How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

FBM

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:29 pm
@JLNobody,
What would the "ground" of one's being be?
tenderfoot

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:49 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

What would the "ground" of one's being be?

Doesn't seem to be the "drug" of religion.... but that leaves plenty of other drugs to do the trick.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:50 pm
@FBM,
I understand it to be the Reality out of which we have emerged and to which we will return--but of which we have always been despite our ego-defined alienation.
Setanta : Razz
FBM

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 06:52 pm
@JLNobody,
Hmm. Do you think that something came into your body and will leave it after the body dies?
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 09:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't find Bill's views offensive per se as much as childish. Folks who spout off about how the religious are essentially ignorant, superstitious primitives and use puerile arguments to support their charge irritate me.

As for you question, of course I am flawed.
FBM

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 09:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Just to clarify what I've said so far: The religious behavior I complain about is that of only those theists who behave as though they were ignorant, superstitious primitives. What people believe is none of my business until they make it mine by bothering either me or the society I live in. Except for that, I couldn't care less what goes on in someone else's head. I've got enough stuff going on in mine to keep track of. Smile
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 09:32 pm
@reasoning logic,
Fil has thought about it long and hard and he is confident of the quality of his thought. It doesn't mean he is right, just that along the way he has bypassed or abandoned much that is the result of poor or lazy thinking.

However, in this case he is too focused on semantics. Whether or not his definition of all-powerful is correct it hardly places a limit on God unless he believes God is limited by the adjectives humans use to describe him. I doubt he would be so foolish to believe this though, so I think he's just having fun.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Sun 14 Apr, 2013 11:48 pm
@FBM,
Absolutely not. Any notion of a soul, ego, self is a fictional creation, a ghost in the machine, as it were. Mind is the function of body and body is a mental construct. There is only the experiences of life, but nobody to whom it is happening. Hence my A2K handle.
FBM

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 01:11 am
@JLNobody,
Are you Buddhist? That's a very insightful statement.
JLNobody

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:20 am
@FBM,
I can't say I'm a Buddhist in the sense of a member of an international institution of followers who focus on precepts for living and sacred rituals and mythologies. That's just as "religious" as the Christianity that I left in my youth. It is more accurate to classify me as a practicioner of a "Western" version of Zen Buddhism. There is a difference.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:21 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Any notion of a soul, ego, self is a fictional creation, a ghost in the machine, as it were. Mind is the function of body and body is a mental construct. There is only the experiences of life, but nobody to whom it is happening. Hence my A2K handle.

That is an interesting blind guess, JL.
JLNobody

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 11:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
Smile You are irrepressible. Bless you.
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 12:35 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5303421)
You are irrepressible. Bless you.

Thank you. I truly like you...and enjoy our conversations. I hope you realize that.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
That is an interesting blind guess, JL.

No trying to be disrespectful or anything but do you think that it could possibly hold more credibility than your guesses about the invisible fairies that I have mentioned in the past that might be doing you in your ears without you noticing the event taking place?

Not trying to be funny or mean but I am rather interested in what you think of the differences in probability may be.
georgeob1

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:40 pm
@reasoning logic,
[quote="reasoning logic'] "How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?"
[/quote]

You can't.
reasoning logic

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
[quote="reasoning logic'] "How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?"

Quote:
You can't.

Will you please explain why you find it to be a possibility that Ganesha and other Gods may be correct?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:52 pm
@reasoning logic,

Quote:
No trying to be disrespectful or anything but do you think that it could possibly hold more credibility than your guesses about the invisible fairies that I have mentioned in the past that might be doing you in your ears without you noticing the event taking place?

What were my guesses?
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:53 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You can't.

We certainly agree there, George.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
What were my guesses?

To be accurate I would have to research but I thought that you said it was a possibility.
Frank Apisa

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
To be accurate I would have to research but I thought that you said it was a possibility.

I'd rather you be accurate...and I am sure you would rather be accurate also.