How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:19 pm
@reasoning logic,

Quote:
OK maybe I did ask the wrong question and it should have read "how can we be sure that all religions are either correct or incorrect?" Would that have been better?

Absolutely.
0 Replies

mark noble

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:28 pm
@reasoning logic,
Not funny!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
Very funny.

You know what else is funny...Mark posting after my remark to make it look as though he is ignoring me.

I love that gimmick.

Overused a bit on A2K...but great fun.
mark noble

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Well, being assured that 'your' reality is the only logical reality, you are bound to assume other's as delusional.
Isn't that a given?

Or do you believe yourself the 'forerunner' of conceptual thought?
Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 05:42 pm
Actually....way overused is what I meant to say.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:22 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
do you believe yourself the 'forerunner' of conceptual thought?

No I am just a sheep following the lead when I am correct.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You know what else is funny...Mark posting after my remark to make it look as though he is ignoring me.

I love that gimmick.

Welcome to a2k
mark noble

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:33 pm
@reasoning logic,
Frank - I have you on ignore, I assure you. I truly give not a toss for anything you say.
Why would I?
You thinking otherwise is kinda self-centred.

RL, Why highlight Frank's post?
You enjoy spreading discord?
Best ignore you too then......sad twat.
reasoning logic

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 06:39 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
RL, Why highlight Frank's post?
You enjoy spreading discord?
Best ignore you too then......sad twat.

That is your choice Mark, Are you in the business of spreading your belief?
fresco

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 12:07 am
@reasoning logic,
As a general point which may or may not have raised before on this thread, I would point out that the only criteria for the "correctness" or otherwise of religions are psychological and social ones. The word "reality" is irrelevant since it cannot be objectively defined.

So on the basis of psychological and sociological criteria, I re-iterate my point that religion is predominantly a cognitive counterpart to our primate inheritance of tribalism. It functions psychologically as a palliative and a raison d'etre to cognate animals who are saddled with an idea of "their future", and at the sociological level it helps regulates societal behavior, especially modifying natural animal tendencies which are problematic to animals with a concept of "consequences".

Clearly the plethora of religious forms indicates the arbitrary nature of their narrative detail, and the universality of occurrence indicates their psychological and sociological functionality. However, it is historically obvious that they embody sociologically pernicious elements which exacerbate inter-tribal conflict and over-ride any psychological benefits they may have at the individual level. In that sense they are "wrong" on balance. However, general intelligence levels coupled with sociological conditioning embodied in the linguistic aspects of child rearing conspire to perpetuate religions to the extent that Dawkins' description of them as "cognitive virus's" makes some sense.
Frank Apisa

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 02:56 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Re: reasoning logic (Post 5304873)
As a general point which may or may not have raised before on this thread, I would point out that the only criteria for the "correctness" or otherwise of religions are psychological and social ones. The word "reality" is irrelevant since it cannot be objectively defined.

Aha...there are points being made about REALITY with which you disagree, so you are going to vote the word out of existence because it cannot be objectively defined.

Whatever IS, Fresco, IS!

That is the REALITY.

If each of us is living in a world of his/her own...then that is what is; that is the REALITY. If we are all one...if dualism IS NOT...then that is what is; that is the REALITY.

The REALITY...what actually IS...MAY not be dependent upon what anyone (or everyone) thinks about it. REALITY MAY be completely independent of any considerations we have about it.

Why don't you finally acknowledge that...rather than sticking with that religion of yours that defines (despite the difficulty of doing so) REALITY the way you want it to be?
fresco

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 05:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you for illustrating my point about "general intelligence levels" and the understanding of the nature of religions.
Frank Apisa

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 08:27 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Thank you for illustrating my point about "general intelligence levels" and the understanding of the nature of religions.

You are quite welcome, Fresco.

Least I could do considering the number of times you've illustrated my point that some people cannot resist pretending to know stuff they almost certainly do not know.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 08:37 am
@fresco,
Quote:
...However, it is historically obvious that they embody sociologically pernicious elements which exacerbate inter-tribal conflict and over-ride any psychological benefits they may have at the individual level. In that sense they are "wrong" on balance...

And then perhaps Fresco it is the other way around...the Darwinian need for competition feeds of Religion as it could feed of any other good candidate in order to sustain a good inter-tribal conflict...I very much suspect had Religion not flourished we would have exactly the same kind of problem motivated by any other fertile thematic prone to exacerbate cultural identity markers...in the end of the day it is quit entertaining to see how most atheists still believe in the devil after all... Laughing
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:13 pm
@FBM,
Understood, but let's acknowledge that everyone who is an atheist and a vehement critic of religion is hardly a personification of enlightened thought.

If the basis of one's "non-belief" is that people suffer and babies die, one can hardly be credited with a sophistication of thought.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:15 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Absolutely not. Any notion of a soul, ego, self is a fictional creation, a ghost in the machine, as it were. Mind is the function of body and body is a mental construct. There is only the experiences of life, but nobody to whom it is happening. Hence my A2K handle.

Certainty in an arena where certitude is impossible displays hubris.

Frank Apisa

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: JLNobody (Post 5303137)
JLNobody wrote:

Absolutely not. Any notion of a soul, ego, self is a fictional creation, a ghost in the machine, as it were. Mind is the function of body and body is a mental construct. There is only the experiences of life, but nobody to whom it is happening. Hence my A2K handle.

Certainty in an arena where certitude is impossible displays hubris.

JL, Finn is absolutely correct here!
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Glad to see you are certain he is !... Laughing
Frank Apisa

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:32 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Glad to see you are certain he is !...

What do you find funny about that?

Do you think I am not certain of some things?
Frank Apisa

Wed 17 Apr, 2013 04:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'll withdraw this response...but leave it up rather than delete it. It was posted too quickly.