How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

BillRM

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
No hubris there.

Perhaps a little but not in the class of the people that claims to have a direct pipeline to god and can speak for him such as the Popes of the catholic church.
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:36 pm
@BillRM,
But you've made it clear that such people are somewhere in the vicinity of the lowest of the low and so I don't understand why you might choose to compare yourself to them?
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:37 pm
@BillRM,
"A little" Cool
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
But you've made it clear that such people are somewhere in the vicinity of the lowest of the low and so I don't understand why you might choose to compare yourself to them?

If we were to be intellectually honest "would you think that Bill was sharing his views of reality and that they seem to be a bit offensive to you, so you are behaving just a little bit hostile?

I know that I can get many things wrong in my studies of human behavior, "that is why I like to ask questions rather than make assumptions.

I do think you are very intellectual but I think that you may have many of the same problems as the rest of us, "do you agree?
neologist

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:47 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Quote:
So, you are in favor of God's intelligent creatures all being well behaved puppets
Having an all knowing and all powerful god means that his or her or it creatures can do nothing that he or she or it does not allow.
So you like the puppet idea? Right? Say so.
BillRM wrote:
Therefore a creature such as the devil who at one time was god chief angel is doing god bidding and hardly can be his her or it Adverary.
Well, the rebel called Satan, was not the chief angel, but that is beside the point. He has free will. He used his free will to rebel. The consequence of his rebellion will be his eventual demise
BillRM wrote:
By the way the christian god is always address as a male and unless there are females gods around that is kind of silly unless he is going to go the way of the Greek or Roman gods and mate with humans.
Same gods who were mentioned in Genesis, chapter 6, BTW.
BillRM wrote:
But then we have the strange case of Mary and the holy ghost so who know for sure as the bible seems unclear how the "virgin" Mary got with a child that is the son of god.
Didn't actually read the bible, eh?
reasoning logic

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:52 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

Are you being sarcastic or do you think Bill has never read the bible?
neologist

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
All powerful mean that nothing in the universe can do a damn thing he does not allow and all knowing means that free will or no free will not one of his creatures can do a damn thing that he will not have predicted from the beginning of the universe he created.
Your definition places a restriction on God's power. An all powerful God has no more obligation to foresee your moral outcome than you are to read the last page of the whodunnit.
neologist

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
No hubris there.

Perhaps a little but not in the class of the people that claims to have a direct pipeline to god and can speak for him such as the Popes of the catholic church.
No one is here denying the excesses of the clergy. We merely point out these are not the fault of God.
neologist

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

Are you being sarcastic or do you think Bill has never read the bible?
Both, of curse
reasoning logic

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:11 pm
@neologist,

Quote:
Both, of curse

Why do you find it necessary to jinx or curse Bill?
reasoning logic

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:14 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Your definition places a restriction on God's power. An all powerful God has no more obligation to foresee your moral outcome than you are to read the last page of the whodunnit.

Do you think that you are more qualified than bill to be a Gods spokes person and if so why?
FBM

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:34 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Most religious people aren't violent, don't oppress or harass anyone, don't kill in the name of their deity, nor do they reject education and modern medicine. When I complain about religion, I'm actually focusing on those who do any of those things.

Religion people are not completely connected to the real universe and while most are not dangerous they are unpredictable and if the wrong kind of person can convicted them that he is an agent of god they will do things like the mass poisoning of their own children.

Religion people to the degree that they believes in irrational fairy tales can be turn into a danger by anyone who can work on those fairy tales.

Yeah, but we can't bust somebody for being a potential criminal. We've gotta wait until they do something bad. Otherwise, we'd sink into totalitarianism.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:38 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

BillRM wrote:
All powerful mean that nothing in the universe can do a damn thing he does not allow and all knowing means that free will or no free will not one of his creatures can do a damn thing that he will not have predicted from the beginning of the universe he created.

In fact you are wrong an all powerful God only means a God that can do what can be done...that might be a lot or not much at all depending on what can be done...

...for instance when I say "God" has no power (rather is the source of power) I mean to say God is not an active entity, God is the entirety of what is real timelessly, and thus it does not act, rather IT IS ! (the idea that you can divide what is real in creation and creator, or any other sub set partition for that matter, automatically assumes time and space as background, a before and after, a here and there, a "you" and "me"...no final set can have such characteristics, it cannot be processed/computed either, meaning such partition it is a stupid idea !)
tenderfoot

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:42 pm
@neologist,
I don't.
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:44 pm
@imans,
Don't understand your reason for writing this???
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:45 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
In fact you are wrong an all powerful God only means a God that can do what can be done...that might be a lot or not much at all depending on what can be done...

I often get many things wrong but it seems that you may be suggesting that a God has laws of nature that he can not overrule?
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:46 pm
@reasoning logic,
Yes God cannot overrule anything once he is everything he cannot overrule his own nature God cannot be not God...God, is Nature...
reasoning logic

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Yes God cannot overrule anything once he is everything he cannot overrule his own nature God cannot be not God...God, is Nature...

How are you able to speak of this matter as if you understand it empirically?
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:54 pm
@reasoning logic,
I am an opinionated intrepid self righteous sun of a...well lets say I think upon it for quite some time now...it is my main and almost solo interest in Philosophy...the remaining is just politics... Laughing
Fil Albuquerque

Wed 10 Apr, 2013 07:10 pm
@reasoning logic,
If you come back to the old battered theme of nothingness being nothing or better put nothingness does not exist you immediately will get why I say that if God is everything God cannot be not God...you see all these things are related...but there is a good question regarding God which can prove a challenge...if you ask me to fit Infinity inside God a finite set I can only pull a loop for explanation...a sort of a fractal, a loop sequence of phenomena curved upon itself...
0 Replies