How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Setanta

Sat 27 Apr, 2013 03:48 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I expressed myself clearly. You're just up to your usual activity of turd-stirring. You just want to argue, and not for any particular good reason. If you can't understand what i wrote, which was expressed plainly enough, then you need to go back to school. I certainly don't need, and won't be spending my time, explaining the obvious to you, just because you like to stir up trouble.
Looking4Truth

Sat 27 Apr, 2013 06:36 am
I don't believe "religions". I believe "common sense" although it's not very common. In other words, I believe my sense (given wisdom from experiences of my reallity), or perspective.

This "life" was not "made" for us to make our selves comfortable in. Only the insane are comfortable. In ancient times, it was a GIVEN that to want more than another has is insanity. The world is being ran by the insane. The "rulers" think they are better than others. They consider us as "cattle" using up THEIR natural resources. If a so called "ruler" reads this, let me ask, what makes "stuff" yours? What makes you more important than others? Your greed? Your power to manipulate? Your power to use other PEOPLE? You're crazy! The LOVE of money is the ROOT of ALL evil. Crazy people love stuff and use people to get stuff. The SANE use stuff and love people. Are you SANE or INSANE? Do you use stuff or people? Do you love people or stuff? Are you comfortable with this world?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:10 pm
@Setanta,
I agree, you did express yourself clearly and so did I.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 27 Apr, 2013 12:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The religious who meet in churches and on picnics can't possibly be there to enjoy themselves in the company of people who share at least the pretense of common values.

This is what you wrote, along with a a lot of manufactured sneers. That is exactly what i was talking about when i said that religious people enjoy community--that they do enjoy themselves in such company. It's hardly my fault that you then insert red herrings and hateful slurs, which is your stock in trade.

Obviously, you didn't understand what i had written. You just wanted to pick a fight. You're still trying to pick a fight. It's about all you're good for, because i don't see that you ever contribute anything of substance to a discussion.
reasoning logic

Sat 27 Apr, 2013 04:12 pm
@Setanta,
I do at times disagree with Setanta's approach but I did notice that Finn dAbuzz said this.
Quote:

It's interesting how much credit you give to simple people who are "scientists" and how little you give to those who are "religious."

We do realize that there are some very educated scientist that are "religious." don't we?

Are these religious people, simple minded scientist as well?

Do you think that these religious scientists are more credible when they are speaking theology than when they are sharing their scientific understandings?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 27 Apr, 2013 05:25 pm
@Setanta,
You see manufactured sneers and hateful slurs everywhere and since your sense of self-worth is so fragile you respond in kind because to do otherwise would be a sign of the weakness you so fear.
reasoning logic

Sat 27 Apr, 2013 05:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You see manufactured sneers and hateful slurs everywhere

Not trying to be mean or put you down but did you see in my last post how it could be seen to relate scientist as simple minded people as being a sneer?
Setanta

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:04 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You either completely failed to understand what i had said about religious people or you willfully ignored it in order to sneer--but either way, you sneered at what you falsely alleged my remarks to have meant. That's your problem, not mine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:05 am
@reasoning logic,
Scientists who also happen to be religious don't go to church because they're scientists. They go because they're religious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 03:08 am
To recapitulate, FBM asked me what value there was in religion. I replied "community, and the participation therein." This was not an insult to religious people. He then made a wry remark about scientists. I went along with that, just for the fun. But it did create a situation in which one might have thought that i equate science with religious belief. I don't. At no time was i comparing science to religion, but in response to FBM's wry remark, i did compare the behavior of scientists to that of religious people. Of course it's apples to oranges.
FBM

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:08 am
@Setanta,
I may have implied something unintentionally with that remark, Set. It wasn't to imply that science either is or isn't like a religion. It was just to imply that the findings of science stand on much firmer empirical ground than theological claims, and therefore seem to be a better community to join, with respects to predicting future events such as what happens after the individual dies, whether or not there is justification for belief in a soul, god, heaven, hell, etc.
neologist

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:41 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
I may have implied something unintentionally with that remark, Set. It wasn't to imply that science either is or isn't like a religion. It was just to imply that the findings of science stand on much firmer empirical ground than theological claims, and therefore seem to be a better community to join, with respects to predicting future events such as what happens after the individual dies, whether or not there is justification for belief in a soul, god, heaven, hell, etc.
For what its worth, there are many in this world who put faith in science without rational consideration, just as some blindly follow the religion of their parents.
As for what happens when an individual dies, many would be surprised to know the Bible clearly teaches that when you're dead, you're dead. Souls? We don't have souls we are souls. Hell? Mankind's common grave. The relation between the words hell and hole is no coincidence. You don't have to believe the Bible; but its not an esoteric mystery to be interpreted by only the priest.

Bertrand Russell was correct in one sense when he averred the myriad of competing ideas among the world's religions makes it obvious only one of them could be correct.
FBM

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:48 am
@neologist,
If the Bible teaches that there's no heaven or hell and that we cease to exist when this body falls apart, how did the afterlife of the soul, heaven and hell become such fundamental elements of Christian apologetics?
reasoning logic

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 06:49 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Bertrand Russell was correct in one sense when he averred the myriad of competing ideas among the world's religions makes it obvious only one of them could be correct.

Do you think that it is truly possible for one religion to be correct? If so which one do you think it is?
neologist

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:03 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:

Do you think that it is truly possible for one religion to be correct? If so which one do you think it is?
(John 13:35) . . .By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.”
reasoning logic

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 07:28 am
@neologist,
Quote:
(John 13:35) . . .By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves.”

It does seem to be a good place to start but people have so many different ideas about what it means to love and be loved.
Looking4Truth

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 08:22 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
It does seem to be a good place to start but people have so many different ideas about what it means to love and be loved.

So many ideas yet only one truth. So, what is true love? I don't think it comes from the mind. I think it's felt from the heart. I think true emotions come from the heart. I think the mind clouds the heart. I think foolishness and reasonable logic clouds true feelings. I don't think it's about what you think about someone, but how you feel about someone. In my opinion, we should close our minds and open our hearts.

You may see with our mind yet it blinds your heart. You have eyes but do not see truth. You have ears but cannot hear truth. Our senses are not in common.
JLNobody

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 09:10 am
I do hope you fellows appreciate the recreation you provide each other.
reasoning logic

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 09:20 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
I do hope you fellows appreciate the recreation you provide each other.

Its always a pleasure. Wink Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sun 28 Apr, 2013 09:27 am
@Looking4Truth,
Quote:
I think true emotions come from the heart. I think the mind clouds the heart. I think foolishness and reasonable logic clouds true feelings.

Are you an ancient Egyptian?
To them, it is the essence of life as well as the source of good and evil. This reverence for the heart is seen in the Egyptian funerary guide, The Book of the Dead, which instructs that a dead man's heart must be weighed against feathers to determine the balance of good to evil it contains. The brain, on the other hand, is considered a minor, unimportant organ. They discard it during the embalming process even as they ceremoniously preserve other organs for mummification. Despite this decided lack of interest, an ancient Egyptian record known as the Edwin Smith Surgical Papyrus contains the first written account of the anatomy of the brain. Written by an unknown physician, the papyrus documents twenty-six cases of brain injury along with various treatment recommendations.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/brain/history/2500bc.html?position=179?button=2

Quote:
You may see with our mind yet it blinds your heart. You have eyes but do not see truth. You have ears but cannot hear truth. Our senses are not in common.

Do you know me well enough to be certain?
0 Replies