How does one choose? how does one know?

Ravenfeeder

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:35 pm
Most people don't have the luxury of pausing their lives to consider whether or not it's the right life for them. Even now that's true for the majority of humans, and the opportunity to muddle it over is a modern issue for anyone but the really rich.

That is why religion has been and is such an important element of life...it allows a framework for 'right' living and have done so for centuries to the satisfaction of adherents. Choosing what is right for one's self is a difficult and time consuming process that many people prefer to avoid.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 10:20 pm
Re: How does one choose? how does one know?
visavis wrote:
This has been a pang in my life and I can see it in my more intelligent friend's lives.. how does one choose one path? how do you choose one wife/husband how does one choose a theory, a religion or no religion a God or no God.. How do you know your right? one can say being right doesnt matter - its how you lived your life.. how do you know that that isnt just a heap of crap?

"All I know is that I know nothing" - profound in the way that being 'sure' is impossible. With the possibility of dissmissal theorists or 'zen wannabes' even so called 'facts' are in question. With the capitolism of america ripping apart the fabric of what was once a society, idiot leaders doing stupid things to great people... its insainity...

So we are like some 6 billion *perverbial* dogs running around the park of 'life' sniffing eachother's butts and chasing our tails..

Why must it be one path? You are obviously concerned with many many things going on in the world right now. Live in the grey areas. Dogmatic adherence to any 'one' way is precisely the thing you seem to be against. You raise an interesting question here, but quite frankly, it needs more focus. Here's a question, why should 'choice' be different from 'instinct'? I also happen to agree with you regarding Communism. Marx's fatal flaw was not considering human nature.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 11:29 pm
If you don't know how to choose, you aren't really living. It's not a matter of choosing one thing out of many, or to the exclusion of everything else - it's a matter of choosing as many things as possible.

And if you can't do whatever you want most, whether it's "right" or not, what's the point?
0 Replies

plausibility

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:37 am
Response
mainly what i want to say is on the next response
0 Replies

plausibility

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 12:49 am
plus
and you know if you have wonderance if your right and pain's wrong, I'd tend to agree. And if you get dilemaized just sit back and know ther's some people out there who can get past them in all likelyhood. Cuase i've seen a few instances where I have
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2005 07:40 am
Jer wrote:
If you feel you need to choose "one path" I think this is it:

Don't hurt other people on purpose. The rest is just details...

I like you Jer. Very Happy

"When nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do. Because that's all that's left."
-Angel.
0 Replies