How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

reasoning logic

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I'd rather you be accurate...and I am sure you would rather be accurate also.

Would you prefer that I post a link? I will if you would like.
reasoning logic

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 04:49 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:

@reasoning logic,
Quote:

Let me reword this just a little and I would like to ask if you could explain to me and others if this is relevant to the conversation or not.

OK so if I were to assert that "the probability" of the existence of 2 invisible elves on each side of your head having ear sex with your ears is less than "the probability" no invisible elves having ear sex with your ears...the burden of proof for that assertion falls on me, therefore you seriously doubt I could meet that burden? Really! Are you being serious? Are you saying that there may be to elves going at it because we do not know this for certain?

I am not trying to make fun of this logic but only trying to use absurdity to share my view point.

I do not mean this as an insult, RL, but I do want to congratulate you on your success at using absurdity to share your view.

As for the burden of proof...no matter what absurdity you use, if you make an assertion, the burden of proof does fall on you.
Signature To acknowledge what you do not know – is a display of strength. To pretend you know what you truly don’'t – is a display of weakness.

Not trying to be mean but you seemed to have expected for me to prove that the event could not have taken place. Am I wrong?
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 06:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
I would love it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 06:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
First of all...that is not a link.

Second...what I apparently wrote was:

"I do not mean this as an insult, RL, but I do want to congratulate you on your success at using absurdity to share your view.

As for the burden of proof...no matter what absurdity you use, if you make an assertion, the burden of proof does fall on you."

So...I am making a comment about the burden of proof. How do you translate that into anything else?
reasoning logic

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 06:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
First of all...that is not a link.

Second...what I apparently wrote was:

"I do not mean this as an insult, RL, but I do want to congratulate you on your success at using absurdity to share your view.

As for the burden of proof...no matter what absurdity you use, if you make an assertion, the burden of proof does fall on you."

So...I am making a comment about the burden of proof. How do you translate that into anything else?

Frank like I said I am not trying to be mean or hateful but rather sharing it as I see it.

You seem to be suggesting that if I can not prove that there are no invisible elves screwing you in your ears then I could be wrong is this incorrect?
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 06:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
RL...get off the fairies, elves, unicorns, flying spaghetti monsters...and all that crap, because no answer or response I make can make any sense if the question makes no sense.

Deal the with the question really in play:

Do we know the true nature of REALITY?

I do not. I do not know if there is a GOD; if there are gods; if there are no gods; if there are multiverses; if there are microverses; if there is self; if there is no self; if what we consider to be "the universe" is an illusion; if the naive realists are correct; if the non-dualists are correct...or any of that stuff.

Why does my acknowledgement of that lack of knowledge bother and annoy all you folk so much?

I am not saying I know nothing. I am willing to use the word "KNOW" in a way that gives meaning to a comment like, "I know I am typing at my keyboard at the moment" "my name on my birth certificate is Frank Apisa" "I know I enjoy conversations on A2K; I know the capital of France is Paris; I know Robert Downey, Jr. was in the movie Ironman; I know I am addressing this comment to someone using the screen name, reasoning logic.

I do not know the true nature of REALITY, RL...and I truly, h0nestly, human being to human being do not see any way to make a reasonable, meaningful guess about what must be included and what must be excluded from that REALITY.

What bothers YOU specifically about that? Be specific with me.

If you told me you do not know something...I would never go through what you and these others are going through to make that be a failing. I am interested in why you are investing so much effort into trying to make my acknowledgement seem an absurdity.

Can you accommodate me on that?
reasoning logic

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 06:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank I would like to reply in depth but I only have a few hours to sleep tonight so all that I can share with you is that I find you to be more logical than most and I hope that you can forgive me where I may have seem to let you down. Wink
BillRM

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 07:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I do not. I do not know if there is a GOD; if there are gods; if there are no gods; if there are multiverses; if there are microverses; if there is self; if there is no self; if what we consider to be "the universe" is an illusion; if the naive realists are correct; if the non-dualists are correct...or any of that stuff.

Occam's razor...........or a logical engineering minded approach to life instead of living a life full of fantasies seems far more fruitful
neologist

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 10:58 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

RL...get off the fairies, elves, unicorns, flying spaghetti monsters...and all that crap, because no answer or response I make can make any sense if the question makes no sense.

Deal the with the question really in play:

Why does my acknowledgement of that lack of knowledge bother and annoy all you folk so much?

I am not saying I know nothing. I am willing to use the word "KNOW" in a way that gives meaning to a comment like, "I know I am typing at my keyboard at the moment" "my name on my birth certificate is Frank Apisa" "I know I enjoy conversations on A2K; I know the capital of France is Paris; I know Robert Downey, Jr. was in the movie Ironman; I know I am addressing this comment to someone using the screen name, reasoning logic.

I do not know the true nature of REALITY, RL...and I truly, h0nestly, human being to human being do not see any way to make a reasonable, meaningful guess about what must be included and what must be excluded from that REALITY.

What bothers YOU specifically about that? Be specific with me.

If you told me you do not know something...I would never go through what you and these others are going through to make that be a failing. I am interested in why you are investing so much effort into trying to make my acknowledgement seem an absurdity.

Can you accommodate me on that?

Eloquently and logically spoken, Frank. But can you understand why some might embrace your point of view simply as a license?
Looking4Truth

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
RL...get off the fairies, elves, unicorns, flying spaghetti monsters...and all that crap, because no answer or response I make can make any sense if the question makes no sense.Deal the with the question really in play:Do we know the true nature of REALITY?I do not. I do not know if there is a GOD; if there are gods; if there are no gods; if there are multiverses; if there are microverses; if there is self; if there is no self; if what we consider to be "the universe" is an illusion; if the naive realists are correct; if the non-dualists are correct...or any of that stuff.Why does my acknowledgement of that lack of knowledge bother and annoy all you folk so much?I am not saying I know nothing. I am willing to use the word "KNOW" in a way that gives meaning to a comment like, "I know I am typing at my keyboard at the moment" "my name on my birth certificate is Frank Apisa" "I know I enjoy conversations on A2K; I know the capital of France is Paris; I know Robert Downey, Jr. was in the movie Ironman; I know I am addressing this comment to someone using the screen name, reasoning logic.I do not know the true nature of REALITY, RL...and I truly, h0nestly, human being to human being do not see any way to make a reasonable, meaningful guess about what must be included and what must be excluded from that REALITY.What bothers YOU specifically about that? Be specific with me.If you told me you do not know something...I would never go through what you and these others are going through to make that be a failing. I am interested in why you are investing so much effort into trying to make my acknowledgement seem an absurdity.Can you accommodate me on that?

You have wisdom my friend. We no practically NOTHING compared to ALL things.
Fil Albuquerque

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:51 pm
@Looking4Truth,
It seams to me you had to know the extension of all things to make that claim... Mr. Green

...all the while is funny that your "almost nothing " can only refer to what exists that you know...whatever else out there that you don't know is like non existent to you so where is that comparison coming from ?
Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:04 am
@reasoning logic,
Take your time, RL.

I've gotta go play some golf this morning. We'll talk later.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:05 am
@BillRM,

Could be, Bill. I find Occam's razor to be one of the big waste-of-time elements of philosophy...and I honestly do not see how it impacts on what I said in the passage that you quoted.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:08 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Eloquently and logically spoken, Frank. But can you understand why some might embrace your point of view simply as a license?

Absolutely, Neo. MANY might consider my point of view to be all sorts of things. All I can say is that I am speaking the truth from my perspective...and the questions I asked RL (and anyone else here) are sincere. I am trying to understand why people are so antagonistic to the position, "I honestly do not know the true nature of REALITY...and I am unable to make any meaningful guesses about it."

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:11 am
@Looking4Truth,

Thanks, Looking4Truth.

This "existence" is so very, very perplexing! I understand why some people seem to think they have figured it out. Some people simply have to have a GOD exist; some simply have to have existence without any gods; some have to have the universe be an illusion; some have to have self, no-self, soul, no soul.

Me...I just have questions...and I am willing to acknowledge that I do not know what I do not know.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:13 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Re: Looking4Truth (Post 5304063)
It seams to me you had to know the extension of all things to make that claim...

...all the while is funny that your "almost nothing " can only refer to what exists that you know...whatever else out there that you don't know is like non existent to you so where is that comparison coming from ?

I do not understand your point, Fil.

What claim...specifically. Quote the claim...and tell me why the claim seems "funny" or whatever else you think about the claim?
Fil Albuquerque

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:30 am
@Frank Apisa,
This one made by Looking4truth :

Quote:
You have wisdom my friend. We no practically NOTHING compared to ALL things.

Go read Descartes I think therefore I am n you will get my point soon enough...
Frank Apisa

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:33 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil...you do understand that I am NOT saying that I know nothing, right?

I do know things.

But as for the true nature of REALITY...I simply do not know what IS and what ISN'T.

For all I know...the REALITY that I think exists is something that came into being 60 seconds ago...my total existence complete with all its memories.

I DO NOT KNOW THE REALITY.

Why are you so antagonistic to my acknowledgement that I do not know...or that I do not know if I know?

Why?
BillRM

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
For all I know...the REALITY that I think exists is something that came into being 60 seconds ago...my total existence complete with all its memories.

I DO NOT KNOW THE REALITY.

So what??????????

That "theory" is not testable in any way and does not affect your life one way or another even if true.

Dreaming up very very very low order theories about reality that are not testable is about as pointless as trying to calculate the numbers of "angels" that can dance o the head of a pin.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Tue 16 Apr, 2013 03:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Because on a matter of coherence you have to apply the very same principle to your very own doubting...who's to say your best informed guess is not the case ? Whether such correspondence amounts to knowledge I said yes you say no but none of us said I don't know...do you grasp the argument of a current in Philosophy that states that Reality it is your own experience and why it is so don't you ? So it might be the case that you do know all there is to know about reality even if you are not aware that the knowledge you have is complete...

By the way, my last post to which you replied wasn't addressed to you...