How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

izzythepush

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 02:45 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

As a young teacher doing referee duty for a kids soccer match I remember being verbally abused by parents from either side

I'd have abused you too for using the s word. It's called football.
fresco

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 02:45 am
@najmelliw,
I find myself torn between agreement with what you say about 'responsibility' and the analysis of 'self' as a inconsistent 'illusion'. I also think I have an understanding (via a meditational mode) that when the 'self' dissipates and linguistic thinking subsides, what may be left may simply be selfless concern for others.... a religious axiom ! ! Shocked

But on a lighter note, we might simply decide that what is going on here ( or in any live debate) is just a bit of 'social dancing'. We each trigger in each other 'the next move' and we go away elated or despondent according to audience response. Genteel warfare ? Very Happy
0 Replies

fresco

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 02:54 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry Izzy. I'm indulging in what is technically termed 'communicative convergence' with our U.S. colleagues in mind . If I were lalking only to you Ii'd be daft as a brush to use 'soccer'. Mr. Green
izzythepush

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 10:26 am
@fresco,
They need to learn that what they call football is soft lad's rugby. That's its proper name, and they won't learn anything if you keep using the s word.
camlok

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 10:29 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They need to learn that what they call football is soft lad's rugby. That's its proper name, and they won't learn anything if you keep using the s word.

This is always what happens when you try to give advice about the English language, Izzy. You screw it up royally.
reasoning logic

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 10:43 am
@camlok,
Quote:

This is always what happens when you try to give advice about the English language, Izzy. You screw it up royally.

Are you sure its not just his way of letting the forum know he is a soft lad?
camlok

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 10:52 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Are you sure its not just his way of letting the forum know he is a soft lad?

I don't know the meaning of a soft lad. Does it mean gay, a momma's boy, ... ? Either would be fine by me.

I just wish he would stop giving his always bad advice on the English language.
reasoning logic

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 11:03 am
@camlok,
Quote:
I don't know the meaning of a soft lad.

Softlad
Originating from Liverpool, a slang term meaning 'idiot' or 'stupid', but in a nicer way. Equivalent to Cockney people using the term, 'plonker'.
camlok

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 11:06 am
@reasoning logic,
Gee, do you think, reasoning logic, that it might occur to Izzy that different dialects of English have different meanings for the same word/words?
0 Replies

camlok

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 11:08 am
@reasoning logic,
Does the meaning include a feeling/meaning of "soft in the head"?
reasoning logic

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 11:11 am
@camlok,
I guess it could have many meanings
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 3 Sep, 2018 11:44 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I was wondering what my Christian friends thought about this. (Girl performing ' Hallelujah ' on violin

The tension between the uplifting melody and the pain and anger in the actual lyrics are a beautiful illustration of the struggle we all go through in trying to figure out what suffering in this life means.
steven bill

Tue 4 Sep, 2018 05:10 am
@Leadfoot,
there is no suffering in life--it is only the word we make out of it. what stands in the way, is only a way.
on this topic generally. i would say that you cant have an athiest change if he does'nt think he has a spirit in him. only a spirit can see spirit things and understand them.
if not, cold logic is all you get, with a big ignorance to things logic cant explain itself.
fresco

Tue 4 Sep, 2018 11:56 pm
@steven bill,
Replace 'spirit' with 'sedative' or 'hallucinogen' and you have a good illustration of the opiate properties of religion ! Wink

Atheists are simply 'non-users'.
cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 11:23 am
@fresco,
Good analogy.
camlok

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 11:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
You don't recognize that you too, hold this same blind devotion, ci.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 01:35 pm
@steven bill,
Quote:
there is no suffering in life--it is only the word we make out of it. what stands in the way, is only a way......

Please don’t embarrass yourself and the beliefs you claim with tripe like this.

Thank you.
cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 01:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
there is no suffering in life--
Wow~! That's the very first time I've read anything like that. I don't know what sort of reality Steven lives in, but he should visit those living in poverty all around the world - not knowing where their next meal is coming from. https://www.politifact.com/subjects/hunger/
Leadfoot

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 01:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I’ve been in poverty and I’ve been well off. I have friends who are very wealthy and always have been. I haven’t seen any exceptions to suffering in life. Money does not seem to make any difference one way or another.

Same way with happiness..
0 Replies

camlok

Wed 5 Sep, 2018 01:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Wow~! That's the very first time I've read anything like that. I don't know what sort of reality Steven lives in, but he should visit those living in poverty all around the world - not knowing where their next meal is coming from.

Such a highly selective "compassionate" "human being", ci.