How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

neologist

Thu 9 May, 2013 12:23 am
@fresco,
I don't see a problem. It's hard for any thread to stay focused. The OP invites a free for all. And we had fun, didn't we?
fresco

Thu 9 May, 2013 12:59 am
@neologist,
Quote:
And we had fun, didn't we?

We did !
I doubt whether those little girls waiting to be circumcised in Africa right now are having fun.
Setanta

Thu 9 May, 2013 02:44 am
There are small compensations--i love it that someone tagged this thread "rap battle."
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 May, 2013 03:43 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
If the Bible teaches that there's no heaven or hell and that we cease to exist when this body falls apart, how did the afterlife of the soul, heaven and hell become such fundamental elements of Christian apologetics?
Sorry I missed this. Perhaps a reason for a new thread. The short answer, if you believe the bible. God told Adam and Eve they would die. The serpent told them they would not die.

But they died. Explanation. You're not really dead - a part of you lives on . . . .

Please, Neo...not when I am having my orange juice at the keyboard. Do you know what a belly laugh can do to a mouthful of orange juice.

Now my keyboard has to be wiped clean again.
neologist

Thu 9 May, 2013 09:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
FBM wrote:
If the Bible teaches that there's no heaven or hell and that we cease to exist when this body falls apart, how did the afterlife of the soul, heaven and hell become such fundamental elements of Christian apologetics?
Sorry I missed this. Perhaps a reason for a new thread. The short answer, if you believe the bible. God told Adam and Eve they would die. The serpent told them they would not die.

But they died. Explanation. You're not really dead - a part of you lives on . . . .
Please, Neo...not when I am having my orange juice at the keyboard. Do you know what a belly laugh can do to a mouthful of orange juice.

Now my keyboard has to be wiped clean again.
So sorry, Frank. You should know by now never to click on a thread where I am the most recent poster. You really shouldn't have food or drink near the keyboard anyway. . . . Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 9 May, 2013 09:25 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
neo wrote:
And we had fun, didn't we?
We did !
I doubt whether those little girls waiting to be circumcised in Africa right now are having fun.
Right. Sometimes, In our good fortune, we forget.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Thu 9 May, 2013 03:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
There are small compensations--i love it that someone tagged this thread "rap battle."

I somewhat hate rap music but I have found some rappers to be very intellectual Such as the youtuber Juice media and others. I have watched many of Robert fosters videos on rap news and I find him to be a genius.

I did a little research of his work and found this, even though it is not by him, "his thinking led me here.

You seem to like history and maybe this is something that can add to your knowledge or maybe you already know about it.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Thu 9 May, 2013 05:30 pm
Let me just say that the superstitious beliefs in all relgions are wrong
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 May, 2013 05:39 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

What does that mean?
reasoning logic

Thu 9 May, 2013 05:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

What does that mean?

That is a good question Frank.

If we were to take the below quote as if it may be true how would you see it in a different light?

Superstition is a pejorative term for belief in supernatural causality: that one event leads to the cause of another without any physical process linking the two events, such as astrology, religion, omens, witchcraft, etc., that contradicts natural science.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 9 May, 2013 08:57 pm
@JLNobody,
Better you should say that religious beliefs that you consider superstitious are, in your opinion, wrong.

I doubt very much that you have anywhere near the abiltity to swat away all mystical thought.
neologist

Thu 9 May, 2013 09:13 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
. . . If we were to take the below quote as if it may be true how would you see it in a different light?
Quote:
Superstition is a pejorative term for belief in supernatural causality: that one event leads to the cause of another without any physical process linking the two events, such as astrology, religion, omens, witchcraft, etc., that contradicts natural science.
That a term is simply pejorative has no bearing on its accuracy. And linking the term religion in the same sentence with astrology, witchcraft, etc. is an irrelevant analogy.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Thu 9 May, 2013 11:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I was suggesting that perhaps not every belief or precept in a religion is "wrong", only its superstitious ones are. To me that applies especially to Buddhism-- essentially a program for the attainment of wisdom, but in some versions there are rituals that rest on magical metaphysical beliefs. Those I reject as superstitions.
fresco

Fri 10 May, 2013 12:05 am
@JLNobody,
The problem with that is the report of the current "atrocities" being committed by "Buddhists" in Sri Lanka.
Whereas I agree that intellectually, Buddhism ttends to make more sense than other belief systems, its de facto manifestation at the social level can be as pernicious as any other religion. My argument throughout has been that "wrongness of religion " cannot be measured by its intellectual aspects, but by its social ones. We as "Westerners" as not subject to the same tribal functionality or social stratification that an "Eastern" religion serves.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 10 May, 2013 02:37 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

What does that mean?

If we were to take the below quote as if it may be true how would you see it in a different light?

Thank you for that response, RL.

The problem I have with it...is that it assumes we KNOW all the facets and manifestations of what you call "natural science."

We don't.

If a GOD exists...it is NOT supernatural...and it would not be a contradiction of "natural science."

If a GOD actually created this universe...that is not a supernatural occurrance...and it would not contradict "natural science."

We really do not KNOW the true nature of REALITY...and there is a good possibility that we know less about the REALITY than we think we do.

Do I make my point?
Frank Apisa

Fri 10 May, 2013 02:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Better you should say that religious beliefs that you consider superstitious are, in your opinion, wrong.

I doubt very much that you have anywhere near the abiltity to swat away all mystical thought.

That first sentence captures what I was trying to say better than I said it. Wish I had read it before writing what I did.
0 Replies

igm

Fri 10 May, 2013 04:47 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I was suggesting that perhaps not every belief or precept in a religion is "wrong", only its superstitious ones are. To me that applies especially to Buddhism-- essentially a program for the attainment of wisdom, but in some versions there are rituals that rest on magical metaphysical beliefs. Those I reject as superstitions.

Can you give 'some' examples of superstitious beliefs in Buddhism and explain why they are superstitious... you should really give examples not just make an assertion... because you may not understand the 'intent' of the practices that you believe to be superstitious. Most of the teachings come under the heading of 'skillful means' or Upaya - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upaya .
FBM

Fri 10 May, 2013 04:56 am
@igm,
a.k.a. "Wittgenstein's ladder."
neologist

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
reasoning logic wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
JL wrote:
What does that mean?

Thank you for that response, RL.

The problem I have with it...is that it assumes we KNOW all the facets and manifestations of what you call "natural science."

We don't.

If a GOD exists...it is NOT supernatural...and it would not be a contradiction of "natural science."

If a GOD actually created this universe...that is not a supernatural occurrance...and it would not contradict "natural science."

We really do not KNOW the true nature of REALITY...and there is a good possibility that we know less about the REALITY than we think we do.

Do I make my point?
Spot on, Frank. Go drink your OJ in peace.
0 Replies

igm

Fri 10 May, 2013 05:15 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

a.k.a. "Wittgenstein's ladder."

Smile
0 Replies