland cousins of the maritime Eskimos. They use all type of augury for hunting, especially scapulimancy. F.G. Speck (1935) described living with the Naskaspi and noted the “superstitions” although he was surprised that hunts that started with divination to plan the hunt were significantly more successful than those hunts where divination was not used. One typical example (there were many over the time he spent there) was that for 19 hunts with divination 12 of 19 were successful. Non-divination initiated hunts stayed near the Gaussian average (9.5/19), or a bit lower. That is a huge difference when living on the edge (life and death of the tribe type of difference). Speck also noted that when things were at their most precarious augury was used the most often, at times exclusively. He noted the apparent inexplicable results found in the data, but simply remarked on the power of belief in human culture.

It was researchers at Princeton (most notably Moore) that took on the tradition of “superstition” as being basically how it is seen by veteran A2K’ers. It was shown from Speck’s observations and commentary, for example, how the Naskapi were probably using scapulimancy (without being aware of it) as a random number generator that kept the hunters from habituating areas and allowing animals to notice this and avoid those areas. Even compared with other animals humans are creatures of habit. Much research of this type has come out of Princeton on ”superstition” and “magic” especially in the late ’50s and ‘60s.

For decades international bodies and countries such as the U.S. had been trying to get the native nomadic pastoralists to change the way in which they raise and keep animal herds in their arid northern Kenya home. Humorous in the extreme when you consider that tribes like the Samburu keep milk!!! cows in a desert environment while here in the U.S. the most lush pastures are used for milk cows.

During the great drought starting in the 1980’s Paul Robinson lived with the Gabbra people while researching his PhD paper on the survival strategies used by the people of northern Kenya, the Gabbra specifically. To make a long story short those tribes who gave up traditional strategies (largely reading astronomical signs and positioning to predict weather) did very poorly, nearly all ending up in U.N. feeding stations or dying on the way to them. As a side note, it was later determined that the Western strategies of husbandry that some of these tribes took up beforehand only made the disaster much worse. The tribes that used the traditional “superstitions” did far better. For example, the tribe of Yatani Sorale (following strictly to “superstition”), while certainly suffering the effect of the drought, not only survived but were able to help restock some of the devastated tribes’ herds when the rains finally fell about 3 1/2 years from the beginning of the drought.

As this is getting too long, I’ll be brief here. The “superstitious” concept of the “Scared Cow” is still deeply ingrained with people as the archetype of religious or mythological stupidity -- even unto the deaths of millions. This contemporary or logical “belief?” “superstition?” has persisted although it has been 47 years since Marvin Harris’s seminal paper “The Cultural Ecology of India’s Sacred Cattle” demonstrated that not only was the strategy not stupid it was a long-developing and superb example of a process that solves many different issues at the same time. In addition, no other plausible available strategy considered would do as well, let alone better. Models of the most popular Western solutions all could be shown to be probable disasters. Not only was Harris’s paper almost universally praised for its methods and rigor, it was a major influence in the field in the use of a functional approach to this type of anthropological research.

These are just very brief example of much scholarly research on the subject.

So I ask someone who regularly sprinkles their responses with details of science up to and including quantum mechanics: what is one to do -- accept conclusions of what appear to be (and are accepted in the relevant scholarly disciplines) as valid observations and proper scientific method, or ignore them and find excuses when the results don’t fit with the things one -- “knows”? After all, the scientific method can be revived later when it supports those conclusions that one “knows” are correct. Right?

neologist

Fri 10 May, 2013 04:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I wrote:
The question was (simplified) Does a god need a designer?. The answer was " the creator (designer) of all things would not/ could not. Sorry I introduced the bible; but consider your question answered
What is it that makes you believe there has to be a creator? What is it that you know with certainty that we can not just exist like the way you think a god can?
Read the post. I did not claim the existence of a creator, only that the creator of all things could not himself need a creator or designer. That would be by definition, I believe.

That I believe in God is an issue not part of my post. Your including it in your argument amounts to a red herring.
reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:01 pm
@Zarathustra,
Quote:
I will go out on a limb and say that things you would consider superstition or “rituals that rest on magical metaphysical beliefs “ would include things like augury (for example scapulimancy), or reading the constellations to predict short and long term rain, or worshiping cows in a nation whose history includes consistent wide-spread famine.

Maybe I am wrong but this seems reasonable.

Quote:
The Naskapi Indians live at carrying capacity in the Artic. They are the inland cousins of the maritime Eskimos. They use all type of augury for hunting, especially scapulimancy. F.G. Speck (1935) described living with the Naskaspi and noted the “superstitions” although he was surprised that hunts that started with divination to plan the hunt were significantly more successful than those hunts where divination was not used. One typical example (there were many over the time he spent there) was that for 19 hunts with divination 12 of 19 were successful. Non-divination initiated hunts stayed near the Gaussian average (9.5/19), or a bit lower. That is a huge difference when living on the edge (life and death of the tribe type of difference). Speck also noted that when things were at their most precarious augury was used the most often, at times exclusively. He noted the apparent inexplicable results found in the data, but simply remarked on the power of belief in human culture.

Is it possible that we could play those stats out a little further? I seen the Monte hall problem come out different that it is suppose to in the short term but would you disagree that the Monte hall problem seems more empirical the further out you take it?

Quote:
It was shown from Speck’s observations and commentary, for example, how the Naskapi were probably using scapulimancy (without being aware of it) as a random number generator that kept the hunters from habituating areas and allowing animals to notice this and avoid those areas.

I will be honest and acknowledge my ignorance but do you truly think that this helped animals to notice this and avoid those areas?

Sure it could of but I was wondering what you thought.

Quote:
The tribes that used the traditional “superstitions” did far better. For example, the tribe of Yatani Sorale (following strictly to “superstition”), while certainly suffering the effect of the drought, not only survived but were able to help restock some of the devastated tribes’ herds when the rains finally fell about 3 1/2 years from the beginning of the drought.

Do you think that luck or chance could have played a role?

Quote:
the “Scared Cow” is still deeply ingrained with people as the archetype of religious or mythological stupidity -- even unto the deaths of millions. This contemporary or logical “belief?” “superstition?” has persisted although it has been 47 years since Marvin Harris’s seminal paper “The Cultural Ecology of India’s Sacred Cattle” demonstrated that not only was the strategy not stupid it was a long-developing and superb example of a process that solves many different issues at the same time. In addition, no other plausible available strategy considered would do as well, let alone better. Models of the most popular Western solutions all could be shown to be probable disasters. Not only was Harris’s paper almost universally praised for its methods and rigor, it was a major influence in the field in the use of a functional approach to this type of anthropological research.

Would you care to show all peer reviews on this subject even the ones which disagree?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:09 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
I did not claim the existence of a creator, only that the creator of all things could not himself need a creator or designer. That would be by definition, I believe.

What makes you think that the creator of all things could not himself need a creator or designer?
neologist

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
You mean create himself? A nifty circle.
JLNobody

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:23 pm
@Zarathustra,
Zarathusstra,
My intended meaning was to stress that superstitions which is the word I use to denote beliefs within religions that lack veracity/validity from the point of view of the Western scientific worldview, and in so doing recognize that such beliefs are only part of the religions. The religions in question may have beliefs and ethical traditions that are valid.
I recognize that some ritual practices, like scapulimancy, may promote success--which is why they prevail--even if it is only for their placebo effects.
When hunting is very bad, hunters may have the wisdom not to put their ritual practices to the test by using them. Rainmakers are, I suspect, more likely to dance when a storm is on the horizon--to feel that they have control over nature (just as Aztec priests blew on their conches to make the Sun rise each morning). If rainmakers use their rituals when in the middle of a drought they are more likely to discredit the ritual and thus deprive themselves of it as a psychological resource. Such rituals, it seems to me, are more psychosocial in their value rather than mechanistically useful.
Ritual magic may "work" on some occasions but that may have no philosophical significance (having no relevance to metaphysical questions about the natural world); as you noted for Moore, and especially Marvin Harris with his cultural materialistic approach, the effectiveness of many ritual beliefs and actions may consist of purely latent functional significance.
By the way, my rejection of superstitions as magical or supernatural technologies does not make me an advocate of Scientism.
reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:26 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

No, I do not think that something has the power to create itself But rather what I wonder is how something as magnificent as a intelligent designer need not to be designed itself.
neologist

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
No, I do not think that something has the power to create itself But rather what I wonder is how something as magnificent as a intelligent designer need not to be designed itself.
You must be kidding. The designer design himself. . . .
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
I did not claim the existence of a creator, only that the creator of all things could not himself need a creator or designer. That would be by definition, I believe.

What makes you think that the creator of all things could not himself need a creator or designer?

It kind of goes with the title.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:31 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
By the way, my rejection of "supernaturalism" as a concept suitable for rational explanation of the workings of the natural world does not make me an advocate of Scientism.

You sure have fooled me. Shocked
reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:35 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

No that is not what I am claiming but rather what I am doing is trying to step into your shoes as a sociological experiment.

Would you also think that a person who designs cars and other things would have a designer or that they would be able to design themselves?
JLNobody

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
Shocked Question
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:53 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
I wrote:
No that is not what I am claiming but rather what I am doing is trying to step into your shoes as a sociological experiment.
I'm impressed!
reasoning logic wrote:
Would you also think that a person who designs cars and other things would have a designer or that they would be able to design themselves?
We are not on the same page, nor in the same book, nor in the same library. Heck, I wonder if we are even on the same planet.

reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 06:07 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
We are not on the same page, nor in the same book, nor in the same library. Heck, I wonder if we are even on the same planet.

Do not feel all alone because my wife seems to think that I am ahead of my own time.
neologist

Fri 10 May, 2013 06:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
Do not feel all alone because my wife seems to think that I am ahead of my own time.
I think you are reliving an issue from your past.
reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 06:38 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

I seem to agree. Do you think that someone would claim this as an issue of the future?
neologist

Fri 10 May, 2013 06:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
I seem to agree. Do you think that someone would claim this as an issue of the future?
Do you have free will?
reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 06:55 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Do you have free will?

Let me get one thing clear with you and all others that may read what I write.

I do not know how much free will I may have if I do indeed have any at all.

All that I have to share are observations and my observations may be incorrect. Do you think that your observations of god could be incorrect and if not, "why not?

tenderfoot

Fri 10 May, 2013 07:34 pm
@reasoning logic,
If the all knowing might be ..might not be God. Or the latest Christian God of mankind, were to obliterate mankind's knowledge of itself, would he of committed suicide or would he still be there. : - ).
reasoning logic

Fri 10 May, 2013 08:02 pm
@tenderfoot,
Quote:
If the all knowing might be ..might not be God. Or the latest Christian God of mankind, were to obliterate mankind's knowledge of itself, would he of committed suicide or would he still be there. : -

I do not know but I think know what you mean, Would god have seen a need to come down from heaven in the form of Jesus to commit suicide? it does not sound like an idea that a sane person would do.
0 Replies